LadyMayBelle Registered User

Looking for suggestions and recommendations. Ive six weeks off work coming up, paid.

The only catch is, that for the vast majority of those 6 weeks, I have to rest and keep both feet elevated (Im having an op). Basically the sofa will be my best friend, with feet up for 90% of the first two weeks, prob wont be leaving the house for a month and if I do it wont be for long..

I love suggestions of things to do

*crafting and creating blanket and baby clothes for friend's babies (due in summer)
*watching the boxsets and films I have put aside
*reading/music
*writing to people

more???
*I want to make it as productive as possible given the fact it is 6 weeks Ill prob never have again; have no responsibilites, no kids etc so time is mine!

1 person has thanked this post
Zillah Registered User

Computer games! Some RPG that has nice stories and what not. Oh, my...to have six weeks of mandatory sitting down

3 people have thanked this post
rainbow kirby Moderator

Start learning a new language? (spoken, programming or otherwise)

Take some online classes? (Coursera?)

Creative writing?

4 people have thanked this post
P_1 Registered User

rainbow kirby said:
Start learning a new language? (spoken, programming or otherwise)

Take some online classes? (Coursera?)

Creative writing?

Was just going to suggest this. Is there anything that you always wanted to learn how to do, but never had the time to do it? You now have a 6 week window to do it in.

2 people have thanked this post

Yup, I juts want some creative ideas in case I get stuck! To be honest Im not really into games or programming. Will be taking up cross stitching again and hope to make some progress with that..

Queen-Mise Registered User

Become the queen of youtube.

Watch a load of TED videos - you can't watch too many in a row though. Especially when you have the time off - you can sit down and watch some of the 20 minute ones without any guilt.

I learnt how to crochet of youtube...

When you are watching the boxsets - knitting is a great accompaniment for it. Crochet probably not as much - as you would need to watch what you are doing more. I pick up great wool of ebay.

Play Kingdom Rush & Plant Vs. Zombies - finish both of them. I can email the first one to you want - it is not a big file They are great little games. Really enjoyable to play - testing but you don't need to be a gamer to play them (because I am not).
PvsZ - is especially a game anyone can play - my seven year old loves it. It is fun - that one I would recommend to definitely try.

Also play Candy Crush Saga on FB - this is another great little game. You only get five lives each time you log in (20 mins for the recharge of each life) - so you can only play for 15/20 mins, until the five lives are gone. So it is something you could play a few times a day. It is an enjoyable little game.

No more ideas at the moment.

EDIT: Books - pick up a few books that you have wanted to read for ages.

You will want a good few very different things to do. You can't do just mind-numbing or brain exercising stuff for the whole day. You will want a mix of stuff.
Stumbleupon, sporclehttp://www.sporcle.com/, this is another quiz-type thing I like, Imgur. These are all good websites. Stumbleupon is great - especially when you tailor it to yourself.

3 people have thanked this post
Princess Peach Registered User

Listen to audio books while you cross stitch! I download mine, or can get them at the library.

5 people have thanked this post
PandyAndy Registered User

Learn to draw. It's very easy. Pick up a sketch pad and few pencils and draw what's ever in front of you. Stick with it and you'll get very good.

1 person has thanked this post
pwurple Registered User

+1 to Coursera.

Ive never heard of coursera. Yeah I'd like to 'achieve' something in those 6 weeks (not counting watching all of American Horror Story, or the entire Woody Allen collection as an achievement as such!)
Im just a little stumped for ideas; yes there are lots of things Id love to do, but need my feet/legs to do them

Whispered Registered User

Queen-Mise said:

Play Kingdom Rush & Plant Vs. Zombies - finish both of them.

Where do you get those games?

Queen-Mise said:

EDIT: Books - pick up a few books that you have wanted to read for ages.

And pick up at least one book you'd never imagine yourself enjoying, and read it. You could surprise yourself. I found one of my favourite authors by doing this.

MissFlitworth Registered User

Get together old memory cards, cds with photos on them, random folders of photos from laptops & pcs and organise them then upload them to Picasa or somewhere you can share them with the people in them. Pick up a scanner & scan old photos you only have print copies of. I did this with old family photos last year as a distraction from doing any work for my exams and shared with family living abroad, it was great.

If you're going to do some crafts pick a project and blog your way through it

Whispered said:
Where do you get those games?

I have them downloaded on my laptop - but you can also play them online.

Plants Vs Zombies is a Popcap game - here is the link

Kingdom Rush is from Armor Games - here the link. KR is free to play online. There is an easy and a normal mode on this - if you are getting slaughtered, change to easy. It automatically sets to normal.

PvsZ is not free - easily gotten though. I think you can play online on some sites. There is an hours free trial for it - see if you like it.

Candy Crush Saga is free to play on FB - here is the link

PandyAndy said:
Learn to draw. It's very easy. Pick up a sketch pad and few pencils and draw what's ever in front of you. Stick with it and you'll get very good.

They are some great 'kid' books that bring you through the process of drawing. A lot of them are fantasy, animals, or dinosaurs or things like that. And a drawing pad and some pencils. And you are set to go.

If you want to keep your sanity - the key will be variety. And have options stacked up... What you might not consider in week one, might become appealing in week four.

And turn of the telly - it is to leave it on sometimes, but don't leave it on for the sake of being on. Listen to Radio 4

OK - last suggestion, not necessarily for OP.

The joys of stumbleupon - I can across this list: Ten games that make you think about life.
I have it bookmarked but haven't played any of them yet. Intriguing idea - existentialist games

They are some great little online games - really for kids, but with a solid basis in physics. They are fun to play, use the brain & are not mindless. For example, this one - Demolition City.
The other game I play ever so often is Pandemic 2 - you are given the option of a virus, bacteria, or a parasite; then choose side effects; the aim is to wipe out the population on the planet. It is quite enjoyable trying to wipe out humanity from the planet

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!