Fred Swanson Registered User
#151

Just rang them there now, absolutely no bother changing the allocated seating. For a fee of course.

mambo Registered User
#152

I wish Ryanair wouldn't say "randomly allocated seat". They are NOT randomly allocated, rather they are allocated in a logical sequence.

random (adj.): made, done, or happening without method or conscious decision.

1 person has thanked this post
lucian_lcr Registered User
#153

I'm trying to understand if "Ryanair would split groups on purpose", just to convince us to pay for an allocated seat on our next flight. Is there anybody here that:

- travelled (with Ryanair in the last month) in a small (2-6 persons) group, all on the same reservation
- didn't pay for allocated seats and
- got separate seats?

Is so, how long before departure did you check-in?

I'm asking this because I suspect they try to put people (travelling on the same reservation) together, if possible (if they don't check-in in the last minute).

Fred Swanson Registered User
#154

On the 2 flights I have been on since they brought in the allocated seating, no one had purchased the exit row seats. So I would imagine that they would seat a group in these seats together even if you checked in late. Looking at seat maps for my upcoming flights very few of the premium seats have been allocated.

In the end they had to ask people to sit in the exit rows just before take off.

1 person has thanked this post
mambo Registered User
#155

mambo said:
I wish Ryanair wouldn't say "randomly allocated seat". They are NOT randomly allocated, rather they are allocated in a logical sequence.

random (adj.): made, done, or happening without method or conscious decision.


In fact a complaint could probably be made to the Aviation Regulator or National Consumer Agency that this is misleading advertising, and the wording presumably deliberately chosen by Ryanair to try to scare people into paying extra to choose their seats?

Anyone know to which it would be best to report Ryanair?

Or maybe highlight this to Aer Lingus and let them make the complaint :-)
(Ryanair recently made a successful complaint against Aer Lingus I seem to recall)

spurious Category Moderator
#156

The new system doesn't like Firefox too much (it was not letting me check in for only one leg), but seems to work OK with Internet Explorer.

lc180 Registered User
#157

mambo said:
In fact a complaint could probably be made to the Aviation Regulator or National Consumer Agency that this is misleading advertising, and the wording presumably deliberately chosen by Ryanair to try to scare people into paying extra to choose their seats?

Anyone know to which it would be best to report Ryanair?

Or maybe highlight this to Aer Lingus and let them make the complaint :-)
(Ryanair recently made a successful complaint against Aer Lingus I seem to recall)


Ah here! Seriously? You want to report them to the consumer agency? And I thoughti was having a bad morning.....

1 person has thanked this post
Fred Swanson Registered User
#158

I can't see the assigned seating lasting long. I was on the flight to Bucharest on Sunday and it left late due to the assigned seating. 3 problems I could identify.

1. People joining the priority boarding queue that did not have priority boarding.
2. People using the wrong door to enter the aircraft. These people were sent back to the correct door to board.
3. People sitting in the wrong seats.

This caused a 20 minute delay. Also I noticed that some had printed 2 boarding cards on the same piece of paper. This also caused problems for the crew.

Gatica Registered User
#159

Fred Swanson said:
I can't see the assigned seating lasting long. I was on the flight to Bucharest on Sunday and it left late due to the assigned seating. 3 problems I could identify.

1. People joining the priority boarding queue that did not have priority boarding.
2. People using the wrong door to enter the aircraft. These people were sent back to the correct door to board.
3. People sitting in the wrong seats.

This caused a 20 minute delay. Also I noticed that some had printed 2 boarding cards on the same piece of paper. This also caused problems for the crew.


There's no cure for stupidity....

mambo said:
In fact a complaint could probably be made to the Aviation Regulator or National Consumer Agency that this is misleading advertising, and the wording presumably deliberately chosen by Ryanair to try to scare people into paying extra to choose their seats?


I don't think one can make a case for "I'd like it to be more random"... Most random number generators are not that random either, there's a predictable pattern, the repeat rate is just really high but is one of the main vulnerabilities in security.
Unless you were joking, I suppose....

mambo Registered User
#160

Gatica said:

I don't think one can make a case for "I'd like it to be more random"... Most random number generators are not that random either, there's a predictable pattern, the repeat rate is just really high but is one of the main vulnerabilities in security.
Unless you were joking, I suppose....


I wouldn't like it to be more random. Just for Ryanair not to use the word "random" when it's NOT random, but sequential. Saying automatic seat assignment is "random" will presumably lead more people to pay to choose their seats out of fear that they won't be sitting with their travelling companions if they don't cough up extra €€€, and perhaps is a deliberate ploy by Ryanair, who, let's face it, use every trick in the book to try to squeeze extra revenue from each and every passenger.

Gatica Registered User
#161

Although I don't like Ryanair, I don't see any issue with that model myself.

lucian_lcr Registered User
#162

Fred Swanson said:
I can't see the assigned seating lasting long. I was on the flight to Bucharest on Sunday and it left late due to the assigned seating. 3 problems I could identify.

1. People joining the priority boarding queue that did not have priority boarding.
2. People using the wrong door to enter the aircraft. These people were sent back to the correct door to board.
3. People sitting in the wrong seats.

This caused a 20 minute delay. Also I noticed that some had printed 2 boarding cards on the same piece of paper. This also caused problems for the crew.

Even with average persons (that know they have an allocated seat and know which one it is), the allocated seat boarding method is very slow. Why? Because every person that tries to take his seat, blocks the aisle for at least a few seconds to even a minute. Now, if the persons waiting in queue don't have an allocated seat, they might take the seat that is right next to them, so they will NOT block the queue once again. But with the allocated seating, everybody will block the queue when they arrive to their precise seat, so for a much longer time (in total) than with random seating.

So, unless Ryanair will find a solution to fasten the boarding process, they will continue to face delays on their flights. And I suspect they will not renounce on the "the on-time airline" slogan so easy!

Gatica Registered User
#163

They'll just make their flight times longer so they'll still arrive "on time"...

3 people have thanked this post
spurious Category Moderator
#164

lucian_lcr said:


So, unless Ryanair will find a solution to fasten the boarding process, they will continue to face delays on their flights. And I suspect they will not renounce on the "the on-time airline" slogan so easy!


Do away with the overhead baggage things and make them put the bag under the seat in front. If it's the right size it will fit. If it doesn't fit, 100 euro please.
They'd be sitting down quick enough then.

2 people have thanked this post
lucian_lcr Registered User
#165

How about making you pay a fee if you don't take your seat in less than 10 seconds?

2 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!