mrcheez Registered User
#1

According to http://www.clontarf.ie/news/s2s-cycleway-information-meeting works must begin before the summer as otherwise it'll be shelved for another year.

So by my reckoning we should start to see some builders in the area in the next month or so.

Anyone got an update on whether this is starting this year?

buffalo Registered User
#2

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/work-to-start-on-dublin-bay-cycle-path-1.1390672

Work on the construction of the Sutton to Sandycove cycleway (S2S) around Dublin Bay is to get under way more than a decade since planning for the route began.

This first section will close the 2km gap in the current promenade and cycle path running from Clontarf to Sutton.


This will also mean that cyclists can avoid the piece of road mentioned latterly in this thread.

1 person has thanked this post
detones Registered User
#3

Wonder did DCC or whatever consultant they paid a fortune to considered diverting the cycle path up causeway road through the island and back on at Wooden bridge. The only real pinch point would be the bridge but I'm sure a solution for less than 14 million could have been found. The current proposed idea of reducing the road width for 600k seems a real compromise and i can't see how it won't adversely affect traffic.

1 person has thanked this post
Stollaire Registered User
#4

Is there any clue to what is proposed between the East Wall road & Guild Street/North Quays?

Rogue-Trooper Registered User
#5

buffalo said:


This will also mean that cyclists can avoid the piece of road mentioned latterly in this thread.


I'm sure it will also mean that during construction, that piece of road will be even more lethal than it currently is.

Then again, I suppose you can't have an omelette without breaking eggs.......

buffalo Registered User
#6

detones said:
The current proposed idea of reducing the road width for 600k seems a real compromise and i can't see how it won't adversely affect traffic.


If it's wide enough for two cars/buses, grand. I'd be for removing the on-street parking - never understand how we as a society so easily accept people using public roads for storage of their private cars for hours/days/weeks. Though I suppose they do pay road tax.

edit: also, compromise is a good thing, no?

2 people have thanked this post
mrcheez Registered User
#7

buffalo said:
If it's wide enough for two cars/buses, grand.


Buses don't go up that far do they?

buffalo Registered User
#8

mrcheez said:
Buses don't go up that far do they?


The 130 seems to.

buffalo Registered User
#9

Cross-post alert! http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0513/392082-cllrs-vote-to-treble-dublin-bikes-scheme/

Dublin City Councillors have approved construction of another section of the Dublin Bay cycleway and a trebling of the Dublin Bikes Scheme.

Two kilometres of cycletrack will be added at Clontarf at a cost of around €600,000.

This will provide a continuous 8 km cycleway from Sutton to Fairview.

Suzuki_TL1000R Registered User
#10

buffalo said:
never understand how we as a society so easily accept people using public roads for storage of their private cars for hours/days/weeks. Though I suppose they do pay road tax.


I've highlighted the parts that might help you understand

buffalo Registered User
#11

Suzuki_TL1000R said:
I've highlighted the parts that might help you understand


I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. If I left my private couch on the public road outside my house, it wouldn't be tolerated. Likewise if I occupied a car parking space with my bike...

On-street parking uses up valuable space that could be used by moving traffic, as well as creating hazards for pedestrians trying to cross the road, and cyclists with the danger of being doored. Look at doozerie's latest post for illegal on-street/on-path parking that seems to be tolerated by society and Gardaí as a necessary evil, despite endangering lives.

If we removed the on-street parking along the coast road, there'd be plenty of room for the desired cycleway.

1 person has thanked this post
Raam Registered User
#12

buffalo said:

If we removed the on-street parking along the coast road, there'd be plenty of room for the desired cycleway.


Where should all those people who have no driveways park?

1 person has thanked this post
buffalo Registered User
#13

Raam said:
Where should all those people who have no driveways park?


Car parks. Or let them build a driveway.

Or don't get something that you have nowhere to put.

Raam Registered User
#14

buffalo said:
Car parks. Or let them build a driveway.

Or don't get something that you have nowhere to put.


Which car park? I don't see why they should have to pay for a driveway.
They have somewhere to put it right now.

I commute on this stretch of road every day. I don't see what the fuss is all about to be honest.

buffalo Registered User
#15

Raam said:
Which car park? I don't see why they should have to pay for a driveway.
They have somewhere to put it right now.

I commute on this stretch of road every day. I don't see what the fuss is all about to be honest.


I don't know which car park, it's not my car - whatever suits the owner.

Where's the fuss? detones said he didn't think 3m each way was very wide, and I pointed out that if they removed the parked cars, there'd be more space. Is that not logical?

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!