McTigs Registered User
#1,711

I love Sean nos said:
Was walking past a local playground when I saw something that summed up the hysteria around helmets and especially children for me. Mother and young son approach slowly. Child is on a small bicycle with stabilisers. Bike also has one of those handle sticking up from somewhere behind the seat post, so the mother can push him along or restrain his progress. In other words, he has no chance of falling off unless he jumps, is pushed, or runs over a landmine.

Of course, he's got a helmet on.

Both stop at the gate to the playground. He abandons the bike, takes off the helmet and gives it to the mother. He then hops on a swing and proceeds to swing as high as he could manage. Mother parks bike and joins him, pushing him higher and higher.

The path loops round so I was able to continue watching for a few minutes. Young lad also climbs some bars and has a go on the slide.

No helmet required for any of those activities of course.
This gets me everytime!

My parents were giving out to me for not making my kids wear helmets and I made the playground comparrisson and they "but but but.... *nothing*"

Everyone is convinced cycling is deadly (not good deadly, bad deadly)

CramCycle A wholly unreasonable man
#1,712

Chuchote said:
Would it be technically possible to have a stickies folder where non-major stickies were corralled?

A discussion for the annual review possibly, but not for here

Tenzor07 Registered User
#1,713
5 people have thanked this post
Chuchote Registered User
#1,714

So maybe time to start campaigning, mass-cycling and letter-writing?

magicbastarder Registered User
#1,715

irish cyclists don't really have such a hot topic issue to rally around though. it's all fighting little fires rather than one big ones.

Chuchote Registered User
#1,716

magicbastarder said:
irish cyclists don't really have such a hot topic issue to rally around though. it's all fighting little fires rather than one big ones.

Well… surely yes, if the Gardaí are pushing for mandatory helmets and hi-viz, and there's also a push to force people to cycle on the dreadful and often dangerous cycle lanes?

2 people have thanked this post
magicbastarder Registered User
#1,717

the AGSI passed a motion, which is not the same as the gardai as an official body pushing for the same (i.e. it's not - as far as i am aware - a policy move o'sullivan or others in the garda hierarchy are peddling). also, as it's not the gardai who would actually introduce this law anyway, and several ministers having gone on record over the years saying explicitly it's not something considered desirable, it's not concrete enough to rally around.
the cycle lanes issue has gained a little bit of steam, and i can imagine that becoming a rallying cry.

ED E Registered User
#1,718

magicbastarder said:

The number of us ending up smeared on the tarmac by HGVs and Campervans of late is certainly a hot topic in my eyes....

1 person has thanked this post
I love Sean nos Registered User
#1,719

magicbastarder said:
the AGSI passed a motion, which is not the same as the gardai as an official body pushing for the same

The AGSI did the equivalent of a 10 year old boy shouting "look at the cow's nest" and the media fell for it, with the public following them.

A real media would have reported on how ridiculous it is to even contemplate the issue of high-vis while the reputation of the force is at such a low point that no one can believe a word from any Guard, from the newest recruit to the Commissioner.

It's beyond rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic; it's wondering whether the deck chairs need a fresh coat of paint and a change of image via a marketing campaign, all the while floating among corpses.

Beasty Administrator
#1,720

Chuchote said:
Would it be technically possible to have a stickies folder where non-major stickies were corralled?

CramCycle said:
A discussion for the annual review possibly, but not for here

It's already there, in the Charter and FAQs sticky....

Roadhawk Registered User
#1,721

I know there are many pros and cons for the use of helmets while cycling but the guys in this video really experienced the pros...

adjust the video speed to 0.25 and watch from about .29 seconds...

AndrewJRenko Registered User
#1,722

I know there are many pros and cons for the use of helmets while cycling driving but the guy in this video really experienced the pros..

dub_skav Registered User
#1,723

Roadhawk said:
I know there are many pros and cons for the use of helmets while cycling but the guys in this video really experienced the pros...

adjust the video speed to 0.25 and watch from about .29 seconds...

I know I'm going to sound flippant, but it looks to me like he did a great job of getting his hands and forearms out to absorb the impact and tucked his chin in to roll, but then a big foam thing on his head smacked into the ground.

I have had a similar over the handlebars crash, but - shock horror - without a helmet and it was my arms and upper back that hit the ground, as, like this guy I tucked my chin and rolled through the impact.

CramCycle A wholly unreasonable man
#1,724

Its not flippant, just an anecdote, just like mine. In no way should anyones policies be influenced by it. I have permanent neck problems due to a helmet hooking a roll bar in a crash. If I hadn't been wearing it, my arms/elbows/tuck, would have brought me through the rear window safely but the helmet hooked the frame and now I get to crack my neck every day and live with constant aching. I certainly wouldn't stand on a pulpit and tell people not to wear helmets because of this but I do understand why making them mandatory without valid reasons is a terrible idea.

decj15 Registered User
#1,725

I would have been one of those people that wears a helmet when on my road bike but short commutes or trip to shops would not justify. I came off bike last week and hit footpath whacked head and lots of road rash got home checked helmet and it was smahed inside. If it was my skull that looked like that helmet i would be in bad shape. Wont be cycling again without a helmet

6 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!