2forjoy Registered User
#2,491

john_doe. said:
Starnge it uses so much Anthracite. That should generate some serious heat.

I also find odd about these products , is their high content of PET coke.
My stove manual warns against high content PET coke products as below.

Maybe I'm not intrepreting this correctly.

6. FUEL GUIDELINES
 This Boru Stove is fitted with a multi-fuel grate, which means that fuels such as; seasoned
wood, peat (both with a moisture content of less than 20%) and peat briquettes. Coal can
be used in moderation. But NEVER burn coal as a primary fuel.
 DO NOT use fuels with a high calorific value, petroleum coke content and/or petroleum
based products.

Petroleum coke has a very high carbon content and is virtually ash free. Ash plays an
important role when fuel burns as it helps to modify the combustion process e.g. the fire
bed temperature forms an insulating layer at the base of the fire to protect the grate from
direct contact with the burning fuel. With such low ash content in petroleum coke the fuel
tends to burn at a higher temperature than mineral fuels. The components of solid fuel
burning appliances are not generally designed to cope with the intensity of the heat that is
generated by the burning of petroleum coke based fuels. High petroleum coke products
are not as strong as approved fuels and are very prone to splitting causing hot embers to
be ejected from the stove or causing a second burn in the ash pan, this could lead to an
unsafe condition. High petroleum coke products can produce excessive soot deposits
because of incomplete combustion due to high moisture, leading to a risk of fire in the
chimney or liners. Burning petroleum based fuels will push your stove beyond it’s design
capability. This will over fire your stove and void your extended warranty.

@ john.doe

I was looking at the link to the make up of these , and one thing it tells me is that none of the round ovids are manufactured in Northern Ireland . So I wonder who makes the CW ones ?

john_doe. Registered User
#2,492

2forjoy said:
@ john.doe

I was looking at the link to the make up of these , and one thing it tells me is that none of the round ovids are manufactured in Northern Ireland . So I wonder who makes the CW ones ?

A lot I reckon are imported and bagged, someone on thread said there are hundreds of rebagging operations. For example I was using Hayes fuels , which are all bagged under that companies name, however on their website , they clearly state they are importers and distributors.

Didn't find any website like the UK one for ROI but maybe we don't regualte it as heavily.

Rows Grower Registered User
#2,493

vicwatson said:
Is there anything to be said for a bargain at all at all?

Gone be with the days when we burned whatever was there and we were lucky to have it.

I have a load of turf, wood, coal, ovoids and slack ready for the winter.

The chimney needs a clean and then we'll be good to blaze up the stove again.

No real cold there yet.

Berberis Registered User
#2,494

Have been burning the champion coal from http://www.coaldirect.net/fuel-products the last two nights and very happy with it so far.
Good flame and heat from it. None of the smokey smell I got from the black diamond I got from CW a few years back.
Also noticed that the coal has burnt down well and am getting nowhere near the large lumps of rock and cinder I had been getting from the CW black diamond

1 person has thanked this post
jmreire Registered User
#2,495

Have been burning the champion coal from http://www.coaldirect.net/fuel-products the last two nights and very happy with it so far.
Good flame and heat from it. None of the smokey smell I got from the black diamond I got from CW a few years back.
Also noticed that the coal has burnt down well and am getting nowhere near the large lumps of rock and cinder I had been getting from the CW black diamond[/QUO

Just to be sure, it's the Champion Coal, you are speaking about, and not the Champion Doubles? And transport is included in the price to the South of Ireland?

Berberis Registered User
#2,496

Berberis said:
Also noticed that the coal has burnt down well and am getting nowhere near the large lumps of rock and cinder I had been getting from the CW black diamond[/QUO

Just to be sure, it's the Champion Coal, you are speaking about, and not the Champion Doubles? And transport is included in the price to the South of Ireland?

