saidinmilamber Registered User

So this is currently a thing in Galway...

http://www.theemptyshirt.com/2013/11/30/nuigs-legion-of-mary-society-sticks-it-to-gay-people/

I've been told to file a formal complaint to Patrick O'Flaherty and Pat Morgan. That's the best way to kill funding to that awful society. I would strongly encourage people to do the same. Here's some email addresses if ya'll want to help!

su.socs@nuigalway.ie
pat.morgan@nuigalway.ie
socsofficer@socs.nuigalway.ie

12 people have thanked this post
FouxDaFaFa Registered User

Hey OP, I'm the one who wrote that article you linked to. First heard about it on Reddit and was pretty disgusted by it. I'm from Galway and an NUIG Alumni so it's extra personal.

Happy to help out with emailing.

Generally, I think shutting down groups with silly views is a slippery slope but the minute they start hurting other people with their rhetoric it becomes something else.

If they want to preach chastity and stuff, great. But being a religious group shouldn't give them license to insult a whole student demographic and imply they're inferior.

Edit: found this on my travels. They have a 12-step programme, modelled on Alcoholics Anonymous.

6 people have thanked this post

Hey Guys,

Best of luck with this. and they talk about gay groups trying recruit people.

When I was younger and extremely unhappy about my sexuality I found a book called "you don't have to be gay". I read it and at the start it talked about a young fella who was very unhappy and through sheer perserverance he managed to become straight. I lapped up the book and thought maybe this could happen for me.

Then half way through Boom! F**kin god.

It started out of nowhere, pray to christ, repent REPENT etc.

It really f*cked me up extra on top of all the other **** going on in there.

These scocieties are really damaging to people in that mindset. Luckily nowadays there is a lot more positive information online or in the community so is less likely to happen to young people.

I don't mind people turning to god, being celibate etc but only if it is their choice and not that they've been recruited through appealing to their vulnerable condition.

Ps : I found that book again years later and ripped it up and binned it so nooone else could read it.

4 people have thanked this post

FouxDaFaFa said:
But being a religious group shouldn't give them license to insult a whole student demographic and imply they're inferior.

I saw this and I was disgusted, but not because it's an insult, it's something that is far worse than merely implying LGBT people are inferior. These so called "reparative" therapies are extremely harmful and widely discredited, they not only do no work, they do serious harm to the people who undergo them.

2 people have thanked this post

FouxDaFaFa said:
Hey OP, I'm the one who wrote that article you linked to.

I was laughing my ass off at the language you used in it, well done!! Please that you hung those spoof posters around campus?? And thanks a million for putting the email details onto your article

1 person has thanked this post

Got this back from Pat Morgan. She responded in 7 minutes.

Dear Sarah,
Thank you for sharing your concerns and taking the time to provide the detailed analysis. I can assure you that we are taking appropriate action.
Sincerely,
Pat Morgan

She may have been making fun of me a little with "detailed analysis". I like to be thorough!

Go sell crazy some place else. We're all stocked up here.

saidinmilamber said:
I was laughing my ass off at the language you used in it, well done!! Please that you hung those spoof posters around campus?? And thanks a million for putting the email details onto your article

I haven't been able to get over yet but there's no stopping any students sticking a few up. Link here. Although I know printer credit is valuable!

FouxDaFaFa said:
Got this back from Pat Morgan. He responded in 7 minutes.

He may have been making fun of me a little with "detailed analysis". I like to be thorough!

Pat Morgan is a she. Received a similar email from her.

Manco said:
Pat Morgan is a she. Received a similar email from her.

I'm using the excuse that I'm not longer at the college.

Ambersky Registered User

Dont know how relevant this is but if you need examples of how this pray away the gay thing, within catholicism, does not work I am one of those people.

Ive been through the lot, support group, priest led recession therapy, sacrament of the sick etc many years ago. All mixed in with the many and various sexual anxieties of those dumping them on me as support. It was not the group in question but it was catholic and they were praying away the gay, or trying to and thanking and praising god for this blessing. It was this groups predecessor I suppose.
Picture this, a priest anointing my hands with oil as he asks me if I masturbate...it goes on but I wont go on about it here.
I was given oil to anoint my genitals later but I met at least one gay man who had his genitals "anointed" to cure him of homosexuality.

I now consider this type of behavior to be a form of religious or ritual abuse.

Pray away the gay can get really weird, well it is really weird anyway, and it is a way of taking advantage of peoples emotional psychological and spiritual (if you believe that exists) vulnerability.

On the positive side of things I have had an unexpected interaction with a catholic priest who asked for my forgiveness on his knees for what happened to me. I believe he was genuine and he asked for my permission every step of the way and did not take my responses for granted. I was only representing myself and not for anything that happened to anyone else and I reminded him of that. If at some time that is appropriate to talk about in this thread I will write about it but for now Im just including it.

16 people have thanked this post

That all sounds so distressing, I really hope you've been able to move on from it somehow since then. Thanks for sharing your story though, it really helps to get across that these people are doing great harm to people.

Fair play for highlighting the issue and taking direct action. 'Christian' values indeed.

L.Jenkins Let's Do This!!!

Really starting to get sick of religious groups and their pray away the gay philosophy. I felt myself going daft last night looking at how Christians try to discredit Atheists also. I'm finding it harder each day to fathom what this worlds major fúcking malfunction is sometimes.

Look at there website again and see whats its really all about

http://couragerc.net/Make_Contribution.html

$250 a month to some that is a INC corporation aka a company. Also google map the address and it looks like its HQ is in a house and not a church building at all

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!