Sponge Bob Banned

LaughingJoker91 said:

Don't know if this is relevant, but in Google Streetview there is only one cabinet here, but I drove past it earlier and there was two. Didn't take a good look as was just driving past.

Just take it handy and get used to spotting them, the lock feature stands out clearly and nobody else has a big lump of a lock on their cabinets except eircom on the VDSL cab. The few ADSL cabs they ever deployed are a pale grey colour.

Once you spot one they seem to be everywhere, honest.

1 person has thanked this post
IrishStuff09 Registered User

Haven't added the point yet, but here's a mockup of where it is.

Codpeas Registered User

Two more around D15 area:

53.392377, -6.438980 Jct. Ongar Distributor Rd. and The Mall
53.395734, -6.438575 The Ave, Ongar Village opp. Meridian Clinic entrance

Codpeas Registered User

LaughingJoker91 said:
Don't know if this is relevant, but in Google Streetview there is only one cabient here, but I drove past it earlier and there was two. Didn't take a good look as was just driving past.

I'll be passing that one in the morning so will verify it.

2 people have thanked this post
Codpeas Registered User

Codpeas said:
I'll be passing that one in the morning so will verify it.

Looks like a false alarm. There are now two cabinets at that point but they don't appear to be the ones we're looking for. It appears the old cabinet for these purposes is actually hidden in the bushes at the entrance to the estate rather than down at that end. I didn't notice a new cab there, but will add it to my list of old cabs that I'm keeping an eye on.

TheChizler Registered User

Fibre related (hopefully!) activities going on in Donovan Road in Cork. (Cork Central probably as Quaker Road is done). First Cork Central activity I've seen.

Edit: Same thing happening in Bishopscourt in Bishopstown, Phase IV is well underway in Cork! I'm getting far too excited by the whole thing, my brother thinks I'm mental, getting him to stop the car whenever I see a green box or eircom van.

Attachments
IMG_0630.JPG
Codpeas Registered User

Went "cruisin' for cabs" on the way home this evening. (shakes head in disbelief)
Was targeting 5 old cabs I knew about, but none of them had their new friends (Carpenterstown and Luttrellstown areas).
Instead spotted these two on the way there:

53.378777, -6.372858 Park Lodge, Laurel Lodge, Castleknock, D15
53.38472, -6.370566 Navan Road, on way into Blanchardstown Village, D15

And for completeness:

53.393217,-6.388336 Blanchardstown Exchange

Spotted one in Abbey Park or whatever it's called in Arklow entirely by accident, so now I'm wondering if there's more about. Sadly I have no insurance anymore so I can't borrow the mammy's car and gale around for a bit, and my friends already think I'm enough of a nerd without asking them to drive me around town looking for eircom cabinets :/

Still! if anyone's on the northside of the town or in the Fishery/Churchview area, keep an eye out since I didn't realise they'd done anything around there

anyway, rambling, threw down the one in Abbeyville/Abbey Park and slipped in the telephone exchange since no one else had.

LaughingJoker91 Registered User

I'm logged in to Gmail but can see any edit button.

Anyway, spotted one today.

Lohunda 53.387318, -6.410219

I was on wrong link, just added Lohunda.

LaughingJoker91 Registered User

Codpeas said:
Went "cruisin' for cabs" on the way home this evening. (shakes head in disbelief)
Was targeting 5 old cabs I knew about, but none of them had their new friends (Carpenterstown and Luttrellstown areas).
Instead spotted these two on the way there:

53.378777, -6.372858 Park Lodge, Laurel Lodge, Castleknock, D15
53.38472, -6.370566 Navan Road, on way into Blanchardstown Village, D15

And for completeness:

53.393217,-6.388336 Blanchardstown Exchange

Just added these three.

3 people have thanked this post
Sponge Bob Banned

Smail problem with duplicate markers NOW sorted. Carry on adding data and many thanks to those who have done so. Ballina went from nowhere to pretty near complete in one swoop today, thanks for that.

Only blanks now are Ballyboden, Kilkenny and Beggars Bush. I think Beggars Bush is stuck in planning from what has been posted in this thread.

red_bairn Registered User

Sponge Bob said:
Smail problem with duplicate markers, don't worry as this can be sorted. Google have disabled a feture temporarily and I will fix it tomorrow when they re enable it. Carry on adding data and many thanks to those who have done so.

Only blanks now are Ballyboden, Kilkenny and Beggars Bush.

When I head back to the IPA in May, I could probably spend some time one day walking about up there.

allen175 Registered User

Seen works starting yesterday in Sutton beside existing cabs, will update locations as the works start.

Sponge Bob Banned

I just got asked an interesting question. I will answer it here for clarity.

Boards.ie and Daft.ie share an owner. I was not put up to this exercise by either Boards or by Daft. The Moderators have very kindly tolerated this mapping exercise _so far_ and may choose not to do so in future.

In most of Ireland property values and general rentability of houses will be INEXTRICABLY linked NOW AND IN FUTURE to proximity to FAST and fibre rich broadband services and therefore Cabinet locations are a vital indicator of the future value of property and of ease of rental of same.

Knowledge economies don't work very well when you have to jiggle the 3 Broadband dongle out a window in a plastic bag of a wet and windy night just to get a signal.

Consequently the data collected in this Boards Crowdsource Exercise is permanently available to Daft.ie on an open source and unrestricted basis and with which data they may do as they please.
We wil only promise to present it as clearly as possible and check it as well as possible.

We only recommend that you personally liable to double check that a cabinet is where indicated on the map before relying on this data but I'll let the legal lads in daft write that as a disclaimer if they wish.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!