montgo Registered User

Oh, no! the website has been updated, now can only search with +/- 5 yrs instead of 20 yrs, the wild card does not appear to work and you have to enter at least one first name or any combination of the child's/parents' first names to search.

Searching now is going to much more difficult.

shanew Registered User

also they added a subscription option ranging from €25 p.m. for 1 month, to €18.75 p.m. for 1 year

removing the wildcard option is going to make searches more difficult..

pinkypinky Moderator

And a subscription service!

https://rootsireland.ie/ifhf/subscribe.php

€25 for a month

T&Cs include a fair usage policy:

We have a fair usage limit for subscribers, but we deliberately set it very high (1,000 views in 1 month; 7,000 views in 6 months; 15,000 views in 12 months. If you do manage to reach the limit, you will need to wait for the next calendar month of your subscription to start searching again (when your monthly limit is automatically reset).

Credits conversion:

If you have existing credits in your account purchased in the last 12 months under our previous service of Pay Per View credits (and our previous terms and conditions) you can continue to use them to search and view records on the site until they are used up. However, the Pay Per View service is being closed down and no further purchases of credits can be made commencing 24th September, 2014.

If you wish to use the Subscription Service we will facilitate you in converting the remaining Purchased Credits in your account against the value of any of the three subscriptions offered. However, on conversion of your paid credits into a Subscription your Pay Per View free search credits will also expire.

When you choose to use your Existing Purchased Credits towards purchasing a Subscription you are accepting that your previous contract with us under the Pay Per View system is null and void. Any remaining free search credits will not be carried over to the new Subscription service. You will not be able to return to the Pay Per View service once you have used your remaining credits towards purchasing a Subscription. However, any records that you have paid to view in the previous 24 months will still be available to you to view. These records will be deleted from your account 24 months from the date that you purchased them using the Pay Per View service as per the terms and conditions that were in effect when you purchased the credits.

Once you have used your credits towards paying for a subscription of your choice you will be accepting the terms and conditions of use of the site as they relate to the Subscription Service only.

All prices quoted are in Euro (€ GBP (£ and USD.

VAT at the current Irish rate is included in the price. We only offer VAT receipts to non-EU customers on personal purchases over €150, subject to a €25 administration fee.

Ponster Moderator

That's a shame. Their search engine was one of the best things out there for Irish records. Having to enter a first name makes it difficult to the point of useless for how I used to use it.

pinkypinky Moderator

Yes, I was just checking. You should be able to search with just a surname. Since they've moved to a subscription model, what difference does it make?

Ponster Moderator

pinkypinky said:
Yes, I was just checking. You should be able to search with just a surname. Since they've moved to a subscription model, what difference does it make?

I don't know but I think I might ask. It's almost like they punish people with their new model.

montgo Registered User

So does this mean that you can download as many records as you need within 1 month for 25Euros?

shanew Registered User

much easier to find possible siblings with wildcards, or even blank firstnames - not sure why they've restricted that for the subscription model as it will just make people do more searches to find the details..

pinkypinky Moderator

Ponster said:
I don't know but I think I might ask. It's almost like they punish people with their new model.

I just tweeted them about it.

chrysagon Registered User

plenty of other options out there, and i have dont mine, without the use of that site.

shanew Registered User

still getting used the search validation, but it looks like any one first name will do for a search - child, father or mother

shanew Registered User

and at least you can still do a marriage check, although the 5 year window is a bit restricting sometimes

1 person has thanked this post
Ponster Moderator

We were perhaps spoilt with the old window without realising it.

L1011 Moderator

Ponster said:
We were perhaps spoilt with the old window without realising it.

Nothing on the old, or new, systems could be considered "spoilt" - it was chronically dear and still is!

1 person has thanked this post
montgo Registered User

The +/-5 yr window is very restrictive when you didn't even have to input any year before. Searching is going to take much longer.
I have read the Ts & Cs but still can't see how many records that you can download during the month's sub. 1000 searches seems reasonable.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!