o1s1n Registered User

Recently I came across those horrific pictures of Dawson's Amusements being torn down in Bray and realized - I have absolutely zero photos taken inside any Bray arcade!

Are there photos anywhere? (or any other Irish arcades for that matter?)

Googling turns up zero results (which is sad in itself ), but I'm sure there are photos out there somewhere...

Optimus Prime Roll Out...

There is a few old photos on the Mosney facebook page of the old arcade. seen those bray ones before. not sure about others, im sure someone has some somewhere, id love to see them.

1 person has thanked this post
o1s1n Registered User

Never thought of searching through Mosney pictures, good idea. Here's one. For am moment I though that 2p machine in the middle was a candy

4 people have thanked this post
Steve X2 Moderator

I've been on to the RTE archives about getting some pics and vids of Irish arcades, inside and out.
They're not exactly super helpful but I'm still working on it.

3 people have thanked this post
o1s1n Registered User

Steve SI said:
I've been on to the RTE archives about getting some pics and vids of Irish arcades, inside and out.
They're not exactly super helpful but I'm still working on it.

Good luck! There's whole dark, dingy, smoked filled 'bleepy' 'bloopy' documentary waiting there for the making.

My dad always says he remembers a really up market, adult focused arcade in Dun Laoghaire full of 'those sit down table top arcade machines' - I'd love to see photos.

Think I roughly remember the layout.

The big Arabian Derby machine was almost there as you came in, with the dodgems & Waltzer in behind.
The arcade machines were to the left iirc, with the slots in an extension to the far left, and on the right was the 2p pushers, and the other stuff you played to win tickets/tokens (I know "skeeball" was one, can't really remember the rest) to buy various toys with.

CiDeRmAn Category Moderator

There was at least two arcades wasn't there?
I remember playing Virtua Racing there for the first time, and they had lots of traditional cabs.
I imagine they all might be still there, rotting away

4 actually

Dawsons, Star Amusements (still there), Fun Palace down the other end (still there as slots only now), and a small one I think was called Esplanade which only lasted a few years.

Mr.Saturn Registered User

I'd love to see something of Quirkey's set-up from its glory-years, or even its brief late-90s/early-00s revival with the TTT scene. It's all foggy, but the vague memories of the kit they had in there was impressive. They've still got a little something, something down back.

Caesar's Palace in Phibsboro got cannibalized into a Quirkey's annex, and the sole remaining hint of it ever being anything other than a slot-gaf is the Tekken 6 cabinet off to the side as you enter. I'd like to see something from when it stood proud as an arcade.

o1s1n Registered User

It's gas how many foggy memories from these places exist, but no damn actual imagery! I have so many memories of Dawsons and Fun Palace, but don't think I actually took a single photo there over the years. Even The Fun Factory had an arcade.

Maybe the Mammy has some stored away in all those tomes of photos.

1 person has thanked this post
CiDeRmAn Category Moderator

Actually I was talking about Money.
And no, don't think I'm in that shot.
Most of my childhood snaps are in black and white

I wonder if the arcades there are still there, or have they been cleared for accommodation/dining space for the new inhabitants?

Are those poor souls having their spirits lifted with Gradius on free play?

CiDeRmAn said:
Most of my childhood snaps are in black and white

2 people have thanked this post

CiDeRmAn said:
Most of my childhood snaps are in black and white oil paintings

That's true, still...

Kidchameleon Registered User

Mods, sorry for digging up old thread. The links to the photos are gone, would you guys be able to re share. I was in Bray yesterday and I remembered all the good times I had in Dawsons, I would love to see some photos. What was the place beside Dawsons called? Man, Bray was arcade heaven to me

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!