scottigael Registered User
#3,376

navi said:
Prayer might be your best bet alright! You could try a councillor but I don't know how much influence they would have. The people making the decisions are I guess the people in the videos on this page:



Thanks anyway. If anyone else has any suggestions I'm open to them. Such a shame as its literally right up the road theres a blue house on the map getting it and we're down a little further, a few houses not getting it. Maybe when the lads come in a few months and start doing the work I can beg them/brown envelope job to see if they can extend the cables a few hundred more meters.

1 person has thanked this post
jgbyr Registered User
#3,377

The blue area starts at the top of our road but we're not included, have to wait for NBP. The cable wilI be passing outside our house to get to these houses but when I contacted Openeir to see if there was any possibility of being included, I was told no. Wish there was a way.

1 person has thanked this post
scottigael Registered User
#3,378

jgbyr said:
The blue area starts at the top of our road but we're not included, have to wait for NBP. The cable wilI be passing outside our house to get to these houses but when I contacted Openeir to see if there was any possibility of being included, I was told no. Wish there was a way.


Thanks, I suppose that puts it to bed then. Out of curiosity how did you contact them? I can't find much contact info for them.

jgbyr Registered User
#3,379

scottigael said:
Thanks, I suppose that puts it to bed then. Out of curiosity how did you contact them? I can't find much contact info for them.


Hi, I emailed them at fibrepower@openeir.ie
They only quoted the website & said that my address wasn't included in the 300k so couldn't be done. They didnt even comment on the fact that the cable would be passing outside the home. Computer says no & that's that!

1 person has thanked this post
AidenL Registered User
#3,380

jgbyr said:
Hi, I emailed them at fibrepower@openeir.ie
They only quoted the website & said that my address wasn't included in the 300k so couldn't be done. They didnt even comment on the fact that the cable would be passing outside the home. Computer says no & that's that!


I’m in the exact same boat, house is being passed, yet won’t be connected.

2 people have thanked this post
onrail Registered User
#3,381

AidenL said:
I’m in the exact same boat, house is being passed, yet won’t be connected.


I might be in a similar boat - we're situated down a private lane, about 200m from the line BUT the postcode checker states that fibre is available to our address.

Does anyone know if there would be additional costs or issues to connect?

KeRbDoG Registered User
#3,382

navi said:
Ask and you shall receive!


An update should be nigh! hopefully this will be the last update to show my place as 'coming soon'

1 person has thanked this post
DrPhilG Registered User
#3,383

Apologies if I'm asking daft questions but I'm struggling to find accurate info.

I'm in rural Donegal and have Eir phone and broadband. My usual speeds are about 2mbps down at best and maybe .3mbps up although I downloaded a 40GB game last week and it took about 4 hours which suggests my average is much less.

I've spoken to reps at Bonkers.ie who said I was in a black spot and would be better looking at satellite providers.

Spoke to Eir via online chat who were entirely useless.

Spoke to a guy in an Eir store who wasn't much better even though I gave him my eircode.

Eir's line checker says I can currently get "up to 5mbps" at present but that I am on the "rural fibre rollout programme".

Today I browsed the map here which was more promising, it shows a yellow line (rural fibre route) heading just passed my house. There are 5 houses reached by that yellow line and I'm the 4th! My house also shows as a blue circle which means it is planned for fibre.

The rural exchange timeline shows my nearest town as having a forecast date of "First half 2018".

So I have 2 questions.

1 - How accurate are those predictions for the first half of 2018? Anyone else already been reached and if so were you on time or late?

2 - Is this newly acquired fibre broadband likely to cost an arm and a leg?

navi Registered User
#3,384

DrPhilG said:
Apologies if I'm asking daft questions but I'm struggling to find accurate info.

I'm in rural Donegal and have Eir phone and broadband. My usual speeds are about 2mbps down at best and maybe .3mbps up although I downloaded a 40GB game last week and it took about 4 hours which suggests my average is much less.

I've spoken to reps at Bonkers.ie who said I was in a black spot and would be better looking at satellite providers.

Spoke to Eir via online chat who were entirely useless.

Spoke to a guy in an Eir store who wasn't much better even though I gave him my eircode.

Eir's line checker says I can currently get "up to 5mbps" at present but that I am on the "rural fibre rollout programme".

Today I browsed the map here which was more promising, it shows a yellow line (rural fibre route) heading just passed my house. There are 5 houses reached by that yellow line and I'm the 4th! My house also shows as a blue circle which means it is planned for fibre.

The rural exchange timeline shows my nearest town as having a forecast date of "First half 2018".

So I have 2 questions.

1 - How accurate are those predictions for the first half of 2018? Anyone else already been reached and if so were you on time or late?

2 - Is this newly acquired fibre broadband likely to cost an arm and a leg?


1) Without knowing if work has started in the area it is hard to say if the deadline is accurate. Have you seen any evidence of work being done, poles replaced, access chambers being built or replaced, cable being put on poles etc? It is usually KN Networks doing this work so look out for their vans.

Plenty of people in https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057499489 have been connected, some on time, some with delays.

2) https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/
Some eir bundles there. Discounts on the first 12 months with prices going up after that. Other suppliers are available on http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ (the circular green home icons)

1 person has thanked this post
DrPhilG Registered User
#3,385

Ouch, €76 a month according to that.

navi Registered User
#3,386

DrPhilG said:
Ouch, €76 a month according to that.


Not sure where you are seeing €76 but for example 150Mb with eir is €45 x 6 months then €50 x 6 months so €570 for the year. Then after 12 months you switch to another supplier say Digiweb at €54.95 for 12 months although this doesn't include phone calls.

Obviously higher speeds are more expensive.

1 person has thanked this post
DrPhilG Registered User
#3,387

navi said:
Not sure where you are seeing €76 but for example 150Mb with eir is €45 x 6 months then €50 x 6 months so €570 for the year. Then after 12 months you switch to another supplier say Digiweb at €54.95 for 12 months although this doesn't include phone calls.

Obviously higher speeds are more expensive.


Clicked on the link on my phone and it was only offering 3 choices, although I think they were all 100mbps.

I'd be delighted with a fraction of that after 12 years of dross.

I'm currently paying on average €60 a month for phone and crap broadband.

1 person has thanked this post
garroff Registered User
#3,388

navi said:
Not sure where you are seeing €76 but for example 150Mb with eir is €45 x 6 months then €50 x 6 months so €570 for the year. Then after 12 months you switch to another supplier say Digiweb at €54.95 for 12 months although this doesn't include phone calls.

Obviously higher speeds are more expensive.

Have 300Mb from Eir. Costs both arms and 1 leg. Hope I can move to Sky when my contract is expired, even at 100Mb

navi Registered User
#3,389

DrPhilG said:
Clicked on the link on my phone and it was only offering 3 choices, although I think they were all 100mbps.

I'd be delighted with a fraction of that after 12 years of dross.

I'm currently paying on average €60 a month for phone and crap broadband.


The speed you order should be the speed you get so 150Mb, 300Mb or 1000Mb. None of this up to nonsense.

garroff Registered User
#3,390

navi said:
The speed you order should be the speed you get so 150Mb, 300Mb or 1000Mb. None of this up to nonsense.


Not quite. I'm contracted 300Mb. Max I ever got is 270. Minimum 95. Eir tech. not interested." If you have light you have fibre."

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!