http://www.munster-express.ie/front-page-news/general-stories/airport-broke-even-during-tough-2011/ It cost me €45 to fly to the UK from Dublin with Ryan Air as opposed to €180 from Waterford Airport. I'm all for supporting our own but the difference in prices paid for two nights accomodation!

2 people have thanked this post

SPQRI said:
http://www.munster-express.ie/front-page-news/general-stories/airport-broke-even-during-tough-2011/ It cost me €45 to fly to the UK from Dublin with Ryan Air as opposed to €180 from Waterford Airport. I'm all for supporting our own but the difference in prices paid for two nights accomodation!

I worked this out recently too. There was €120 in the difference when I checked.

But..
€50 for fuel to get to Dublin and back.
€30 for parking in the airport in Dublin.
€20 for lunch for us both in the airport or on the way.

and.. I was able to leave my house an hour before the flight from Waterford and still fit in a coffee in the airport. On the way home, I was putting the kettle on half an hour after we landed.

7 people have thanked this post
kensutz Registered User

SPQRI said:
It cost me €45 to fly to the UK from Dublin with Ryan Air !

Says it all. I'd rather give Waterford Airport the money when I'm heading over for work rather than fill O'Learys pockets.

Sully Moderator

Maybe they do this already but why not add an Airport Development charge to all those flying out? Knock do it.

kensutz Registered User

They had been doing it for a while where you paid €10 at the airport.

old gregg Registered User

Rapid Express to Dublin and Ryanair to London still works out way, way cheaper than flying from Waterford in most cases. Always prefer to support local but the numbers seldom add up for me in this case. Even today I'm looking at going over to London for a concert in December. The Waterford price is 3 times that of the Ryanair equivalent. It's a no brainer as to which way I'll fly.

1 person has thanked this post

old gregg said:
Rapid Express to Dublin and Ryanair to London still works out way, way cheaper than flying from Waterford in most cases. Always prefer to support local but the numbers seldom add up for me in this case. Even today I'm looking at going over to London for a concert in December. The Waterford price is 3 times that of the Ryanair equivalent. It's a no brainer as to which way I'll fly.

Not true you forget baggage,20 kg allowed in the hold plus hand baggage with aer Arran .your underpants if your lucky with Ryanair

Cabaal Ultra Running Mod

wellboytoo said:
.your underpants if your lucky with Ryanair

Its a 10kg allowance, which is plenty if you are just going for a weekend away.

hardybuck Registered User

Trotter said:
I worked this out recently too. There was €120 in the difference when I checked.

But..

and.. I was able to leave my house an hour before the flight from Waterford and still fit in a coffee in the airport. On the way home, I was putting the kettle on half an hour after we landed.

Not trying to be smart, but seriously dude - start budgeting! My diesel car will do two return trips to Dublin and 100 miles more on a tank which costs €80 odd to fill. I wouldn't be shelling out €20 for lunch too often either!If your flight times permit, I recommend Rapid Express. If it's just two of you it's economical, you can put your feet up, take a nap and are dropped right to the door of the terminal. I just did a sample check. Waterford - Manchester for a weekend in December was €195 per person and going from Dublin was €30 per person. It'd want to be some convenience to make up a difference of about €330 in ticket prices for a couple travelling.

Eh I wasn't exactly looking for a reason not to fly from Waterford. I also drive a car that's different from yours.

My budgeting is fine thanks. Next time I go away, Im going to spend €11 on lunch just to make a point.

Flying Waterford is my choice.

5 people have thanked this post
kensutz Registered User

It's €50 for me to get up and down to Dublin too. For Ryanair you pay €25 each way to check in a bag up until Sep 30th and €15 each way after that. It's not so bad flying out if your baggage is a little too wide for hand luggage but on the way back they have somebody at the gate with the bag measuring contraption waiting to sting you before you board. For stress free I'd pay the extra to fly out from Waterford.

old gregg Registered User

wellboytoo said:
Not true you forget baggage,20 kg allowed in the hold plus hand baggage with aer Arran .your underpants if your lucky with Ryanair

Yes true. 10kg Hand luggage is all I'd need for a weekend in London. Now maybe if aer Arran or whoever had a similar pricing structure as Ryanair it might make a difference. Not much point in me paying for the option of 20kg in the hold when I'm never going to need it.

Trotter said:

But..

€22.50 RETURN by Bus. Directly to the airport & picked up from the airport. €67.50 in 'TOTAL'

SPQRI said:
€22.50 RETURN by Bus. Directly to the airport & picked up from the airport. €67.50 in 'TOTAL'

ten hours of your life gone on a bus , no thanks

thomasm Registered User

4 hours on a bus stopping every 30 mins is off putting too for a journey you could do in 90-100 mins in the car

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!