#1

Hi,

My Mam bought a kindle for her 16 year old grandson (my nephew), without doing a whole lot of research.

My idea was to buy an Amazon UK gift voucher, set him up with an Amazon UK account and let him work away with ordering books. but now I'm getting the impression that this wont be possible.

Can anyone suggest the best thing to do to enable him to buy books onto the kindle?

Thanks

Mars Bar I belong here. As do you.
#2

Set him up the way you were going to and he can order books for the kindle through amazon. I think...

implausible Registered User
#3

Irish users have to order from Amazon.com. They will let you order from amazon.co.uk for a while, but without proof of a UK address, will stop you from using it and divert you to the .com site. Easiest thing to do? Set him up with a .com account and buy him .com vouchers.

2 people have thanked this post
#4

implausible said:
Irish users have to order from Amazon.com. They will let you order from amazon.co.uk for a while, but without proof of a UK address, will stop you from using it and divert you to the .com site. Easiest thing to do? Set him up with a .com account and buy him .com vouchers.


Thanks for the replies.
I actually already have the Amazon UK voucher, but i do have a relation in the UK and could possibly use their address.

I wonder would they accept my parcel motel address

CarrickMcJoe Registered User
#5

Just change your address to your relations UK one and off you go, I did the same thing by using my bros address.

2 people have thanked this post
Mars Bar I belong here. As do you.
#6

CarrickMcJoe said:
Just change your address to your relations UK one and off you go, I did the same thing by using my bros address.


If the kindle (I'm talking kindle fire here) was bought and delivered in the UK but on an Irish credit card, would that restrict what I get? I could register mine on my sisters address but she bought it with an Irish credit card...

implausible Registered User
#7

Mars Bar said:
If the kindle (I'm talking kindle fire here) was bought and delivered in the UK but on an Irish credit card, would that restrict what I get? I could register mine on my sisters address but she bought it with an Irish credit card...


It's not really to do with the credit card and the postal address. If Amazon detect that you are using a non-UK IP address all the time, they will ask you to prove that your postal address is a UK one.

2 people have thanked this post
CarrickMcJoe Registered User
#8

Mars Bar said:
If the kindle (I'm talking kindle fire here) was bought and delivered in the UK but on an Irish credit card, would that restrict what I get? I could register mine on my sisters address but she bought it with an Irish credit card...


No, I found that a lot of the books available here were not listed on American site which is why I switched to UK one. On it a year now and so far no problems, my card is also Irish and reciepts are sent to my eircom account.

1 person has thanked this post
fits Registered User
#9

This is really annoying. I have the same problem, have to go to .com. Its more expensive for some of the things I want and I'm not using my kindle that much as a result.

CarrickMcJoe Registered User
#10

fits said:
This is really annoying. I have the same problem, have to go to .com. Its more expensive for some of the things I want and I'm not using my kindle that much as a result.


Try changing your address on your kindle acc to a N. Ireland or UK one.
Pick any address as they wont know. (Just make sure you dont send any items there by accident)

They will send you an email welcoming you to UK store and youre in.

1 person has thanked this post
Mars Bar I belong here. As do you.
#11

Excellent, I'll use my sisters address so. Thank you!

#12

Sorry to go slightly off topic but a friend of mine has a kindle and I need to get her something small so was thinking I could get her some book credit. Is it possible to buy kindle vouchers in bricks and mortar shops? If so, which shops?

The Black Oil Registered User
#13

Is there anything like a Kindle voucher, say in the same way there are iTunes ones? It would be great to just be able to load on X amount of credit and buy away until you run empty, would save relying on credit cards the whole time. But I guess rights issues trump this.

implausible Registered User
#14

CarrickMcJoe said:
Try changing your address on your kindle acc to a N. Ireland or UK one.
Pick any address as they wont know. (Just make sure you dont send any items there by accident)

They will send you an email welcoming you to UK store and youre in.


How long have you been doing this? Do you connect the kindle to wifi to purchase books? They've stopped me buying from the .uk store until I provide proof of uk address.

implausible Registered User
#15

Lenin Skynard said:
Is it possible to buy kindle vouchers in bricks and mortar shops? If so, which shops?


The Black Oil said:
Is there anything like a Kindle voucher, say in the same way there are iTunes ones?


Amazon gift card.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!