They’d probably have to send it away
I think the weather shop I deal with in England do their own credited repairs but I haven’t any experience of that yet

What you could also do is try you tube for DIY repair videos

There’s a rake of them

https://youtu.be/2oT8fpdPshI

1 person has thanked this post
JCX BXC Registered User

I've no intention on paying for a repair, the weather station is not old and shouldn't really be failing this soon!

byhookorbycrook Moderator

George Sunsnow said:
What’s your budget?

I really have no idea , I’m looking for something sturdy and low maintenance , but have no clue what a reasonable budget for that is . As a primary school , the budget won’t be huge !

JCX BXC said:
I've no intention on paying for a repair, the weather station is not old and shouldn't really be failing this soon!

The Davis’s tend to last over a decade but if a part goes,it’s unlikely you’ll get joy after 18 months or so
That said,how old is it,it’s outdoor equipment so should be ‘fit for purpose’
Agree’ing how many years that is could be a problem
I had to replace the transmitter board on my vantage pro 2 but it was well over a decade

byhookorbycrook said:
I really have no idea , I’m looking for something sturdy and low maintenance , but have no clue what a reasonable budget for that is . As a primary school , the budget won’t be huge !

About €400 would get you a good station
Davis is the best brand
I’ve a new Oregon scientific wmr300 which you can get for about that money
It so far seems every bit as good as the vantage pro 2 it’s competing with for half the price
The more basic vantage vue from Davis is about that price also but doesn’t have the capacity to add extra sensors and has a built in anemometer so you cannot put one on a pole

There are ways around that but it involves more money

JCX BXC Registered User

George Sunsnow said:
The Davis’s tend to last over a decade but if a part goes,it’s unlikely you’ll get joy after 18 months or so
That said,how old is it,it’s outdoor equipment so should be ‘fit for purpose’
Agree’ing how many years that is could be a problem
I had to replace the transmitter board on my vantage pro 2 but it was well over a decade

If it was over 2 years I probably wouldn't have a problem, however it failed after 13 months. Not exactly fit for purpose!

Would probably be a good idea to get onto the retailer, however time is a limiting factor! Will get around to it soon though. Working for the moment at least!

Oh 13 months is definitely a sale of goods act EC consumer protection windowable complaint in my opinion

Don’t leave it,you may action it now because obviously proving it wasn’t working for a few months prior to arguing the toss with the sellers will be a problem
You will have to go to where you bought it first

JCX BXC Registered User

I know the consumer law like the back of my hand Normally I would go straight to the retailer however Davis did appear to have a good support front so I said I'd try them first. Won't get around to it this week but next week I should definitely do so.

Thanks for the advice

KAGY Registered User

byhookorbycrook said:

Cheaper type in Maplin: €110 https://www.maplin.ie/p/wireless-weather-station-n25fr
Not as good but will do for educational purposes.

JCX BXC Registered User

Died at 5am this morning, will buy a battery today to tie me over if I get to the shop.

Fun

JCX BXC Registered User

JCX BXC said:
Died at 5am this morning, will buy a battery today to tie me over if I get to the shop.

Fun

6 days on and the batteries still going, (was only 3 days last time), lets hope the issue resolved itself!

On a different note, my davis has been slowly dripping all the snow and slush into the rain gauge, so it generally says it's raining for an hour after the last precip!

joujoujou Registered User

Despite my very efforts, including (but not limited to) countless climbs up the roof yesterday, both wind speed and wind direction sensors refused to operate. Set of spare ones won't work either. However, tipping rain gauge plugged into a "wind" socket shows some wind on a display, so more than likely transmitter's okay.

Anyway, I am tired of endless problems with FineOffset (and their clones) stations, so will leave it as it is, until it dies.

The conclusion - if you want a trouble, buy yourself FineOffset or it's rebranded clone station! Lots of swearing guaranteed!

KAGY Registered User

I had a similar problem with the wind anemometer, turned out it was the copper contacts ininthe socket of the wind vane corroding.
Bought a new one for 17e on Ali and all's good so far

1 PCS OF Spare part for weather station to test the wind direction, WH-SP-WD
http://s.aliexpress.com/B7jqeABJ

joujoujou Registered User

I've 2 sets of wind gauges (2 anemometers + 2 wind direction gauges), plugs and sockets cleaned regularly. None of them work anymore. I think is time to bin the whole thing.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!