I thought it was very boring and crap this year pretty annoyed all that standing in middle crowd. music was bad i thought and really did drag on to much was thinking of leaving and i thought they would have turned off all lights on patrick street then light up all it but i saw barely nothing turned on so boring i wont be in mood go next year. was not worth going in at all and waiting that long for what exactly?

1 person has thanked this post
Sonics2k Registered User

The lights are okay, nothing great by any means, but they do give a decent look to the street.

I didn't go the opening, it's always a bit bloody boring tbh.

freshpopcorn Registered User

19 people have thanked this post

more decorations like that would be perfect!

can't help but notice, look at how many motorbikes are parked down the street in the middle,
compared to the tiny parking bays the motorbikes are given now.

2 people have thanked this post
pwurple Registered User

Oh gosh, ye must all have your rose-tinted nostalgia glasses on! Those things were so bad, I didn't like them at all! Always reminded me of huge man-eating furry tarantulas straddling the streets!

2 people have thanked this post
CB19Kevo Registered User

freshpopcorn said:

Almost make's Cork look like London, Patrick street looks great there, Think it may be the normal street lighting that takes away from patrick street at present, Too futuristic and lacks any character in my opinion.

murphym7 Registered User

Those old decorations were great, always loved them. The new ones you would barely know were actually Christmas decorations. Too slick, too cool, too subtle.

leahyl Moderator

pwurple said:
Oh gosh, ye must all have your rose-tinted nostalgia glasses on! Those things were so bad, I didn't like them at all! Always reminded me of huge man-eating furry tarantulas straddling the streets!

Oh pwurple they were brilliant!! Just looking at that picture makes me all warm and fuzzy inside

the beer revolu Registered User

I liked those lights too.
Looking at the buses and cars, the pic doesn't look that old but then there's all the Honda 50s parked that you don't see so many of now.

Anyone have a date for that pic?

Sonics2k Registered User

pwurple said:

Half the lights were gone constantly, and they never changed them.

pwurple Registered User

leahyl said:
Oh pwurple they were brilliant!! Just looking at that picture makes me all warm and fuzzy inside

Fuzzy like you've been biten by a giant spider?

Don't get me wrong, the new ones are not good either... And since when was blue christmassy?

But those furry yokes, all dirty and broken. Jebus they needed replacing.

I like the oliver plunkett ones, and I know a street as wide as Panna is a challenge... but the choices are surely not limited to creepy multicoloured spiders, vs blue industrial muck..

Grafton street gets it right.

Sonics2k Registered User

pwurple said:
Don't get me wrong, the new ones are not good either... And since when was blue christmassy?

But those furry yokes, all dirty and broken. Jebus they needed replacing.

I like the oliver plunkett ones, and I know a street as wide as Panna is a challenge... but the choices are surely not limited to creepy multicoloured spiders, vs blue industrial muck..

Grafton street gets it right.

The stores along Oliver Plunkett Street are asked to pay €350 per shop to contribute to the lights. So a small shop like the Mr Simms is asked to pay the same as Penneys. Madness.

pwurple Registered User

Sonics2k said:
The stores along Oliver Plunkett Street are asked to pay €350 per shop to contribute to the lights. So a small shop like the Mr Simms is asked to pay the same as Penneys. Madness.

Good ould city council strikes agin.

ofcork Registered User

Id say that cork photo is the 90s,the blue transit looks modern.

freshpopcorn Registered User

I loved the old lights because they were the lights when I was a child. The first few years of the blue lights I didn't like them. Then after a while they grew on me a lot, especially since lights in Opera lane.
I know of a lot of people who give out about the newer lights in Cork saying they preferred the old ones, but I know people in Dublin who say the exact same thing about the lights there.
If they didn't change the lights in Cork I think they might looked aged now just due to natural wear and tear and the color of them might look a little dated now.
Even our Christmas decorations at home have changed over the years. We still have some of the old stuff but we had to add new stuff to it as well.
Young kids will grow up with these lights and these will be the lights they remember from their childhood Christmases and when they change them again in 20 years time they will reminisce about the old blue lights and how good they looked.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!