ED E Registered User

They've published!

The government has published a new map outlining in detail 700,000 rural homes and businesses which will be connected to state-subsidised broadband of at least 30 megabits per second (Mbs) from 2016.

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/revealed-700000-homes-and-businesses-to-get-subsidised-fast-broadband-in-new-plan-30769126.html

Edit: Video

10 people have thanked this post
MajesticDonkey Registered User

Is there any list or detailed map to view?

EDIT: here: http://www.broadband.gov.ie/

3 people have thanked this post
Jakey Rolling Registered User

Searchable map at http://www.broadband.gov.ie/

As expected, my house is not on it as it's only been there for 3 years :-(

This is a massive step in the right direction, an acceptance that government intervention is necessary to bring a decent level of service to all. Yes it could cost taxpayers €1billion, but the benefits to the economy should be orders of magnitude relative to this cost.

Here's hoping that the European Commission see sense on this one wrt state aid regulations.

1 person has thanked this post
Praetorian Registered User

I am very sceptical due to past experience with regard to government announcements. Fibre everywhere is what we should be aiming at.

Wireless AND 4G is what will end up with, with far less than 100% coverage.

Let's hope this plan actually goes somewhere and isn't a complete shambles and/or disappears into thin air like previous plans.

I don't expect to see anything from this (for NBP areas) before 2018 at the earliest.

Bummer1234 Registered User

When this comes around to "2016", How is it been implemented...is it fibre in all the locations in blue?

Edit: Seen on the indo it mentions "new state-funded fibre broadband network".

Villain Registered User

The devil will be in the detail but the plan is a great target

2 people have thanked this post
bk Moderator

Praetorian said:

I'm not so sure this time around. The government got burned by Three with 3G on the last National Broadband Plan. In their submissions to the government, all the heavy hitters (Eircom, ESB, Vodafone, etc.) stressed that FTTH was the only solution for rural broadband. Eircoms submission was particularly impressive. I see little wiggle room for the government to push 4G instead.

3 people have thanked this post
MBSnr Registered User

bk said:
I'm not so sure this time around. The government got burned by Three with 3G on the last National Broadband Plan. In their submissions to the government, all the heavy hitters (Eircom, ESB, Vodafone, etc.) stressed that FTTH was the only solution for rural broadband. Eircoms submission was particularly impressive. I see little wiggle room for the government to push 4G instead.

I wonder why they haven't marked all the villages on the map that they mentioned here.
Seems they just coloured the entire country in amber.... which surely means wireless to a large percentage outside of the those villages....

shortys94 Registered User

Do you think solutions such as FTW could be incorporated, similar to Westnet in the western regions. I know they're speeds are limited to under 4 Mbps but I have family who use their services and have a very low latency due to the contention ratio I suppose in those rural areas.

Does anyone have any ideas on what kind of solutions they could possibly provide for a minimum of 30 Mbps with consistent connection, not prone to drops of 3G etc...

bk said:

Hey, maybe we'll become another South Korea and start developing 6G!

(5G already in development...around 800Mb/s theoretical download in lab tests)

Villain Registered User

MBSnr said:
I wonder why they haven't marked all the villages on the map that they mentioned here.
Seems they just coloured the entire country in amber.... which surely means wireless to a large percentage outside of the those villages....

There are some odd blue circles that I'm not sure of, i.e. what is going to deliver 30mbps by 2016 e.g. east of Shillelagh in Wicklow.

pajor Registered User

Praetorian said:
I am very sceptical due to past experience with regard to government announcements. Fibre everywhere is what we should be aiming at.

I'd be very skeptical (and a bit cynical too) about it all. I'll believe it when I see it.

I saw the blue and amber map just there. My jaw dropped a little realising how much of this country needs government intervention to supply fixed broadband. Must be so crippling for rural business.

bk Moderator

shortys94 said:
Do you think solutions such as FTW could be incorporated, similar to Westnet in the western regions. I know they're speeds are limited to under 4 Mbps but I have family who use their services and have a very low latency due to the contention ratio I suppose in those rural areas.

Does anyone have any ideas on what kind of solutions they could possibly provide for a minimum of 30 Mbps with consistent connection, not prone to drops of 3G etc...

No, FTW shouldn't be included with perhaps the exception of the most extreme of extreme case (one off house on the top of a mountain, island off the coast, etc.)

In their submissions to the NBP, Eircom, ESB and Vodafone made it clear that FTTH was the only technology that could bring reliable high speed broadband to rural Ireland.

Eircoms submission was particularly impressive and detailed. They said if the requirement was a steady, stable, minimum 30mb/s connection that:

- 4G would actually cost more then FTTH to reach that level of performance!
- They could use VDSL mini-dslams, FTTdp, etc. to achieve those speeds, but again it would lead to much higher maintenance cost then just doing FTTH.

Ronan|Raven I Believe I Can Fly!

I feel like we have been here before..

6 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!