Hermy Registered User

That's no problem Shane - whenever you get a chance.

shanew Registered User

shanew said:
Thom's 1894 lists Convent Road, Dalkey - no. 7 listed as 'Mrs. Monks'

will check some earlier dates later..

no sign of a Mr. Monks, unfortunately. Looks like Mary may have already been a widow when she moved to Convent Rd. I dont see any likely male Monks deaths of the right sort of age and timeframe in Rathdown district.

same listing for Convent rd. in 1891 as for 1894. 1885 has a Patrick Curtis at No. 7

1 person has thanked this post
Hermy Registered User

Not what I was hoping for but thanks very much Shane.

These Monks are proving quite elusive !

pedroeibar1 Registered User

Hermy said:

Perhaps they've no business living on Convent Rd?

There is a widely distributed community newsletter in Dalkey, a letter to the editor might produce a result editor@dalkeycommunitycouncil.com The Dalkey site is at http://www.dalkeyhomepage.ie/

shanew Registered User

Hermy said:
Not what I was hoping for but thanks very much Shane.

Do you know where in Co. Dublin your Monk family came from ?

I have two branches of Monk/Monks in north County Dublin, none that moved to south county Dublin as far as I know.

I did come across a Monks family not that far away in Glasthule at one stage, a bit younger than than your Mary .. think the father was DMP and one of the sons fought in WW1

Might be worth checking Deans grange and Glasnevin burials for your Mary, as she may be buried with family. I suspect the informant for her death will be her grandchild Margaret, but might be worth checking in case a cert mentions anything useful like an informant, or her 'occupation' in terms of her husband e.g. as 'widow of farmer' etc

Hermy Registered User

I have a possible burial at Glasnevin I'm going to pay for which could prove very enlightening.

I know very little about the Monks' even though that's my mothers maiden name.
Her grandfather was born in Fermoy (possibly his mothers home town) and later became butler to Justice Gerald Fitzgerald of Fitzwilliam Square. His two sisters were born in India and there's a record of a death in Karachi which is very likely his father who was a soldier serving in India at the time. Both sisters are on the 1901 Census but I can only find one on the 1911 Census.

Hermy Registered User

Hermy said:
I have a possible burial at Glasnevin I'm going to pay for which could prove very enlightening.

Well the burial record wasn't what I was looking for.
Would it be possible to check if Margaret Monks stayed on at Convent Road after her grandmothers death in 1906.
I know by 1911 she was at Clyde Road working as a domestic servant for Judge David Fitzgerald, presumably a brother of Gerald.

shanew Registered User

Hermy said:
Well the burial record wasn't what I was looking for.
Would it be possible to check if Margaret Monks stayed on at Convent Road after her grandmothers death in 1906.....

closest dates I can do for this are 1906 and 1910 - 1906 listing is still Mrs Monks, and 1910 listed as Wm. Rennicks.

pedroeibar1 Registered User

A Louis Monks was living in Glenageary in the early 1920's when he built the 25 houses in Glasthule known as Devitt Villas.

Hermy Registered User

Thanks for mentioning the above pedroeibar1 but unfortunately I'm struggling with the Monks family and I can neither rule Louis in or out.

Hermy Registered User

Hermy said:
...(possibly his mothers home town)...

Make that a definitely!
Just found a marriage cert on Ancestry for Francis Monks and Margaret McGrath in Fermoy.
However their surnames are listed as Marks and M'Grath (without the C) which was enough to have me stumped. Now I'm hoping the marriage cert will give me a valuable clue about his father as this lad seems to have spent most of his married life in India.

L1011 Moderator

Monks/Marks - transcription issue?

Hermy Registered User

MYOB said:
Monks/Marks - transcription issue?

It seems like that but the cert will confirm.

Hermy Registered User

Shane, would you mind checking another Thom's entry for me whenever you get a chance?
Military records I recently acquired for Francis Monks lists his next of kin in 1869 as his mother, then with address an address at 9 Londonbridge Road, Ringsend in 1869.
I'm curious to know what entries if any Thom's might have for this address in 1869 and the years either side of this.

Thanks

Hermy Registered User

Should have said his mother's name is Mary!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!