archer22 Registered User
#1

Hi wondering if anybody here that have experience of prepay electricity?..is it a good or bad system overall.I am a low usage electricity user and out of Ireland for several months each year.I have seen the prepay power .ie ads and considering it but would like to hear others experience of this first..Thanks

Conspectus It's Latin you Peasants
#2

We have prepaypower. We find the amount per month is still the same or there abouts but no hefty bill at the end of every 2 months.

We can see what the money is going on also and try cut down usage of stuff.

1 person has thanked this post
archer22 Registered User
#3

ken said:
We have prepaypower. We find the amount per month is still the same or there abouts but no hefty bill at the end of every 2 month.

We can see what the money is going on also and try cut down usage of stuff.

I am wondering about the standing charges...are they still being applied when there is no electricity being used..as in my case when I am out of country for several months..dont want to for example to come back and put 50 euros credit in it only to find its all used up on standing charges and I still have no power .

Doreen53 Registered User
#4

I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to change over to Pre-Pay Power.ie. Has anybody else changed over and what do they think?

Conspectus It's Latin you Peasants
#5

archer22 said:
I am wondering about the standing charges...are they still being applied when there is no electricity being used..as in my case when I am out of country for several months..dont want to for example to come back and put 50 euros credit in it only to find its all used up on standing charges and I still have no power .

They don't work that way. Once your credit is used up you have an emergency €5. Once that runs out your power is off. When you next top up (lets say by €20) the €5 is taken back and you now have €15 and your emergency €5 back in place.

Please be aware that with prepaypower.ie's control panel once credit drops below €3 it emits a very loud beeping noise till you press a button to stop it. As far as I know(and I've been trying for 5 months) their is no way to disable it.

dudara Administrator
#6

Moved to Accomodation & Property

dudara

sanna Registered User
#7

I got my meter in last wk, so far so good, have been hacked off with incorrect reads and estimated bills for last yr so figured this was best way to go! Now getting gas one in too, relief of 2 less bills is fab!

1 person has thanked this post
#8

Looks like it would be worse for you, not only do you have to pay usual levies, you also have to pay a Prepayment service charge of 37.5c per day, that's a fair bit more than other providers low usage standing charge.

emeldc Registered User
#9

ken said:
They don't work that way. Once your credit is used up you have an emergency €5. Once that runs out your power is off. When you next top up (lets say by €20) the €5 is taken back and you now have €15 and your emergency €5 back in place.

Please be aware that with prepaypower.ie's control panel once credit drops below €3 it emits a very loud beeping noise till you press a button to stop it. As far as I know(and I've been trying for 5 months) their is no way to disable it.


Not quite correct. If you are away from your house and not using any electricity you are still charged 80cent per day. This is made up with the standard charge (ESB meter rental) and a 37cent charge from 'prepay power' to pay for the use of their meter. In short you pay approx €2.50 extra per week to have a prepay meter on top of the normal ESB charges. In my opinion it's not really worth it unless your bills are quite large. You also can't shop around for a better deal while on a prepay meter.

archer22 Registered User
#10

emeldc said:
Not quite correct. If you are away from your house and not using any electricity you are still charged 80cent per day. This is made up with the standard charge (ESB meter rental) and a 37cent charge from 'prepay power' to pay for the use of their meter. In short you pay approx €2.50 extra per week to have a prepay meter on top of the normal ESB charges. In my opinion it's not really worth it unless your bills are quite large. You also can't shop around for a better deal while on a prepay meter.

Yeah you keep getting charged even when its not being used and then you must pay that off before you can use it again..I think the best thing about it was the advert ...Seems since electricity was deregulated in Ireland instead of prices dropping a race has begun to see who can charge the most

1 person has thanked this post
the_syco Registered User
#11

archer22 said:
Seems since electricity was deregulated in Ireland instead of prices dropping a race has begun to see who can charge the most

I'm pretty sure it's regulated, as if it wasn't, ESB could drop their prices to wipe out the competition.

ted1 Registered User
#12

Price of fuel is rising, that's why it's going up.

#13

I got a flyer in the door for one of these services over the weekend. They had a 'meter charge' of something like 37.5 cents per day and a guarantee that their unit price and standing charge etc would match the Electric Ireland standard rates.

So you are paying ~ EUR 137 per annum for the service before using any electricity.

May make sense for some people.

For me that would be 3 - 4 months electricity cost.

archer22 Registered User
#14

ted1 said:
Price of fuel is rising, that's why it's going up.

Probably pay rates have more to do with it Electric Ireland average pay Euro 92,000 per annum CEO Euro 318,000 per annum..it has to come from somewhere..no prizes for guessing where.

ted1 Registered User
#15

archer22 said:

Probably pay rates have more to do with it Electric Ireland average pay Euro 92,000 per annum CEO Euro 318,000 per annum..it has to come from somewhere..no prizes for guessing where.


Think your figures are completely off the wall, one section may have high wages but I can tell you that is not the average for the whole conpany

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!