holestin cowboy24 Registered User
#1

nearly that time of the year again so when calving starting

starting here from 2oth January onwards

degetme Registered User
#2

holestin cowboy24 said:
nearly that time of the year again so when calving starting

starting here from 2oth January onwards


Due acc to icbf on 23rd of jan bt should be expecting them to start on 16th

#3

not worrying about calving until after Christmas. Do the bare minimum now till 1st of jan

mahoney_j Registered User
#4

Scratching me hole till late jan then going full tilt.first cow due 28 jan hopefully straight to grass.closed at afc 740 but after walking around today I'd say it's growing at the very least 12/15 a day

1 person has thanked this post
#5

15th Jan first one is due here, like that with gestation lengths these days could be a week earlier.

#6

First one due Christmas Day. :-)

#7

mahoney_j said:
Scratching me hole till late jan then going full tilt.first cow due 28 jan hopefully straight to grass.closed at afc 740 but after walking around today I'd say it's growing at the very least 12/15 a day


You'd want to see a doctor bout that mahoney

11 people have thanked this post
tismesoitis Registered User
#8

1st due 2 days ago but carrying to lim so 1st few days in jan and it'll be all systems go.

#9

Milked out said:
You'd want to see a doctor bout that mahoney


Wouldn't worry till he starts dragging himself around the yard on his hole

5 people have thanked this post
Timmaay Registered User
#10

1st one due 22nd Jan, so prb means a week earlier, going to be (hopefully!) a very busy Jan trying to get this parlour in, would be great to get it in before the big rush of calving starts! In future I'll leave calving until Feb 1st, only early this year with the sexed straws. Similar to MJ an early turnout would be great, I was only down the feild today (with the tractor, not a mark in the ground from it!), paddocks with covers of 1500 already and it's not yet Xmas, most the farm has come back strong! We are still sending maidens out by day, plenty grass for them. I got a feeling it will all be a totally different story when it comes to Feb 1st unfortunately!

1 person has thanked this post
stanflt Registered User
#11

First ones due 6th jan but 4 calves born in the last 2 days

Will have to stop serving for 2 months this year coming

1 person has thanked this post
mahoney_j Registered User
#12

Thought I was clear this year but out this morning to find a foetus at bottom of scrapper run,for a change it was a cow that was going anyway after this year ,lovely Bb calf due mid feb.vet on way to blood.not expecting any abnormalities as salmonella vaccinated and all milk neospora results negative.4 years on the hop I've had a cow do this after dry off.so anyway my calving season has started !€

#13

mahoney_j said:
Thought I was clear this year but out this morning to find a foetus at bottom of scrapper run,for a change it was a cow that was going anyway after this year ,lovely Bb calf due mid feb.vet on way to blood.not expecting any abnormalities as salmonella vaccinated and all milk neospora results negative.4 years on the hop I've had a cow do this after dry off.so anyway my calving season has started !€


Bit like the same thing that's happening my friend. Only its happening to heifers and they cone full term just still born.
Has blooded them when they went to grass blooded at bulling blooded at scanning blooded when housed and blooded when calved and can still find nothing abnormal.
Really vexing

mahoney_j Registered User
#14

Greengrass1 said:
Bit like the same thing that's happening my friend. Only its happening to heifers and they cone full term just still born.
Has blooded them when they went to grass blooded at bulling blooded at scanning blooded when housed and blooded when calved and can still find nothing abnormal.
Really vexing


Tell them to get iodine in water soon as gg,had same problem years ago here and soon as iodine hit water all clear.icc per cow per day of lugiols iodine in water troughs.put it in right through calvings season and during breeding season

#15

mahoney_j said:
Tell them to get iodine in water soon as gg,had same problem years ago here and soon as iodine hit water all clear.icc per cow per day of lugiols iodine in water troughs.put it in right through calvings season and during breeding season

Yeh I said that to him and he said they've been doing it makes no difference

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!