Newstarter1 Registered User

Evening All

Passed a speed van last night, but didn't see it in time. I saw a little flash when I was really close and then another as I was passing it. I'm guessing this does not bode well for me, although when I did spot it I checked my speed and it showed about 3kms over. Is there any chance those flashes were for someone behind? Does anyone know from what distance the camera records your speed? Am dreading the next few weeks waiting for the post...

Newstarter1 said:
Evening All

Passed a speed van last night, but didn't see it in time. I saw a little flash when I was really close and then another as I was passing it. I'm guessing this does not bode well for me, although when I did spot it I checked my speed and it showed about 3kms over. Is there any chance those flashes were for someone behind? Does anyone know from what distance the camera records your speed? Am dreading the next few weeks waiting for the post...

AFAIK, they always take pictures. Even if you're not speeding.

rovoagho Banned

They also don't flash any more, at least in the visible spectrum. You should see a doctor about that.

This one definitely flashed - there was a small area above the non camera side that definitely had a white light that went on and off

Mr.Fred Registered User

Maybe he opened the door. :-)

1 person has thanked this post

Thanks!

So is there any leeway with the speed vans - I know someone once told me it was the speed limit +10% but I'm not sure they weren't taking the mick or if not, if this is still the case with the vans?

nashmach Registered User

You are not alone, also passed one last night and it flashed too.

Don't know why it flashed me as I was doing 90 in a 100 zone but there were other cars from the boat travelling in the same direction going much harder.

Like the OP dreading the post.

nashmach Registered User

You are not alone, also passed one last night and it flashed too.

Don't know why it flashed me as I was doing 90 in a 100 zone but there were other cars from the boat travelling in the same direction going much harder.

Like the OP dreading the post.

Mr.Fred Registered User

I think they can setup on one side of the road but they're actually catching the cars driving on the opposite side away from the van if you get me.

AFAIK the way they do it is e.g,speed limit of 50km's so 10% of 50 =5 + 3km's means at 58km's you are over,my source says its how the gatso's work it out but i am OPEN TO CORRECTION

V.W.L 11 said:
AFAIK the way they do it is e.g,speed limit of 50km's so 10% of 50 =5 + 3km's means at 58km's you are over,my source says its how the gatso's work it out but i am OPEN TO CORRECTION

I am so hoping you are right.
Thanks!

a buddy of mine (mad bastard ) got pulled for speeding a while back ,fined, points, etc....swore revenge on the nice gentleman in the gatso van , he got the reg of the van, got plates made up ,every time the van is in the area, he goes past it like a demon on crack ,yer man in the van nearly burns out the camera taking shots, best revenge ever a gatso van that fines itself

8 people have thanked this post

V.W.L 11 said:

My ma got caught doing 89 kph in an 80 kph zone, so I think you're not correct.

Newstarter1 said:
I am so hoping you are right.
Thanks!

i've heard that calculation being given by more than one person and they are both reasonably senior in age,best of luxk though if you hear nothing in the next 2/3 weeks it will be positive i imagine,check out garda checkpoints cork in facebook and twitter the man who runs both pages knows his stuff

1 person has thanked this post

Sobanek said:
My ma got caught doing 89 kph in an 80 kph zone, so I think you're not correct.

read the part of my sentence which is in CAPITAL LETTERS

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!