OldRio Registered User
#8,206

Tom Waits on Sunday. Thank God for that.

The music shows have either been brutal, or repeats for a good while now.

4 people have thanked this post
Welsh Megaman Registered User
#8,207

The Classic Rock Awards on Sky Arts right now.

Johnny Depp jamming with Joe Perry!

1 person has thanked this post
droidman123 Registered User
#8,208

R.I.P Peter skellern

3 people have thanked this post
Hotblack Desiato Registered User
#8,209

droidman123 said:
R.I.P Peter skellern

Didn't know he was in Oasis

Tom Mann Centuria Registered User
#8,210

OldRio said:
Tom Waits on Sunday. Thank God for that.

The music shows have either been brutal, or repeats for a good while now.

Haven't really been a fan of his music but a fascinating character and I really enjoyed the documentary, don't think it dug too deeply into his off stage persona though, and his interview snippets didn't add a great deal apart to hear his voice some more. Gaybo even got a few seconds. "now that didn't really happen did it?" no sh*t Gaybo.

5 people have thanked this post
OldRio Registered User
#8,211

Tom Mann Centuria said:
Haven't really been a fan of his music but a fascinating character and I really enjoyed the documentary, don't think it dug too deeply into his off stage persona though, and his interview snippets didn't add a great deal apart to hear his voice some more. Gaybo even got a few seconds. "now that didn't really happen did it?" no sh*t Gaybo.

I agree. He seems a very shy man hidden by his 'act'
I've been a fan from the 70's. Incredible talent.

3 people have thanked this post
Go Harvey Go Registered User
#8,212

Skid X said:
"What are you planning for the Zoo Dancers to accompany JoBoxers, Flick?"

"Well its the Boxer Beat, so I thought a few dancers with boxing gloves half heartedly punching would be grand"

"Flick, I think the time for Dancers on TOTP is coming to an end"

Welsh Megaman said:
"What are you planning for the Zoo Dancers to accompany Orange Juice, Flick?"

"Well its Rip It Up, so I thought a few dancers with half heartedly ripping pieces of paper up"

"Flick, I told you before...I think the time for Dancers on TOTP is coming to an end"

Of course, Zoo's final appearance won't be shown because DLT was hosting that night.

Fortunately, it's on YouTube:

Also, it looks like we'll be continuing into '84, if this tweet from Mike Read is anything to go by:

https://twitter.com/MikeReadUK/status/832246740820566018

2 people have thanked this post
Skid X Registered User
#8,213

Hi, It's Queen night on Friday. One of the many Queen Docs which are regularly repeated followed by the Queen 1975 Christmas Eve Concert. That one was genuinely broadcast live on Christmas Eve at 10pm on BBC2 http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/3491b32477d4408aa020222411ba19e5 . You wouldn't see that anymore. Elsewhere if you missed the Bowie Last Five Years Doc last month it gets a repeat on BBC Two tonight ...

Thursday
7.30pm & 11.50pm Top Of The Pops 1983 - March 31st
Steve Wright and Richard Skinner present music from March 31, featuring New Order, the Style Council, Mari Wilson, U2, Kajagoogoo, Tracey Ullman and Duran Duran. Full details here http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=479822&id=5857687&lid=7

11.25pm Other Voices (RTE2)
Gregory Porter, Sample Answer, Pixie Geldof, Le Galaxie and Cry Monster Cry perform on the music show, presented by Annie Mac, Huw Stephens and May Kay

12.15am David Bowie: The Last Five Years (BBC Two) Oddly scheduled late night repeat of the week!
A portrait of David Bowie, told by the people who knew him best - his friends and artistic collaborators. It also takes a detailed look at his last albums The Next Day and Blackstar, and his play Lazarus. Through the prism of this last work, the film shows how, in his final five years, Bowie not only began producing music again but returned to the core and defining themes of his career. Among the contributors are Tony Visconti, Gail Ann Dorsey, Toni Basil and Michael C Hall

