White Clover Registered User
#2,926

Danzy said:
Was thinking that, from having been in -20 and finding it much nicer than -2 here.

I was wondering if it would wear them down eventually, would they burn feed just standing still in that.

Isn't it hard to imagine how fast driving rain can wash condition off a finishing animal.

A little extra feed is all it would be. Cattle would be way more stressed/unsettled if it was wet.

1 person has thanked this post
golodge Registered User
#2,927

We keep weaned calves in barn. All other cattle( cows, breeding heifers, herd bull, nursing calves) spend winter outside. Have been doing that for ~6 years. Had much colder winters, with temperature lower than -25 for a week or longer, sometimes lower than -30. Cows get as much hay as they want. They usually spend more time in the shed if weather is bad, like snow storm, wet snow, or very strong wind. Had no health problems so far. Cows loose abit of condition during winter if they have a calf by their side, but they put on weight quickly once grazing season starts.

10 people have thanked this post
Base price Registered User
#2,928

Base price said:
There was a scheme run by the IHFA that had a silver tag with the bulls code printed on the back. I have one at home tagged to a very old body warmer (that I still wear) and will post a pic when I'm back.
I remember tagging calves with silver tags like patsy's ones and they came on a strip of triangle piece of cardboard with 12 tags on it. The brass tag was put in by the Vet at the annual herd test.
Edit to add - Cattle in those days had silver tags, brass tags, ear notches and ear punches. It was a wonder they had any ears left.

I think I was wrong when I said that the scheme was run by the IHFA. It was probably run by the various Milk Boards around the country.
LDT - Leading Star (100% FR/HO) I presume is related to Starbuck (HHK) in his back breeding.

Limestone Cowboy Registered User
#2,929

I said I'd be nice to them with the snow coming the yellow heifer and black bull to the right of her were both reared by one black whitehead cow.

Attachments
IMG_4153.JPG
10 people have thanked this post
Muckit Registered User
#2,930

They are in super condition although l'd say you carry something on your back every time you come in the gate and you probably go back to jeep a second time!??

3 people have thanked this post
Base price Registered User
#2,931

Limestone Cowboy said:
I said I'd be nice to them with the snow coming the yellow heifer and black bull to the right of her were both reared by one black whitehead cow.

How's the weanling with the sore on his shoulder. Did you find out what caused the wound?

#2,932

Muckit said:
They are in super condition although l'd say you carry something on your back every time you come in the gate and you probably go back to jeep a second time!??

2 bags up on the shoulder, no going back for a second trip

5 people have thanked this post
#2,933

Base price said:
How's the weanling with the sore on his shoulder. Did you find out what caused the wound?

I haven't a clue what caused it, cleaned around it and it looks to be closing up. He's none the worse for wear after it anyway.

2 people have thanked this post
Muckit Registered User
#2,934

Have one here with an abscess. She's not limping with it and foddering away. Will it drain itself?

Had one get one onfront shoulder during summer. It went down by itself.

Attachments
20170111_205739.jpg
rangler1 Registered User
#2,935

Muckit said:
Have one here with an abscess. She's not limping with it and foddering away. Will it drain itself?

Had one get one onfront shoulder during summer. It went down by itself.

It can be a bruise either like what you'd get yourself from a hurt.
Could be congealed blood in that lump and it gets reabsorbed back into the body,

Reggie. Registered User
#2,936

rangler1 said:
It can be a bruise either like what you'd get yourself from a hurt.
Could be congealed blood in that lump and it gets reabsorbed back into the body,

I had one that haday a lump on its side. Left it in the crush for about an hour and the rubbing off the bar massaged it down and for the fluid to get absorbed

Muckit Registered User
#2,937

Yes and you are probably right Rangler1. Looking online and sure you know yourself worse thing you could do as be making thing out to be worse than it really is! Sure first I went oh sh*t was she in calf and throwing it!

I have it spotted now and will observe closely. Probably if twas septic she would be off form, which she is not. Only for I went into back of pen I wouldn't have it spotted at all.

Mooooo Registered User
#2,938

If the vet here sees those he'd normally Lance it under local anesthetic to make sure everything comes out. But he would also give a course of antibiotics as well. Have had a few and they may break out or go away. If not bothering the animal would leave it for a bit and see if it gets better or worse first

#2,939

A few more weanling heifers.

18 people have thanked this post
Muckit Registered User
#2,940

Savage.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!