dolanbaker Moderator

mickmackey1 said:
If we look at the yearly high temp and windspeed from this Limerick PWS on WU:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ILIMERIC7#history/s20171005/e20181006/myear

we see figures of 35c and 234 km/h... Not sure what is the point of uploading wrong information and also would question WU's quality control.

looking at the data, it appears to be just a few bad data points the station owner can easily edit out the duff data. WU don't validate the data at all.

mickmackey1 Registered User

dolanbaker said:
looking at the data, it appears to be just a few bad data points the station owner can easily edit out the duff data. WU don't validate the data at all.

mmm I suspected that WU don't verify anything alright, although I think it wouldn't be too difficult to include a few algorithms that could call out suspicious data. Looks like the owner isn't going to sort it out at this stage anyway.

joujoujou Registered User

PWS software usually's equipped with sort of "remove peaks" features, just need to be set appropriately. Sadly I wasn't aware of that years ago when started running my own station. Now, I am too lazy to go through all the data and do the proper cleanup.

1 person has thanked this post
KAGY Registered User

joujoujou said:
Now, I am too lazy to go through all the data and do the proper cleanup.

Same, I have limits set, albeit a little high, but occasionally a blip gets recorded as a max. As I have to manually delete rows with SQL it gets out on the long finger :-)

RobertKK Registered User

I have given in and ordered a new temperature/humidity sensor for my Davis Vantage Pro 2. The humidity sensor was working very patchy, sometimes working, other times not, and for the last few days it has been the not variety.
Heading towards winter and I want my dew points

Rhineshark Registered User

KAGY said:
Same, I have limits set, albeit a little high, but occasionally a blip gets recorded as a max. As I have to manually delete rows with SQL it gets out on the long finger :-)

Can you import such data into anything basic like Excel? I've found excel very useful for dealing with climate and lab data, especially sorting out anomalies, but don't recall doing it from a back garden weather station.

KAGY Registered User

I could, but then I'd have to reimport it back to the db for the website, graphs and sharing with wunderground and wow.met

It's not difficult, it's just that I suffer from chronic apathy :-)

KAGY Registered User

Finally got around to it, at least for the wind values. I'm going to miss that 168kph spike in the graph.
New graph:

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!