12.15am Sound of the 70s
Troubadours - Peaceful Easy Feeling Archive performances by a selection of artists who emerged from California in the early part of the decade, a time when the UK was familiarising itself with the introduction of decimalisation and enduring a series of industrial disputes. Featuring Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, Crosby & Nash, America, Carole King, the Eagles and Seals & Crofts

12.50am Sound of Song
Part 1/3 The Recording Revolution Composer and musician Neil Brand investigates how songs were recorded for the first time, the listening revolution that followed and the crooner style of singing brought about by the arrival of the microphone. He also looks at the songwriting prowess of Irving Berlin, as well as the interpretative powers of singers Bessie Smith, Louis Armstrong and Bing Crosby

Friday
7.30pm & 1.25am Top Of The Pops 1983 - April 7th
Simon Bates and Peter Powell present the pop chart programme from April 7, 1983, featuring Dexys Midnight Runners, Culture Club, Joboxers, Twisted Sister, Michael Jackson, Tracie, FR David, Nick Heyward, Big Country and David Bowie. Full details here http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=479822&id=5857688&lid=7

8.40pm Sounds Of The 70s & Pop Go The Sixties
20 minutes of filler music videos to fill a hole in the schedule from Roxy Music, Elton John, Queen and Procul Harum

9pm Brit Awards 2017 (TV3)
Dermot O'Leary and Emma Willis co-host the 37th edition of the British Phonographic Industry's annual pop music awards, staged at London's O2 and featuring performances by Robbie Williams, Emeli Sande, Little Mix, Skepta, the 1975, Ed Sheeran and Bruno Mars. David Bowie receives two posthumous nominations, for British Male Solo Artist and Album of the Year, with Leonard Cohen receiving his first-ever nomination in the International Male Solo Artist category, also posthumously

9pm & 2am Queen - From Rags To Rhapsody
Documentary recalling the rock band's early years, spent struggling gigging at pubs and colleges, and following their progress up to the moment they captured the UK's hearts and minds with what was to become one of the greatest songs of all time - Bohemian Rhapsody. The documentary features contributions by band members and outtakes from recording sessions

9.55pm Queen - The Legendary 1975 Christmas Eve Concert
The rock band in performance at London's Hammersmith Odeon on Christmas Eve in 1975, featuring early singles including Liar, Keep Yourself Alive, Now I'm Here and Bohemian Rhapsody, as well as Brian May showcasing his guitar skills in Brighton Rock

11pm & 3am Guitar Heroes at the BBC
Archive performances of the most iconic artists and bands from the 1960s and 1970s, featuring Pictures of Matchstick Men by Status Quo, the Who's single Long Live Rock, Tunnel of Love by Dire Straits and Lynyrd Skynyrd's classic Sweet Home Alabama. Plus, rare clips of George Benson, Leo Kottke, Link Wray and Tom Petty

Midnight When Albums Ruled The World
Documentary exploring the heyday of LPs from the mid-1960s to the late 1970s, as bands and singers embraced the creative opportunities they offered for music and artwork. The programme also examines how the arrival of new formats heralded the end of the album's golden era. With contributions from Queen's Roger Taylor, Noel Gallagher, Mike Oldfield, the Doors' Ray Manzarek, Slash and Grace Slick of Jefferson Airplane

Saturday
11pm Top Of The Pops 1983 - March 31st
Same as Thursday

11.30pm Top Of The Pops 1983 - April 7th
Same as Friday

11.50pm Brit Awards 2017 (3e)
Same as Friday

12.05am Arena: Loretta Lynn
The veteran country music singer-songwriter looks back at her life from being born a coal miner's daughter in Kentucky, to selling over 45 million albums worldwide and to receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Barack Obama in 2013. Contributors include Willie Nelson, Sheryl Crow, Garth Brooks, Jack White and Sissy Spacek

