zlezlius Registered User

Lads got the stag this morning-nice healthy looking animal. After taking out the insides noticed something unusual on liver (see pictures).Didn't seet that so far on any I shot , so thought I'll throw the pictures up here to see what you think. Could it be the start of something bad that white part of liver? Also I think the colour of the liver was a bit yellowish, at least it looked like that, no really other liver to compare...Thanks for your opinion

Grizzly 45 Registered User

Looks like a cancer tumor.
Check to see if there are any very thin,look like white string in the fresh cut or flat white yokes,They are either liver flukes or liver worms
Unless you are going to use the liver for food, I wouldnt worry too much about it.If you are ,cut well back from the damaged spots and cook it well thru .. That will kill off any nasties.

Congrats on the stag BTW.Was out myself this AM,with nothing to show for it.

1 person has thanked this post
zlezlius Registered User

Thanks Grizz, not going to eat the liver thats for sure, just worried about the rest of meat.
The stag was really nice. I'll put up the pictures in Photos thread in a minute

dax121 Registered User

looks like liver fluke to me also. the meet will be fine to eat just bin the liver.

2 people have thanked this post

zlezlius said:
Lads got the stag this morning-nice healthy looking animal. After taking out the insides noticed something unusual on liver (see pictures).Didn't seet that so far on any I shot , so thought I'll throw the pictures up here to see what you think. Could it be the start of something bad that white part of liver? Also I think the colour of the liver was a bit yellowish, at least it looked like that, no really other liver to compare...Thanks for your opinion

In the balance between the old sayings "waste not, want not" and when in doubt throw it out, I defer to the later.

If you are any way unsure, throw it out, unless an expert says otherwise.

Here's a link, scroll down to my post and there's a few links you may find handy.

Another link, maybe the one you need, if not, nonetheless a great read/view.

TriggerPL Registered User

FISMA said:

In the balance between the old sayings "waste not, want not" and when in doubt throw it out, I defer to the later.

If you are any way unsure, throw it out, unless an expert says otherwise.

Here's a link, scroll down to my post and there's a few links you may find handy.

Another link, maybe the one you need, if not, nonetheless a great read/view.

Liver fluke ! Can believe ya didn dose that stag befor shooting . Poor management

2 people have thanked this post
daithi55 Registered User

looks like liver fluke to me mate

Sika98k Registered User

TriggerPL said:
Liver fluke ! Can believe ya didn dose that stag befor shooting . Poor management

Funny post !

Glensman Registered User

TriggerPL said:

I disagree.
It is up to farmers to dose Deer for fluke.
Also, good drainage helps keep fluke away...

Poor form on the farmer's part

German pointer Registered User

What county did you shoot him in? The reason I ask is that I got a doe late last season in North Tipp with the same problem.

zlezlius Registered User

German pointer said:
What county did you shoot him in? The reason I ask is that I got a doe late last season in North Tipp with the same problem.

Co Offaly

terminator2 Registered User

zlezlius said:
Thanks Grizz, not going to eat the liver thats for sure, just worried about the rest of meat.
The stag was really nice. I'll put up the pictures in Photos thread in a minute
a lot of deer have liver fluke , wouldnt advise eating it anyway

zlezlius Registered User

terminator2 said:
a lot of deer have liver fluke , wouldnt advise eating it anyway

You wouldn't advice eating liver or the rest of the meat?

meathstevie Registered User

A good spell in a proper freezer for the non offal meat of the carcass will do the trick if you're in doubt.

greengrasscork Registered User

Saw the same thing in a sika buck I shot last month he was in bad condition and liver was same as pic posted had a friend get the liver and lungs tested just to see was it anything other than fluke but came back as fluke.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!