Correct on all points

tomslick Registered User
#2,497

jmreire said:

Correct on all points

Just put in an order on the back of your recommendation.

bigron2109 Registered User
#2,498

So my experience with Coal Direct. I Ordered a ton of coal last Wednesday morning . Order the Coalite as the lads who I spoke to said it was ovoids. Got a email on Monday to say it was dispatched. No coal on Tuesday so emailed on Tuesday night , and then Wednesday and called on Wednesday evening and was told I would get a callback.

No callback but received a email to say it would be here on Thursday morning and it was the couriers fault. Come 2.00pm on Thursday still no coal. Emailed again and was told it would be the evening. Eventually came on Thursday around 4.30pm.

Two of the bags were opened so got a look at the coal. Seems very like Easyglows large ovoids. One thing I did notice was that there seemed to be water in some of the bags even though they were wrapped well.

I will burn a bag at the weekend and let you know who they go but so far I’m not impressed with the service .

4 people have thanked this post
loki7777 Registered User
#2,499

I would say condensation is normal. I had few bags in shed for few months and when opened coal was wet. I assume it wasn't full plastic bag and that's why you have water inside.

#2,500

loki7777 said:
I would say condensation is normal. I had few bags in shed for few months and when opened coal was wet. I assume it wasn't full plastic bag and that's why you have water inside.

When I was putting them into the shed you could hear the water and when I was taking them off the pallet there was a lot of black water. They were not the plastic bags. More netted bags.

Bazzy Registered User
#2,501

I got a ton of Superflame from Coal direct

Very impressed with it so far.

Leaves very little ash never a cinder there at all always just powder

And phenomenal heat off it

Very Impressed

taytobreath Registered User
#2,502

bigron2109 said:
So my experience with Coal Direct. I Ordered a ton of coal last Wednesday morning . Order the Coalite as the lads who I spoke to said it was ovoids. Got a email on Monday to say it was dispatched. No coal on Tuesday so emailed on Tuesday night , and then Wednesday and called on Wednesday evening and was told I would get a callback.

No callback but received a email to say it would be here on Thursday morning and it was the couriers fault. Come 2.00pm on Thursday still no coal. Emailed again and was told it would be the evening. Eventually came on Thursday around 4.30pm.

Two of the bags were opened so got a look at the coal. Seems very like Easyglows large ovoids. One thing I did notice was that there seemed to be water in some of the bags even though they were wrapped well.

I will burn a bag at the weekend and let you know who they go but so far I’m not impressed with the service .

Well..hows the coal going, I see a tonne of this stuff is the same price now as the coal warehouse ovoids. I dont know will this tempt me to change though as I'm happy enough with the coal warehouse stuff.

Just looking at the bags of the coalite and it says to be used on open fires. So are they suitable for stoves?

#2,503

taytobreath said:
Well..hows the coal going, I see a tonne of this stuff is the same price now as the coal warehouse ovoids. I dont know will this tempt me to change though as I'm happy enough with the coal warehouse stuff.

Just looking at the bags of the coalite and it says to be used on open fires. So are they suitable for stoves?

To me it seems the very same as the Easyglow stuff I got last year. Burns the very same, gives off the same heat and also in the morning there is only ash left. I’ve never purchased from Coal warehouse so can’t comment on their stuff. I can only compare it to Easyglow which I bought a ton of it last year .

I’d have no problem buying another ton at the same price from Coal Direct of Coalite .

Works perfectly in stoves too. Had no issues lighting it either.

taytobreath Registered User
#2,504

bigron2109 said:
To me it seems the very same as the Easyglow stuff I got last year. Burns the very same, gives off the same heat and also in the morning there is only ash left. I’ve never purchased from Coal warehouse so can’t comment on their stuff. I can only compare it to Easyglow which I bought a ton of it last year .

I’d have no problem buying another ton at the same price from Coal Direct of Coalite .

Works perfectly in stoves too. Had no issues lighting it either.

Is there much ash left?

#2,505

taytobreath said:
Is there much ash left?

Very little .

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!