1.35am Country Kings at the BBC
A chronological compilation of performances from the BBC archive by male country singers, ranging from the Everly Brothers and Jerry Lee Lewis to Garth Brooks and Willie Nelson. Featuring classic songs from studio shows by Glen Campbell, Charley Pride, George Hamilton IV, Kenny Rogers, Clint Black, Johnny Cash and Eric Church

2.35am Country Queens at the BBC
A compilation of archive performances by female country-music stars from a variety of BBC studio shows. Featured acts include Bobbie Gentry, Anne Murray, Emmylou Harris, Taylor Swift, Crystal Gayle, Tammy Wynette, Billie Jo Spears, and Lucinda Williams with Mary Chapin Carpenter

Not a lot on Sunday, here's some of Sky Arts' offerings ...

Friday
10pm Dire Straits Alchemy 1983 (Concert)

12.30am Lost Songs: The Basement Tapes continued
Documentary observing songwriters as they make new music based on long-lost, but now rediscovered lyrics from Bob Dylan's Basement Tapes sessions. T Bone Burnett brings Elvis Costello, Rhiannon Gddens, Taylor Goldsmith, Jim James and Marcus Mumford together in a two-week studio session in the basement of Capitol Records. Featuring a contribution by Bob Dylan

2.30am Genesis Live in Rome (1997 Concert)

Saturday
10pm Oasis Live at Barrowlands (2001 Concert)

11.15pm Aerosmith Rocks Donington (2014 Concert)

Sunday
10.20pm Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison (Doc)

Sky Arts will have a Sky Arts Rocks feature on Saturday Nights beginning in April, some details here https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/news-page/2017/sky-arts-rocks. Some of them look good.

Classic TV Theme Tune of the week might be Cheers (GOLD, Saturday and Sunday from 7am). In the first episode of the weekend, Bar Wars The gang declares war on the staff of rival bar Gary's Old Town Tavern, who have taken the liberty of stealing a prized trophy from Cheers. Sam won't like that.

6 people have thanked this post
BandMember Registered User
#8,214

Great work as always Skid X, thank you very much!

Slim pickings lately on BBC Four lately in terms of new content. It seems to be mainly (all?) repeats of the same stuff, which is a shame as they have made some great programmes over the years. There definitley seems to be a lack of new content being made/produced though.

Thanks also for including Sky Arts in your weekly round up, excellent move! I'm definitley looking forward to their new series - the more new content, the better and they seem to have the making of an interesting series on their hands. Even if you're not a fan of the music, you'd watch the documentaries anyway. Well, I will anyway....

silverharp Registered User
#8,215

footloose was on tv last night, wouldn't have been a movie I was interested in but the Music was good

Skid X Registered User
#8,216

BandMember said:
Great work as always Skid X, thank you very much!

Slim pickings lately on BBC Four lately in terms of new content. It seems to be mainly (all?) repeats of the same stuff, which is a shame as they have made some great programmes over the years. There definitley seems to be a lack of new content being made/produced though.

Thanks also for including Sky Arts in your weekly round up, excellent move! I'm definitley looking forward to their new series - the more new content, the better and they seem to have the making of an interesting series on their hands. Even if you're not a fan of the music, you'd watch the documentaries anyway. Well, I will anyway....

Cheers Bandmember, yeah there is no Sky Arts thread at the moment so I think it's appropriate to give their shows coverage here. Not everyone has Sky Arts so the BBC and other Free Channels are still the focus.

I know the scope of the thread has evolved a bit since the title was made. Maybe we'll get it updated at some point but until then I'd like to think anyone reading would get a feel for the general content and tone.

#8,217

Always good when a band performs live on TOTP.

Er, maybe not.

PlentyOhToole Registered User
#8,218

Many thanks as usual SkidX

Bowie Last 5 years is great for those who missed it. I was somewhat teary eyed towards the last 5 minutes.

Looking forward to Dire Straits Alchemy Live also. I think it's one of the best live albums out there.

#8,219

Has Steve Wright always looked like a spiv?

1 person has thanked this post
Skid X Registered User
#8,220

That performance from Mari Wilson isn't really just what I've all wanted.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!