Crapbag Registered User
#1

Hi all,

I've had a lot of interest from people looking to come out with us here in the Irish Bushcraft Club. Unfortunately our club is now at capacity and we will only be running closed events for members within the club.

However, We are hoping to aid anyone interested in starting a club of similar ethos and values when it comes to Bushcraft. We are a member club of Mountaineering Ireland and are required to adopt certain policies around 'Leave no trace' and other guidelines around the use of Mountain areas which are good guidelines for people who use the Mountains and Woodlands around the country.

Starting this club with the help of others has been one of the most rewarding things I've ever done and I sincerely encourage people, that if you are passionate about bushcraft to start a club of your own. Through the club, I have gained a lot of knowledge by learning through a community of like minded people and gained great friends too. As a club we have been to almost every county in the country practicing Bushcraft. As well as visits to the UK, Sweden & Norway.

Boards.ie is where this club was started, so I think it fitting that we try get another club up and running using the same means.

If you are interested in what we do and possibly starting something similar, post it here and I will try do my best to answer questions or meet up with people if needed.

Here is what we do
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055315103&page=26

Here is who we are
http://www.irishbushcraftclub.org/

1 person has thanked this post
ciaran.mmc Registered User
#2

Hi, I really wanted to join Bushcraft Ireland and I was talking to Donal (Crapbag?) and I might just start my own group for Cork and maybe Munster but if I start it I'd probably be looking to go all over Ireland and I'd also be interested in going to Scotland but I could probably do with a couple of other experienced people. I'll put up some other posts on this later. It's a real shame Bushcraft is full as I would have loved to join but maybe this will be a good opportunity to start our own one. CiaranMMC.

ciaran.mmc Registered User
#3

I'm looking into it anyway at the moment. I only even started thinking of starting my own group similar to Bushcraft earlier this morning after talking to Donal from Bushcraft.

ciaran.mmc Registered User
#4

I'll put up what I emailed to Bushcraft Ireland now via copy and paste. :-)

ciaran.mmc Registered User
#5

This club looks great and I would be really interested in joining. I'm not if you are the crowd that were on the late late show but regardless your club and website look great. I have a good bit about 10 or so years worth of camping experience under my belt and at the moment I am looking to go over to Scotland or maybe d a bit of free camping but I am trying to convince I a couple of the guys from my school to do with or get a couple of friends to go but this club looks good as it is full of other people with similar interest. Can you give me an email back with any info I'd need and I'd look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks, Ciaran.


*Also I have since realised that this a different club to that one on The Late Late Show, but I actually think I might have preferred joining this one or starting something similar to it.

Pat Mustard Category Moderator
#6

Mod

ciaran.mmc,

You have posted the same content in the main Bushcraft thread. Please don't post duplicate content, because it's against boards.ie spam rules.

I have removed the duplicate content now.

It is possible for you to edit your posts to include further content, rather than entering further, similar posts on the same subject.

Thanks.

Crapbag Registered User
#7

Hi Ciaran,

To be honest I hate that we have had to close to new members. Initially we had discussed having different 'branches' of the same club in different provinces. However after discussing this in depth, we decided against this. Simply to avoid the bureaucracy of a large organisation.

Also separate clubs are free to implement things that we haven't. For instance, our club is for adults only. Where another club might want people to be able to bring out their kids. Same for pets, we have a no pets policy in our club. Others might want to have their pets on site. That's fine. Therefore a new club would have the ability to implement different policies in that regard. Where we can help is the administration and speaking to Mountaineering Ireland.

Remember that MI are a National Governing Body of Ireland and are associated with the Sports Council of Ireland. Therefore there are certain policies that Mountaineering Ireland expect to have implemented by their member clubs which need to be considered. The benefit of going through MI is that clubs receive public liability insurance for their activities with which they can approach land owners with. It makes an organisation look more professional and conscientious when approaching people in relation to land use.

We are prepared to help with the formation of any club who wants to learn and practice bushcraft. If the club/group you are hoping to form has a completely different set of ideals or principles, then we would not be the people to talk to. However I would love to work with others who are passionate about Bushcraft

ciaran.mmc Registered User
#8

Yeah thanks, I think to be honest for this kind of thing you want to be at least 14 or 16 and have had previous experience camping maybe. Maybe starting a new club with some similar ethos might be good. Also going through MI might be good. Probably too early to talk about thgis but did you have to approach Coilte Ireland and how did you get on with that. It would be interesting to know.. Ciaran.

