chrisreichel Registered User

Hi.
I'm currently moving to Ireland with my family. I expect to enrol my 4 1/2 years old boy in a primary school. I have sympathy for the 'educate together' approach.

I'm searching for a home in Lucan, so maybe Griffeen Valley and Lucan East could accept my kid.

I know that there's a pre-enrolment policy, that there's no garantee that you can have a place in any of them. But I would like to know: is this usual to happen?

Another doubt: he currently speaks few words in English, does anybody here can give some advice regarding the best way to integrate him with the Irish culture and the language?

Thanks

There are essentially 5 Educate Togethers in Lucan. So also consider Lucan Educate Together, Esker Educate Together and Adamstown Castle Educate Together. They are all heavily over-subscribed so it is very common for children not to get a place.

There is also a new Community National School, Scoil Oscair, opening in September. This is also multi-demonimational but follows a slightly different approach to faith education than ET so you may not be happy with it.

1 person has thanked this post
yellowlabrador Registered User

I wouldn't worry too much about him adapting to Irish language and culture. Very few children will have any Irish and young children are extremely fast at picking up a new language. You can prepare him by getting some picture books and reading them with him. I would also spend some time speaking English to him.
I spoke several languages before age 6 and I can't recall learning them. It's a great age to become bilingual

chrisreichel Registered User

Thanks @Miss Lockhart and @yellowlabrador. Very helpful answers.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!