faolteam Registered User
#1

Does your car have to be taxed for an nct??

#2

no (as long as you take it on trailer of course) :-)

Barr Registered User
#3

As corktina said.

The NCT and tax are not related.

myshirt Registered User
#4

No, it doesn't have to be taxed for the NCT.

If the car is not taxed, you can have it on the road to bring it to the NCT. And to bring it to get repaired after that NCT.

If you need to get it repaired before NCT, it has to be on the back of a trailer, and not on the back of a tow rope.

The practicalities are that a guard is now more heavily obligated following the last round of public service negotiations to give it to you in the neck if you are caught.

The process is becoming more independent and double checked, with a view towards stamping out ole Garda Tom waving people on.

It's more robust now.

They want the tax money more than ever.

And I can tell ya, it was one thing meeting a p!ssed off guard last year. Try meeting one now after the kick in the stones they got with wages and work conditions

#5

I don't agree. It's an offence not to display a tax disc.

myshirt Registered User
#6

corktina said:
I don't agree. It's an offence not to display a tax disc.


Read the road traffic act and associated legislation. There's a nice big basttard of a book by Riobard Pierse out in the world if you wish to consult also.

It's solid settled law.

1 person has thanked this post
#7

show me so.
The only thing I know is the regulations on driving to and from an NCT and/or associated repairs, which relate t the NCT disc NOT the tax disc.
It is an offence not to display a tax disc and a separate offense not to have a vehicle taxed.

JohnBoy26 Registered User
#8

corktina said:
show me so.
The only thing I know is the regulations on driving to and from an NCT and/or associated repairs, which relate t the NCT disc NOT the tax disc.
It is an offence not to display a tax disc and a separate offense not to have a vehicle taxed.

but sure if your vehicle is declared off the road it's usually because it isn't taxed. Here is the text from motortax.ie

Q15. What if I’m due to have an NCT while my car is off the road?
A15. A vehicle may be used during the period of a non-use declaration in two cases: ◦to bring it to and from a test centre for the test; or
◦to bring it for repair after a re-test, or back to where you are keeping it while it is off the road after the repairs. This option may only be used where an appointment has already been made for a re-test.
The same rules apply to roadworthiness testing for commercial vehicles.
If you are bringing the vehicle to a test centre or to or from repairs after a test failure, it would be advisable to carry a copy of the appointment for the test or re-test with you.

2 people have thanked this post
myshirt Registered User
#9

I'm on my mobile, but will do later cortina, just for reference, might be useful to other readers

CiniO Registered User
#10

JohnBoy26 said:
but sure if your vehicle is declared off the road it's usually because it isn't taxed. Here is the text from motortax.ie

Q15. What if I’m due to have an NCT while my car is off the road?
A15. A vehicle may be used during the period of a non-use declaration in two cases: ◦to bring it to and from a test centre for the test; or
◦to bring it for repair after a re-test, or back to where you are keeping it while it is off the road after the repairs. This option may only be used where an appointment has already been made for a re-test.
The same rules apply to roadworthiness testing for commercial vehicles.
If you are bringing the vehicle to a test centre or to or from repairs after a test failure, it would be advisable to carry a copy of the appointment for the test or re-test with you.


I've seen that Q&A on motortax website, but couldn't find any relevant law.

Hope someone can point it out.

faolteam Registered User
#11

ouch

JohnBoy26 Registered User
#12

CiniO said:
I've seen that Q&A on motortax website, but couldn't find any relevant law.

Hope someone can point it out.

It seems pretty clear to me. If your car is declared off the road it has to be untaxed. As in my post above motortax.ie outlines that you can take a declared off the road car(which has to be untaxed) for an NCT provided you have an appointment. It's works the same way for a re-test and for the repair of a vehicle.

I don't know what relevant law you are looking for as it's all there in black and white on motortax.ie.

1 person has thanked this post
downonthefarm Registered User
#13

are they more leniant towards not having your nct than the tax.?

Duiske Registered User
#14

JohnBoy26 said:


Q15. What if I’m due to have an NCT while my car is off the road?
A15. A vehicle may be used during the period of a non-use declaration in two cases: ◦to bring it to and from a test centre for the test; or
◦to bring it for repair after a re-test
, or back to where you are keeping it while it is off the road after the repairs. This option may only be used where an appointment has already been made for a re-test.
The same rules apply to roadworthiness testing for commercial vehicles.
If you are bringing the vehicle to a test centre or to or from repairs after a test failure, it would be advisable to carry a copy of the appointment for the test or re-test with you.


The bolded part above must be a mistake. Surely they mean before a re-test ?

JohnBoy26 Registered User
#15

Duiske said:
The bolded part above must be a mistake. Surely they mean before a re-test ?

Yes indeed, that seems to be a misprint however it's not incorrect as long as you have an appointment made to take it for repair.

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!