kapisko1PL Registered User

Hello,

I have passed my driving test about 4/5 weeks ago and still didn't get my licence. We, as a group of friends are planning to go to an open day in one of the colleges and the easiest and fastest route is via the motorway. My question is: Can I use it?

Thanks,
Kacper.

mackerski Registered User

kapisko1PL said:
Hello,

I have passed my driving test about 4/5 weeks ago and still didn't get my licence. We, as a group of friends are planning to go to an open day in one of the colleges and the easiest and fastest route is via the motorway. My question is: Can I use it?

Thanks,
Kacper.

Yes

Morf Registered User

mackerski said:
Yes

Provided he/she carries the piece of paper indicating they have passed I'd imagine, yes?

yer man! Registered User

Open to correction here but aren't you only a fully licensed driver when you actually have your licence? you only have a cert to say you're competent, not fully licensed

2 people have thanked this post
The_Pretender Registered User

Once you have the reciept that you were given then you'll have no problems.

L1011 Moderator

yer man! said:
Open to correction here but aren't you only a fully licensed driver when you actually have your licence? you only have a cert to say you're competent, not fully licensed

Yes.

The_Pretender said:
Once you have the reciept that you were given then you'll have no problems.

No (albeit you will probably get away with it)

You have to have your physical pink licence to be allowed drive on a motorway, or unaccompanied, etc. The Certificate of Competency is definitely not valid and it is entirely at a Garda's own discretion as to whether to accept a licence payment receipt and a promise to present.

1 person has thanked this post
The_Pretender Registered User

MYOB said:
Yes.

No (albeit you will probably get away with it)

You have to have your physical pink licence to be allowed drive on a motorway, or unaccompanied, etc. The Certificate of Competency is definitely not valid and it is entirely at a Garda's own discretion as to whether to accept a licence payment receipt and a promise to present.

Open to correction on this, but isn't the Certificate of Competency the thing you get when you pass your test? I'm talking about the reciept you get in the tax office. When I got my learner permit I was told in the tax office that I was able to drive and just to bring the reciept with me. Could be wrong though, that's just what I thought.

EDIT: Don't know what the story is if the forms were posted in though?

L1011 Moderator

The_Pretender said:
Open to correction on this, but isn't the Certificate of Competency the thing you get when you pass your test? I'm talking about the reciept you get in the tax office. When I got my learner permit I was told in the tax office that I was able to drive and just to bring the reciept with me. Could be wrong though, that's just what I thought.

EDIT: Don't know what the story is if the forms were posted in though?

It is, but neither it nor the payment receipt are actually a driving licence. You're entirely relying on a Garda being in a good mood.

flyingsnail Registered User

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Safe-Driving1/Safety-for-Permit-Holders/

Motorways:

No driving on motorways even if you possess a certificate of competence.

3 people have thanked this post
SimonLynch Registered User

You're fine to drive I reckon, personally I'd take an experienced driver with me first time to advise on merging, lane discipline and so on, after that it's welcome to the jungle here.

kapisko1PL Registered User

Thanks for the great response lads.

Victor Registered User

kapisko1PL said:
I have passed my driving test about 4/5 weeks ago and still didn't get my licence.
Aren't you meant to exchange them within a month or something?

Morf Registered User

I imagine that is to "encourage" people to get their fully accredited license ASAP rather than a point of safety/ability.

Days 298 Closed Account

Victor said:
Aren't you meant to exchange them within a month or something?

IIRC the cert is valid for 2 years after which you have to retake the test.

I think the OP has applied its just the processing times are ridiculous in some places.

mackerski Registered User

That's completely mad, and is not at all how things were when I passed (years ago). So what act changed in the meantime?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!