expectationlost Registered User

(never know which thread to use in this forum)

I had thought that storm callum had come and gone a few weeks ago, there were news reports about it https://www.google.ie/search?q=%22Storm+Callum%22&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE816IE816&tbm=nws&ei=lO-9W8WTF8H0kwXSy6SoDA&start=40&sa=N&biw=2048&bih=1042&dpr=1.25 some say potential storm Callum others just say storm Callum but I guess that never official happened. Wouldn't it be better if Met Eireann kept its list of names secret until they official announced them as storms etc, then news reports wouldn't be able to jump the gun on naming something as if its official.

1 person has thanked this post
sryanbruen Registered User

expectationlost said:
(never know which thread to use in this forum)

I had thought that storm callum had come and gone a few weeks ago, there were news reports about it https://www.google.ie/search?q=%22Storm+Callum%22&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE816IE816&tbm=nws&ei=lO-9W8WTF8H0kwXSy6SoDA&start=40&sa=N&biw=2048&bih=1042&dpr=1.25 some say potential storm Callum others just say storm Callum but I guess that never official happened. Wouldn't it be better if Met Eireann kept its list of names secret until they official announced them as storms etc, then news reports wouldn't be able to jump the gun on naming something as if its official.

When Callum was used on here for the Sunday 23 September low, it was always potential Callum as it was easier to say than "that low on Sunday" so to speak. It was never officially named as the storm was dramatically downgraded on model runs closer to the time which was all reported on here and other weather forums. Not in our control how useless the media is.

expectationlost Registered User

sryanbruen said:
When Callum was used on here for the Sunday 23 September low, it was always potential Callum as it was easier to say than "that low on Sunday" so to speak. It was never officially named as the storm was dramatically downgraded on model runs closer to the time which was all reported on here and other weather forums. Not in our control how useless the media is.

I wasn't criticising the boards, although ( I think even saying potential callum allows confusion), I was suggesting it as something the Met might do, as discussion point. I welcomed the naming of the storms as I thought it help distinguish them but I think its better to stick with a more vague "that low on Sunday" until it actually becomes a storm or not.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!