Terrance Peterson Registered User
#1

Hello,

I was wondering if there is anyone here who is currently doing GEM at UL on the university's scholarship scheme? I'm interested to know things such as how many scholarships are awarded (unlikely that anyone might know, I know) and when did you find out that you were successful in your application? I have applied to UL and hopefully will be attending this September.

On UL's GEM webpage they state that "students applying for entry to graduate entry medicine should not be inhibited if successful in their application due to lack of financial support".

However, I have heard that prospective students don't find out if they are successful until they are already enrolled onto the course. This means I would have already had to pay (correct me if i'm wrong) at least the first semester of fees as well as physically moved to Limerick and paid for accommodation. If this scholarship is designed to help students from socio-enomoniclly disadvantaged backgrounds then why do they not let students know if they have got the scholarship before they enrol?

Any help or general conversation from other scholarship hopefuls would be appreciated also. Thanks...

Bloomberg Registered User
#2

I haven't yet sat the GAMSAT, I'm going for UL also and I'm expecting to receive the scholarship on the basis of socio-Eco disadvantage if I'm lucky enough to get through the exam successfully an get in September year.
I inquired about it about 2 months ago and she said that they work very closely with the access office at UL. If you look up access course at UL, the considerations are similar to that of the scholarship for GEM such as
- welfare dependence
- family background- living in a so called rough estate/council house
- looking for some deprivation being experienced basically
Background is key-your parents-their professions- applicants with a lone parent is something they will probably regard as putting someone at some sort of disadvantage... There being only one income- more susceptible to poverty or risk of.
Also the girl I bought my GAMSAT notes off said to me that there were about 5 people in her year who got it, and was surprised when one of the guys got it despite his mum being a teacher and being fairly financially secure- he was under the impression it was due to the fact he was living in a rough area in Limerick that got him it..

If your planning on going this September and you haven't received either a letter or email regarding the scholarship and the process, that seems strange, usually they take your application in March and then they close application about June- I think it's in two stages... I am not certain though but you should get in touch with GEM scholarship, there emails on UL website and see what's happening! Best of luck.
Don't take what I've said as concrete because it's only what I've been told or heard!

Terrance Peterson Registered User
#3

Thanks for the reply!

I sat the GAMSAT in the UK last September so I already have a satisfactory score. Also, I have already completed the scholarship forms, I am just waiting to hear back from them. My problem is that apparently I won't hear back about the outcome of my scholarship application until I have already enrolled onto the GEM course...

loopylulu Registered User
#4

Do any of the other med schools offer similar scholarships? First I've heard of it, but
I hadn't looked at UL as an option as I'm a single parent and childcare would be in Dublin. However, if there was a chance of any financial assistance in UL then that changes things!

Bloomberg Registered User
#5

Yes UL is the only college that offers it in Ireland, given that Limerick itself is more disadvantaged than most cities- it seem that it's trying to cater for that community really.

1 person has thanked this post
Terrance Peterson Registered User
#6

loopylulu said:
Do any of the other med schools offer similar scholarships? First I've heard of it, but
I hadn't looked at UL as an option as I'm a single parent and childcare would be in Dublin. However, if there was a chance of any financial assistance in UL then that changes things!


UL is the only university that offers this scheme in Ireland or pretty much anywhere that I can see...

pc11 Registered User
#7

Terrance Peterson said:
UL is the only university that offers this scheme in Ireland or pretty much anywhere that I can see...


This is correct. And it's true you won't find out if you're successful until some weeks after you start in UL. You wouldn't want to bank on it.

1 person has thanked this post
loopylulu Registered User
#8

Thanks for the info. Yes it would be a huge gamble to put UL first, accept offer and move to Limerick and then not get the scholarship. Not like I could transfer back to Dublin at that stage. It's such a huge amount though. I wonder do the other colleges have student assistance funds for GEM's. Do they have the view that we already have degrees and most likely gave u a job to do GEM so not exactly in dire need of financial help?

pc11 Registered User
#9

loopylulu said:
Thanks for the info. Yes it would be a huge gamble to put UL first, accept offer and move to Limerick and then not get the scholarship. Not like I could transfer back to Dublin at that stage. It's such a huge amount though. I wonder do the other colleges have student assistance funds for GEM's. Do they have the view that we already have degrees and most likely gave u a job to do GEM so not exactly in dire need of financial help?


As stated already, there is no financial assistance available anywhere else, sorry. I looked very hard for it last year.

I don't think they have any views either way. It just costs what it costs, then it's up to us to figure it out. They are of course aware it's not easy, but there's nothing to be done really. Each year the class fills up, so people do manage, not that it's easy obviously.

Terrance Peterson Registered User
#10

pc11 said:
As stated already, there is no financial assistance available anywhere else, sorry. I looked very hard for it last year.

I don't think they have any views either way. It just costs what it costs, then it's up to us to figure it out. They are of course aware it's not easy, but there's nothing to be done really. Each year the class fills up, so people do manage, not that it's easy obviously.


You are right pc, there is literally nowhere else that offers this type of scholarship. Its such a crazy gamble to pay at least the first semester and literally move to UL before you know if you have got it or not but its a gamble I might have to take...

#11

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has had success with the scholarship?

Thanks

Terrance Peterson Registered User
#12

Hello there. Yes I was successful, thankfully! If I had not got it I would have left the course and it would have crushed me! What about you yourself...?

loopylulu Registered User
#13

Terrance when did you find out? had you already accepted UL and moved to Limerick? currently waiting on gamsat results and trying to figure out what I'll do if I get a decent score.

Terrance Peterson Registered User
#14

loopylulu said:
Terrance when did you find out? had you already accepted UL and moved to Limerick? currently waiting on gamsat results and trying to figure out what I'll do if I get a decent score.


I found out I got it like 2 weeks into the course. I had already moved down to Limerick, got accommodation etc. I would have had to go home if I hadn't got the scholarship. I got denied the GEM loan from Ulster Bank as you have to have banked with them for 2 years before you apply for it. That is something I didn't know. I had been planning to come to Limerick for about 3/4 years but didn't know that otherwise I would have opened an Ulster Bank account like 2 year ago. There is also a loan from Bank of Ireland but they probably have some other type of stipulation like that, best to phone and check now.

Best of luck with your GAMSAT and let me know if you've any more questions...

1 person has thanked this post
loopylulu Registered User
#15

I got denied the GEM loan from Ulster Bank as you have to have banked with them for 2 years before you apply for it. That is something I didn't know. I had been planning to come to Limerick for about 3/4 years but didn't know that otherwise I would have opened an Ulster Bank account like 2 year ago. There is also a loan from Bank of Ireland but they probably have some other type of stipulation like that, best to phone and check now.
QUOTE]

Thanks Terrance!
Gosh that is fairly bad to find out so late on the loan! None of the UB loan guidelines say you need to bank with them for 2 years
I think I'm going to have to stick with Dublin, otherwise would need to sort out a new school and childcare if I move to Limerick. I'll just have to hope hope BOI will offer the loan next year. Anyway, not very optimistic about gamsat results.

Hope you are enjoying the course

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!