• Yes (0%)
  • No (0%)
  • maybe (0%)

SEXISM MEN HAVE EXPERIENCED

Inspired by the thread I saw in the Ladies' Lounge, about Sexism they apparently experience from day to day life, I thought I might start a thread about sexism that us gentlmen experience apart from the others in the LL.
So Gentlemen of GC, what sexism discrimination do you experience?

Please NO AH-type responses or attacking the OP or thread ...

I was told by a driving instructor (back in the day) that I would have a lesser chance of passing the test because of how I looked and because I was a man (instructor was female). This was 11 years ago.

I was in college queuing up to use a photocopyer / printer and it was faulty, and I had to page the maintenance guy. Even though I was first in the queue, he pushed me aside and told me to " let the "ladies" go ahead of me ", when the machine was back up and running again. This was 10 years ago.

MOD NOTE! ** READ THIS **
I'm going to make this completely crystal clear, for the benefit of all.

This is a thread for men to post their experiences of sexism that they believe they have experienced. Discussion in this thread is welcome, from both men and women - so long as it goes with the ethos of the thread. Addition - this thread will also encompass general sexism against men.

The following is no longer to take place in this thread:

- Discussion of which sex has it worse
- Arguing about what is, or isn't sexism in your view

This is the Gentlemen's Club forum. This forum will always have a male leaning ethos. Men do not have to defend their experiences in this thread to anyone.

We will start banning people who continue to derail this thread.

21 people have thanked this post
P_1 Registered User

Countless examples from working in a shoe shop, to be honest if I were to list the lot of them I'd end up going into a tirade.

P_1 said:
Countless examples from working in a shoe shop, to be honest if I were to list the lot of them I'd end up going into a tirade.

Try the top three .. just to get the juices flowing

7 people have thanked this post
P_1 Registered User

Chemical Burn said:
Try the top three .. just to get the juices flowing

Ok so,

1 - Sweltering day so I decide to wear a vest (wifebeater) to work, apparently that looked 'unprofessional' yet female staff were swanning around wearing half nothing.

2 - Apparently just because I'm male I couldn't cash up quickly

3 - Apparently I didn't have a clue about fashion

3 people have thanked this post

P_1 said:
Ok so,

1 - Sweltering day so I decide to wear a vest (wifebeater) to work, apparently that looked 'unprofessional' yet female staff were swanning around wearing half nothing.

2 - Apparently just because I'm male I couldn't cash up quickly

3 - Apparently I didn't have a clue about fashion

Blood pressure rising

Homer Simpson mp4: Urge to Kill, Rising ...

8 people have thanked this post
iptba Registered User

(These ones are old - others may come to mind later)

In the late 70s/early 80s, there was a family on our road of three boys and one girl. The three boys got hit with a belt by their father regularly as punishment, but not their sister.

Female friend told me in the early 80s in her school, there was corporal punishment for the boys in her class but not the girls.

13 people have thanked this post
donfers Registered User

sexism exists, is it always a bad thing and damaging? no

why? because the sexes are different

first we must define it, does it mean treating the sexes differently? well then is that so bad, the sexes are different

the reality is that some people are more programmed to whinge about it than others because they knew their case will be heard more favourably

there are countless examples of sexism every day, I am constantly carrying stuff for women, moving things, doing physical jobs - none of the women call me a sexist for doing so, I just happen to be physically stronger than them

there are cases of what I would describe as damaging or malicious sexism but unfortunately those cases are often drowned out by the whinging victim class who trivialise the issue by claiming that every setback they suffer must be a result of some (more often than not) patriarchal conspiracy

it gets tiring

we must strive to highlight the real stuff, for example father's rights and the disgraceful way women are treated in some countries far far from here and we must weed out and expose the hypocritical garbage

55 people have thanked this post
iptba Registered User

there are countless examples of sexism every day, I am constantly carrying stuff for women, moving things, doing physical jobs - none of the women call me a sexist for doing so, I just happen to be physically stronger than them

This reminds me: I've heard people say that in some jobs at the same/similar grade or payscale (or with a similar title anyway), men end up having to do specific types of work where female employees are not expected to do them or won't do. In some instances, this might mean men have to work harder or do more dangerous work. Some people may consider the examples of this as trivial, others may not. As I don't know what happens in reality in lots of different types of workplace (what is shown on TV, for example, may or may not be accurate), I'm interested in hearing such examples. Other people are free to think they are not important if they want.

1 person has thanked this post

donfers said:
sexism exists, is it always a bad thing and damaging? no

why? because the sexes are different

first we must define it, does it mean treating the sexes differently? well then is that so bad, the sexes are different

IMO it's more that people are different, with average differences along gender lines, for largely disputed reasons (inherent biology vs. socialization).

If you're treating the sexes differently based on blanket generalizations/assumptions, without any consideration for an individual's traits, then that is sexism. For example:
donfers said:
Carrying things for weaker people is not sexist. Assuming all women are weak, is.

45 people have thanked this post
iptba Registered User

(Probably not the most exciting example)
When I stayed at the summer college in the Ring Gaelthacht in Co. Waterford, us boys only got white bread, but the girls were given the (better quality) brown bread.
(They weren't open about this: we only found out by chance as for some reason once we had to go through the girls eating area and all the brown bread was out. There may have been other differences in the food also - it wouldn't have been hard for them to get better food as a lot of what we got seemed to be slop that had been through the system once or twice i.e. leftovers that were all mixed together).

Reku Registered User

How about having a girl hit me and then taunt me that I can't hit her back because she's a girl?

I can also think of a number of examples of women I worked with doing what would be classed as sexual harassment and getting away with it yet us men had no doubts what would end up happening to us were we to do the same/say the same as they had.

13 people have thanked this post
Playboy Registered User

Constantly get dirty looks from Women on public transport who think its their god given right to a seat in place of a man because they are wearing heels. It doesnt help when some shining knights cave in to ther chivalrous urges as it creates a sense of expectation. I once had a woman pick a dirty newspaper up off the floor and throw it in my face because she "was afraid she would trip on it!" Obviously she was very annoyed that I was happy to let her stand on a busy tube when she clearly wasnt very comfortable. Why are men seemingly expected to put up with discomfort with a smile on our faces so our lovely sisters of the opposite sex relax in comfort? If you aint pregnant, elderly or disabled then the heels are your problem ladies.

129 people have thanked this post
cantdecide Registered User

http://corkindependent.com/20130207/news/girls-weekend-away-S58921.html

Had a right rant about this in AH recently. Reverse the genders and you can be sure it wouldn't have been published...

1 person has thanked this post
seenitall Registered User

cantdecide said:
http://corkindependent.com/20130207/news/girls-weekend-away-S58921.html

Had a right rant about this in AH recently. Reverse the genders and you can be sure it wouldn't have been published...

As I posted in that thread, yes it would have (and it has been), and worse in the example below. If objectification is worse than negative stereotyping (re: the last paragraph).

http://galwayindependent.com/stories/item/4642/2012-45/No-more-Mr-Nice-Guy

(Apologies gentlemen, I know it's off topic, just thought I'd rectify this particular misconception.)

ZX7R Registered User

Started a new job recently as a caretaker,i was asked would i clean the toilets today because the cleaners did not turn up,so i said yes no problem and started to clean them, Female manager came in as i was cleaning them and said it would be imposable for me to clean them correctly as i was not a woman.
I think she managed to be sexist to both sex's at the same time with her statement.

79 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!