shanew Registered User

I think I may have had a quick look when it was mentioned earlier and didn't spot anything - the street is familiar. My paternal Grandmother was born at number 19, although a few years later (1907).

Part of my maternal line lived on Newbridge Ave. which is just South.

Will check it out the listing this evening and let you know...

Hermy Registered User

That's very interesting. Thanks again Shane.

googled eyes Registered User

Hi shane. Is there any mention of James's Walk in the directories. From 1912 - 1916 I can't find mention of the road on the census and just one or two mentions on the Irishgenealogy church records.

My paternal great grandfathers address was James's Walk on one of his son's marriage records.

shanew Registered User

googled eyes said:
Hi shane. Is there any mention of James's Walk in the directories. From 1912 - 1916 I can't find mention of the road on the census and just one or two mentions on the Irishgenealogy church records.

My paternal great grandfathers address was James's Walk on one of his son's marriage records.

had a quick look at the records on IrishGenealogy - all a little earlier than the 1900s, St. James Walk, St. James Walk G. Canal, and St. James Rope Walk - all St. James RC parish.

I suspect that it was either adjacent Grand Canal Harbour or Basin, or along the extension of the canal leading to these. Will look into this further..

p.s. what occupations do the two give on the marriage cert ?

Ah they were all laberours so I dont expect they'll be in the directory.

I was just wondering if the road was in the directory as it is not in the census.

shanew Registered User

Hermy said:
Shane, would you mind checking another Thom's entry for me whenever you get a chance?
Military records I recently acquired for Francis Monks lists his next of kin in 1869 as his mother, then with address an address at 9 Londonbridge Road, Ringsend in 1869.
I'm curious to know what entries if any Thom's might have for this address in 1869 and the years either side of this.

Thanks

looks like parts of the street were still being built at that stage - the 1869 listing only shows number 1 to 8, then 'building ground' and a J.J. Bleakley esq. without a street number.

The names are revised by 1872, but the same basic structure to the street.

No Monks mentioned. I'll post the names, or a scan, latter in case any sound like they might be related.

shanew Registered User

googled eyes said:

from an initial look at maps, there are three Rope Walks in that area that I think might be possible matches in the James' Basin, Grand Canal Harbour area.

see : http://www.swilson.info/maps/dublinenvirons_c1880_N.php

One is located between the Basin and Harbour and just south, the other is nearby just after the canal extension starts to head west, and the third further west beside Harcourt bridge, before the junction with the main canal.

will have a further look in directories..

1 person has thanked this post
shanew Registered User

see below for scan of the 1869 and 1872 listings for Londonbridge Rd.

The first listing I found that specifically mentions a number 9 Londonbridge Rd. is the one for 1877, where it's listed as Mr. John James Dillon.

Attachments
ldn_br_rd2.jpg

Thanks shane. Those old maps are fantastic.

I suspected that maybe the James's Walk could have been the "old" name for a road that locals still used at the time.

The search continues.

Hermy Registered User

Thanks for taking the time to look into this Shane.
For what it's worth, here's the two images which reference Londonbridge Road.

Pic 1

Pic 2

shanew Registered User

googled eyes said:
Thanks shane. Those old maps are fantastic.

I suspected that maybe the James's Walk could have been the "old" name for a road that locals still used at the time.

The search continues.

I had a look through a selection of street indexes from the 1860s through to about 1920, nothing specific listed for a 'James's Walk' St. James Walk or St. James's Rope Walk that I could see. The indexes show more streets than the actual street by street listings, and include minor streets and many addresses that were part of a street e.g. terraces etc, so an address is more likely to appear there.

Will keep an eye out for anything...

If the St. James parish area fits, than I suspect it may be one of those three streets I mentioned or at least something close to those, maybe was later listed as part of one of these streets or adjacent ones e.g. the the Canal Bank Towing path or the one that was part of Basin Lane

I've a 1904 City street Index here

shanew Registered User

Hermy said:
Thanks for taking the time to look into this Shane.
For what it's worth, here's the two images which reference Londonbridge Road.

Pic 1

Pic 2

if I'm reading those correctly his mother at the Londonbridge Rd. address was still valid up to when he married in 1874, and his wife seems to be his new n.o.k. ... so listings might just miss her between 1872 and 1877, unless she was not head of household at the address...

I dont have anything that covers years between the key dates I've mentioned. It's quite a narrow timespan so might be worth checking newspapers for anything - although watch for spelling of the street with a space and without, sometimes with a dash, sometimes under Sandymount, even though it's really in Irishtown townland..

Might be worth looking at the Cancelled Valuation books - although it's probably a long shot, as she would need to have been head of household, or owner to appear in these.

I suppose it's possible that people treated one of those houses without numbers shown in '69 and '72 as 9 and 10.

I'll check a few slightly later dates just in case any Monks show up..

Thanks for everything shane

2 people have thanked this post
pjproby Registered User

Shanew, would you know if, for example, a shopkeepers name is given, in Thom's, in say 1900, does that indicate that the shopkeeper is
the owner or simply renting the property.
And if renting is there a way of finding out who actually owned the property.

shanew Registered User

pjproby said:
Shanew, would you know if, for example, a shopkeepers name is given, in Thom's, in say 1900, does that indicate that the shopkeeper is
the owner or simply renting the property.
And if renting is there a way of finding out who actually owned the property.

no way to tell that from the details in Thom's - which would usually show the principle occupant or person that ran the business - sometimes more than one business is listed e.g. office type buildings, solicitors etc. You would need to check the Revision books (aka Cancelled Land Books) at the valuation office to see if an immediate lessor is listed, or an occupant held the property freehold. Like Griffith's the lessor can be a middle man rather than the ultimate owner.

p.s. sometimes the Building returns on the census list the owner of the land... although it's often not completed

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!