carchaeologist said:

We now know the price and value of things

If the govt copped on and made life easier then things might be different

2 people have thanked this post
galwaytt Registered User

Capri said:

We now know the price and value of things

If the govt copped on and made life easier then things might be different

And if they read this thread they might take umbrage at the whole scene and fubar it for everyone......

carchaeologist Moderator

galwaytt said:
And if they read this thread they might take umbrage at the whole scene and fubar it for everyone......

They have it pretty ****ed up as it is with the 1980 NCT lockdown and the 5 digit ZVs. All this contributes to the problem.

Wonder will the budget make things any worse...

1 person has thanked this post
galwaytt Registered User

carchaeologist said:

They have it pretty ****ed up as it is with the 1980 NCT lockdown and the 5 digit ZVs. All this contributes to the problem.

Wonder will the budget make things any worse...

Number plates are the least of the issues. €€€ is much more.

great thread Carchy...an Elephant that needs pointing out....

carchaeologist Moderator

galwaytt said:
Number plates are the least of the issues. €€€ is much more.

Indeed, but if number plates didn't matter why have we have the even sillier 131 and 132 series plates on the way next year. One seems to follow the other.

I forgot to mention the idiotic import series plates in my original post.

unfit2006 Registered User

The VRT on imported vehicles over 30 years old is what ....€200.

An old Irish tax book costs €200, maybe €300 depending on make/model.

So its really much the same cost either way

It appears to me that most guys bringing in an old car from UK would now go the "ringing" route rather than impose one of those ridiculous ZV plates on their classic car.

The plate now certainly does matter. I would never have considered the "ringing" of an imported classic in the past but I would consider it now and only because of the shambles of this whole ZV plate thing.

The loss of revenue to the state on the ringing of 30 year old imports is not/never will be significant in real terms so it's really a matter of preserving some degree of integrity in the Irish classic car scene at the end of the day. That is the thing that bothers me about the practice.

Why does the ZV plate thing matter so much anyway? I've always wondered why some people get sniffy over the issue,. Surely a licence plate is a licence plate?

Dades Would you like to know more?

unfit2006 said:
The VRT on imported vehicles over 30 years old is what ....€200.

An old Irish tax book costs €200, maybe €300 depending on make/model.

So its really much the same cost either way.
You're assuming the car is actually pre-1980. There's benefits to be have for having the docs for an earlier model than the one you might actually have, depending on the year.

carchaeologist Moderator

Confab said:
Why does the ZV plate thing matter so much anyway? I've always wondered why some people get sniffy over the issue,. Surely a licence plate is a licence plate?

Indeed, but the illegal practice of cloning cars is the big issue. And like it or not most people do like a nice looking plate on their classic.

carchaeologist said:
Indeed, but the illegal practice of cloning cars is the big issue. And like it or not most people do like a nice looking plate on their classic.

indeed and the State could be earning from this rather than some chancer with an old book. Personal plates are big business elsewhere.

4 people have thanked this post
mountai Registered User

Well its a great relief to know that all cloned vehicles have valid insurance. Even though false information has been given when taking out these policies. I bet there will be a "Feeding Frenzie" among a certain group , to get their hands on these Log Books.!!!!

i don't believe thats true. Never been tested.

I'm sure if the Insurance Company proved the vehicle stolen/ crashed was not in fact the one insured, then they would not have to pay out, or if they did, they would come after the owner for the money.

mountai Registered User

corktina said:
i don't believe thats true. Never been tested.

I'm sure if the Insurance Company proved the vehicle stolen/ crashed was not in fact the one insured, then they would not have to pay out, or if they did, they would come after the owner for the money.

I have been assured it is true.If you click on the link (sorry I cant do Links) in the" Cloned Car" post on this page, follow the discussion , and you will see that many learned Legal People have given this opinion.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!