elperello Registered User
#3,616

Atlantic Dawn said:
Yes you are getting 2.6 litres for €10 so it's the same as paying a shade under €2 per 500ml can, however the difference between the 5% and 4.3% is night and day, it's delish.

Plus, if you are only having the one

I got 8 of those white cans of Guinness for €8 this morning.
It's a special edition to commemorate the 120th anniversary of the birth of John Gilroy who designed the classic Guinness ads of the 30's/40's.

I'll drink to his memory tonight.

1 person has thanked this post
rubadub Registered User
#3,617

Atlantic Dawn said:
Yes you are getting 2.6 litres for €10 so it's the same as paying a shade under €2 per 500ml can.

It is likely from the same vat and just diluted down more, it is all brewed & canned/bottled in holland. I think the 5% is meant to be brewed higher too and diluted down. Guinness is too.

The nutritional info might give it away, if the 5% declare it, I noticed the 4.3% cans do now declare it.

It is 2.6L, but if it was diluted to 4.3% it is 3023ml, so at 10euro works out 1.65 per 500ml 4.3% can. Or 1.09 per 330ml bottle of 4.3%

xpletiv Registered User
#3,618

rubadub said:
It is likely from the same vat and just diluted down more, it is all brewed & canned/bottled in holland. I think the 5% is meant to be brewed higher too and diluted down. Guinness is too.

The nutritional info might give it away, if the 5% declare it, I noticed the 4.3% cans do now declare it.

It is 2.6L, but if it was diluted to 4.3% it is 3023ml, so at 10euro works out 1.65 per 500ml 4.3% can. Or 1.09 per 330ml bottle of 4.3%

28 people have thanked this post
hatrickpatrick Registered User
#3,619

This debate reminds me of the following post from Reddit regarding Lidl cider vs beer (Galahad) in terms of value:

Lidl Cider, 5.3%, €3.79 for 2L. It can't be beaten.
3.79/(5.3*2) = 36c per unit of alcohol to 2 SF
Whereas your Galahad is 14.79/(20*2) = 37c per unit of alcohol to 2 SF.
Now, this is obviously is quite close and ABV won't be constant from batch to batch, so we might expect that some cans of Galahad offer a better alcohol:cost ratio than some bottles of Lidl Cider. HOWEVER, as the number of cans and bottles approach infinity, the probability of the Lidl Cider drinker getting better value than the Galahad drinker approaches 1.

And as everyone here knows, the number of cans and bottles should always approach infinity

Deal-wise, didn't see it mentioned here but the Sunday World had a Dunnes €10 off €50 spend voucher a few weeks ago - which I presume is still usable in Tesco as well. So that puts an end to "newspaper vouchers are a thing of the past", should keep an eye out for more over the next while.

Atlantic Dawn Registered User
#3,620

SuperValu
Heineken 20x330ml bottles €18
They also still have Guinness 8 for €8

10green bottles Registered User
#3,621

18 x Orchard Thieves for €20 in Tesco Longwalk Dundalk (bad photo,kids were with me)
About 16 packs left today at 6pm.

893bet Registered User
#3,622

Baileys on offer anywhere?

#3,623

893bet said:

€15 for 700ml in SuperValu, expires end of the day tomorrow.

rubadub Registered User
#3,624

893bet said:

extremely surprised to see it is 10euro for 700ml in tesco.
https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=255249776

alid from 10/2/2018 until 14/2/2018

must be a valentines "thing". I was all set to say it is only really on offer at xmas.

xpletiv Registered User
#3,625

Tenner for baileys! Cracker

#3,626

SuperValu
Smirnoff 700ml €18
Absolut 700ml €20

3 people have thanked this post
Mister Gooey Registered User
#3,627

Any good whiskey deals out there? The stocks at home are running low 😔

phunkadelic Registered User
#3,628

Mister Gooey said:
Any good whiskey deals out there? The stocks at home are running low ��

Few whiskeys here:
https://www.obrienswine.ie/spirits/spirits/current-offers.html

peejay1986 Registered User
#3,629

Anyone recommend a good place to buy a nice bottle of gin? If there's deals on some nice Irish-made brands then even better.

The_Conductor Moderator
#3,630

peejay1986 said:
Anyone recommend a good place to buy a nice bottle of gin? If there's deals on some nice Irish-made brands then even better.

O'Briens have Drumshanbo Gunpowder gin @ 44 a bottle?
Local offies- often have gin events (such as Kenny's Offlicense in Lucan Village- who showcase a different Irish gin on a regular basis).

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!