Crapbag Registered User
#9

To be honest my interaction with Coillte has been mixed. Initially it was all very positive, I was emailing their head of recreation at the time the club started. Then it went quiet all of a sudden and I heard nothing from them. However we do have permission in a Coillte forest through the club, thanks to a local contact

You have to understand that Coillte are a commercial operation and are not obliged to open their commercial forests to the public other than providing through ways for day walkers. However there are exceptions to this around other activities. Bushcraft on the other hand is different. We light fires and this could be viewed as a threat to a commercial crop which is understandable. Most of their experiences of people lighting fires in the woods would probably be negative. Im sure everyone has seen the ugly fire rings and cans left everywhere by irresponsible campers.

My advice to anyone looking to use a Coillte wood is to interact with them on a local level. Speak to the local forest manager. Having the backing of MI here is huge. It shows that not only do you have Public Liability insurance but that you are conforming to policies such as 'Leave no trace' guiding the club on the use of Wilderness areas.

ciaran.mmc Registered User
#10

Crapbag said:
To be honest my interaction with Coillte has been mixed. Initially it was all very positive, I was emailing their head of recreation at the time the club started. Then it went quiet all of a sudden and I heard nothing from them. However we do have permission in a Coillte forest through the club, thanks to a local contact

You have to understand that Coillte are a commercial operation and are not obliged to open their commercial forests to the public other than providing through ways for day walkers. However there are exceptions to this around other activities. Bushcraft on the other hand is different. We light fires and this could be viewed as a threat to a commercial crop which is understandable. Most of their experiences of people lighting fires in the woods would probably be negative. Im sure everyone has seen the ugly fire rings and cans left everywhere by irresponsible campers.

My advice to anyone looking to use a Coillte wood is to interact with them on a local level. Speak to the local forest manager. Having the backing of MI here is huge. It shows that not only do you have Public Liability insurance but that you are conforming to policies such as 'Leave no trace' guiding the club on the use of Wilderness areas.


Yeah very important to light fires responsibly like digging a hole a surrounding with stones. I agree being part of MI and being a club would make a huge difference. Thanks for the advice. Ciaran.

Crapbag Registered User
#11

ciaran.mmc said:
Yeah very important to light fires responsibly like digging a hole a surrounding with stones. I agree being part of MI and being a club would make a huge difference. Thanks for the advice. Ciaran.


Lighting fires is an important skill in bushcraft. What I would suggest if you are thinking of forming a club, is maybe do a course. It doesn't need to cost the world or be a week long or be with Ray Mears personally but it does give you an insight into the skills you will be practicing in your club. If you can't afford a course, that's fine. Read bushcraft forums, look up skills on YouTube but above all, get out and practice

Personally, using stones around and fire and digging a hole is not something I would regularly do. I wont go in to the ins & outs of my experience with fires but it does highlight the need to practice some basic skills

ciaran.mmc Registered User
#12

Crapbag said:
Lighting fires is an important skill in bushcraft. What I would suggest if you are thinking of forming a club, is maybe do a course. It doesn't need to cost the world or be a week long or be with Ray Mears personally but it does give you an insight into the skills you will be practicing in your club. If you can't afford a course, that's fine. Read bushcraft forums, look up skills on YouTube but above all, get out and practice

Personally, using stones around and fire and digging a hole is not something I would regularly do. I wont go in to the ins & outs of my experience with fires but it does highlight the need to practice some basic skills



To be honest I'd have always just used a gas stove and never really had a need or an opportunity to be lighting fires but it might be a good skill to learn especially for something like Bushcraft. If I was on my own I probably would be just using a gas stove.

ciaran.mmc Registered User
#13

Probably could do with a bit of looking up first if I was going to be using fires

thehippychippy Registered User
#14

ciaran.mmc said:
To be honest I'd have always just used a gas stove and never really had a need or an opportunity to be lighting fires but it might be a good skill to learn especially for something like Bushcraft. If I was on my own I probably would be just using a gas stove.


I'm heading back to mayo in may for another Grey Wolf Bushcraft course with MacTire bushcraft. Well worth the money for the amount of knowledge and experience gained and a sound fella running it too.

1 person has thanked this post
Crapbag Registered User
#15

thehippychippy said:
I'm heading back to mayo in may for another Grey Wolf Bushcraft course with MacTire bushcraft. Well worth the money for the amount of knowledge and experience gained and a sound fella running it too.


Colm seems like a dead sound bloke. I've never met the man but any email conversations I've had have been very positive

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!