grahambol Registered User
#1

My fiance and I have been looking at potential wedding venues but two have told us that any band/DJ that we hire must have their own Public liability insurance in order to play there. Is this something that all/most bands/DJ's have?

Thanks
Graham

clint_silver Registered User
#2

grahambol said:
My fiance and I have been looking at potential wedding venues but two have told us that any band/DJ that we hire must have their own Public liability insurance in order to play there. Is this something that all/most bands/DJ's have?

Thanks
Graham


Mind me asking which venues told you that?

My band has it, but not one venue in this country has ever asked for it. Plus Ive never heard of it being asked for.

Every business should have it, but its not a legal requirement as if someone trips over a piece of equipment belonging to the band/dj are they going to sue the hotel or the band?
If they sue the band/dj then its their problem anyway, its nothing to do with the hotel. If they sue the hotel and the hotel prove it wasnt their fault, it was the fault of the band, then again its not the hotels problem is it?

.02e

1 person has thanked this post
#3

The above doesn't really answer your question...

I've worked in Events. Any contractor (i.e Bands/DJ's/Caterers/Florists) coming on to our premises had to have public liability insurance and provide proof of the same. Some venues will even ask for minimum amounts. The venue I worked in asked for £2m.

Our wedding venue did ask for public liability insurance. This was covered by our wedding insurance, and our DJ had his own anyway.

In other words, I would cover that off by taking out wedding insurance. Make sure there is public liability on it.

clint_silver Registered User
#4

ABajaninCork said:
The above doesn't really answer your question...

I've worked in Events. Any contractor (i.e Bands/DJ's/Caterers/Florists) coming on to our premises had to have public liability insurance and provide proof of the same. Some venues will even ask for minimum amounts. The venue I worked in asked for £2m.

Our wedding venue did ask for public liability insurance. This was covered by our wedding insurance, and our DJ had his own anyway.

In other words, I would cover that off by taking out wedding insurance. Make sure there is public liability on it.


well, that doesnt answer the question either.

I think 2mill is the standard, its not that much to get it anyway, think cost us 300 last year.

"Is this something that all/most bands/DJ's have?"

The answer is noone knows. There isn't an industry standard mark that professional bands and DJs sign up to (like electricians have RECI) that some sort of census could be done to tell. *
At a guess theres maybe 400 bands in ireland and 500 DJs. how many have PLI?

* Theres a few private enterprises that have tried to start up as
"Irelands recognised standard" on entertainment but none official.

#5

Actually, one million is standard. But a lot of insurance companies will offer 2.

But I assume that most bands/DJ's would have some kind of PL insurance anyway. All the contractors dealing with our wedding did. It would be very foolish if they didn't IMO.

grahambol Registered User
#6

clint_silver said:
Mind me asking which venues told you that?



One was The Shearaton, Athlone and the other was Carlton Shearwater, Ballinasloe.

I suppose all we can do is ask the bands/DJ's we approach if they carry it? It was strange none of the other hotels we viewed said anything.

clint_silver Registered User
#7

grahambol said:
One was The Shearaton, Athlone and the other was Carlton Shearwater, Ballinasloe.

I suppose all we can do is ask the bands/DJ's we approach if they carry it? It was strange none of the other hotels we viewed said anything.


I would think its strange that the hotel is asking, Ive been in the sheraton athlone many times and never once been asked for PLI by hotel or through B&G.

Must be something new. Strange one.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!