texanman Registered User
#1

I have a 2006 115bhp focus ghia.


I brought it into the dealer and got it serviced. The said they could find nothing wrong. When I drove it home it was losing power when going uphill on the motorway. It lost 10kph on some hills in 5th gear.

I recently bought bridgestone A001 all weather tyres.

Would tyres cause this, I was thinking of asking for a compression test.

Any ideas?

#2

texanman said:
I have a 2006 115bhp focus ghia.


I brought it into the dealer and got it serviced. The said they could find nothing wrong. When I drove it home it was losing power when going uphill on the motorway. It lost 10kph on some hills in 5th gear.

I recently bought bridgestone A001 all weather tyres.

Would tyres cause this, I was thinking of asking for a compression test.

Any ideas?



The tyres certainly couldn't cause it.

A dealer saying they found nothing means just that, nothing. Unless they charged your for labour and/or diagnostics then they didn't look at the problem any further then having a look around while doing the service.

1 person has thanked this post
Outkast_IRE Registered User
#3

Is that the 1.4 ford focus , if your going up hill on a motorway in them they are going to lose speed, very very heavy car for the engine if its the 1.4 your in. I know as i own the older model 1.4 and thats not as bad but still a tad heavy. The newer model is heavier again and that engine should never of been allowed into it imo.

Are you sure your not just paranoid after the service ? do you go uphill on motorway often ?

#4

i guess it depends on how fast you were going...if it was on the limit , you'd expect it to lose speed uphill, but that doesn't sound likely.

It sounds like you are saying it ran out of power , should be plenty there with 115bhp..clutch isn't slipping is it?

#5

Outkast_IRE said:
Is that the 1.4 ford focus , if your going up hill on a motorway in them they are going to lose speed, very very heavy car for the engine if its the 1.4 your in. I know as i own the older model 1.4 and thats not as bad but still a tad heavy. The newer model is heavier again and that engine should never of been allowed into it imo.

Are you sure your not just paranoid after the service ? do you go uphill on motorway often ?



The 115hp is the 1.6 engine. It shouldn't really have any bother with a motorway hill in 5th.

2 people have thanked this post
texanman Registered User
#6

The ford dealer charger €150 for oil, airfilter, oil filter.
They said they plugged it into a computer and found nothing.

Its a 1.6 and I travel on this route often and they car didn't lose power before.

It sounds slightly different, I said this to the dealer and they found nothing.

I'm bringing it back tomorrow.

I was driving using cruise control @ 120kph and on some hills it went down to 110kph.

Its not the clutch, its just not as powerful.

Outkast_IRE Registered User
#7

Nissan doctor said:
The 115hp is the 1.6 engine. It shouldn't really have any bother with a motorway hill in 5th.

Yeah dead right, the 1.6 engine always seemed well able in the focus.

#8

texanman said:
The ford dealer charger €150 for oil, airfilter, oil filter.
They said they plugged it into a computer and found nothing.

Its a 1.6 and I travel on this route often and they car didn't lose power before.

It sounds slightly different, I said this to the dealer and they found nothing.

I'm bringing it back tomorrow.

I was driving using cruise control @ 120kph and on some hills it went down to 110kph.

Its not the clutch, its just not as powerful.



Is there no decent independent garage you can bring it to? No reason to be paying dealer prices for an 06 car(or any car for that matter).

texanman Registered User
#9

The dealer didn't charge for looking as it was in warranty. Thank god !

If I don't get any satisfaction tomorrow ,I'll go else where.

1 person has thanked this post
#10

texanman said:
The dealer didn't charge for looking as it was in warranty. Thank god !

If I don't get any satisfaction tomorrow ,I'll go else where.



When is your warranty up? Cos that's the date that the dealer is likely aiming for with any delays.

texanman Registered User
#11

Its up now I think but they are not charging as this problem came on before the warranty ended.

Could it be compression or the exhaust system?

#12

texanman said:
Its up now I think but they are not charging as this problem came on before the warranty ended.

Could it be compression or the exhaust system?



Both would be very unlikely on a Focus. I'd be have the car properly diagnosed, i.e not just plugging the computer in a scanning for codes.

texanman Registered User
#13

brought the car down today. was told that a sensor is gone in the engine.they said they would change the timing belt too. I have to see if they are going to cover it under warranty, as its just up.

Fingers crossed !

Would a sensor gone cause loss of power?

mullingar Registered User
#14

Nissan doctor said:
The 115hp is the 1.6 engine. It shouldn't really have any bother with a motorway hill in 5th.


In 2006 the 115hp engine was the old 1.8td and the 1.6 came in 90 and 110.

The newer focus 1.6 is 115.

#15

mullingar said:
In 2006 the 115hp engine was the old 1.8td and the 1.6 came in 90 and 110.

The newer focus 1.6 is 115.



The MK2 focus was out in 2006 with 115hp.

@OP, 'a' sensor certainly could cause various running issues. Did they tell you what sensor?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!