D-Generate Registered User
#1

It is not often I am incensed by customer service but I have to say that Aer Lingus' customer service (or lack of it) makes even Michael O'Leary seem as courteous as the concierge at the Ritz.

A friend of mine in London purchased a gift voucher for flights as a present for me to visit him. The UK Aer Lingus website pushed my friend into purchasing sterling denominated gift vouchers but here comes the crux of the matter, the Irish website won't let me redeem a non-euro denominated gift voucher which basically makes them pointless. Heck, even trying to book through the UK website failed as flights were repriced to euro again.

I phoned the booking department to try and have them book it manually for me but they said it was impossible. They did offer the helpful advice of saying that I should book a return originating from the UK but the polite lady on the phone couldn't quite grasp that I would have to be based in the UK for that to work...

After much headbanging with their booking department I asked to be put through to customer service and was told that I had been transported to 1985 and that they only had a fax machine for complaints. It is an absolute disgrace that our flag carrier uses such an obsolete technology for communications with customers. To me it gives the impression that they wholly discourage feedback from customers and have no interest in changing this matter.

Anyway, dusting off the office fax machine I decided to try and go by their rules and sent my complaint in writing through the fax. After 3 working days I received a reply that was a politely worded PFO and that the vouchers were indeed basically useless for anyone not wanting to originate their flight from the UK. Great, folks will buy vouchers for themselves in future I guess!

**** you Aer Lingus, **** you and your **** customer service.

2 people have thanked this post
Paulw Moderator
#2

At time of buying the vouchers, it clearly states - *Vouchers can only be redeemed against bookings in the currency of issue. So, if Stg vouchers are bought, then the flight must be in Stg (from the UK.

It's not the fault of Aer Lingus that your friend didn't read this. Your friend should have purchased Euro vouchers for you to use.

Get your friend to buy you a Euro voucher.

3 people have thanked this post
borderlinemeath Registered User
#3

Paulw said:
At time of buying the vouchers, it clearly states - *Vouchers can only be redeemed against bookings in the currency of issue. So, if Stg vouchers are bought, then the flight must be in Stg (from the UK.

It's not the fault of Aer Lingus that your friend didn't read this. Your friend should have purchased Euro vouchers for you to use.

Get your friend to use the Stg voucher and get him/her to buy you a Euro voucher.


Or just get him to book the flights for you as he's based in the UK. All he has to do then is email you the boarding cards.

6 people have thanked this post
orionm_73 Registered User
#4

Not sure how the EI website pushed your friend into purchasing in GBP as it clearly asks you to select currency and then amount. Maybe your friend forgot that you would be using EUR. Website also clearly says that vouchers purchased online can only be used for online bookings and not for telephone bookings.

1 person has thanked this post
keithclancy Registered User
#5

borderlinemeath said:
Or just get him to book the flights for you as he's based in the UK. All he has to do then is email you the boarding cards.


I think everyone here is missing the point.

If you get the vouchers in Sterling then you can ONLY book a flight originating from the UK, it doesn't matter where you live.

That IMO is a pretty stupid voucher.. any other Airline I can think of EVEN Ryanair, you can pay for a flight in any any currency.

Should be made clear on the Voucher T&Cs that you can only book a flight originating from the United Kingdom. Leaving the currency out of the equation, it would be the same as my Family buying me a voucher for a flight home for christmas and then finding out that the flight has to originate from cork.

If someone got me a Voucher in Sterling with Aer Lingus I would have to fly to the UK first from Amsterdam and then fly from there to somewhere in Ireland.

Paulw said:
At time of buying the vouchers, it clearly states - *Vouchers can only be redeemed against bookings in the currency of issue. So, if Stg vouchers are bought, then the flight must be in Stg (from the UK.


Thats a bit deceptive, it should say *Vouchers can only be redeemed against bookings in the currency of Issue, when that Currency is in a non Euro denomination it has to originate from that Country*.

1 person has thanked this post
Paulw Moderator
#6

keithclancy said:

Should be made clear on the Voucher T&Cs that you can only book a flight originating from the United Kingdom.

That's a bit deceptive, it should say *Vouchers can only be redeemed against bookings in the currency of Issue, when that Currency is in a non Euro denomination it has to originate from that Country*.


The only three currencies - Euro, Sterling and US dollars.

The website is clear and obvious.
-

You can purchase vouchers in Euro, U.S. Dollars or Pounds Sterling in denominations from 25 to 500*. They are valid for 12 months from the date of purchase and can only be redeemed on aerlingus.com

*Vouchers can only be redeemed against bookings in the currency of issue.


People should read the information before buying.

munchkin_utd Registered User
#7

To be honest, its the same with apple store vouchers too - only redemable in the particular nation they are bought for.
This is why you need to check terms and conditions.
Your friend is at fault not aerlingus.

anyhow, thing laterally not literally.
You want a return to the UK so book it as 2 singles.
You can pay for the outward leg in Euro from your creditcard
The return leg departing UK you can pay for with the STG gift card as it will be automatically priced in STG.

Alternatively, if you want both legs in STG then just start your journey in Belfast.
Theres flights to Heathrow and all sorts of destinations and the prices can sometimes be better than from Dubin anyhow.

Cabaal Ultra Running Mod
#8

Exact same with Amazon vouchers as well, you can't buy them on .com and use them on .co.uk or visa versa.

keithclancy Registered User
#9

Paulw said:
The only three currencies - Euro, Sterling and US dollars.

The website is clear and obvious.
-

You can purchase vouchers in Euro, U.S. Dollars or Pounds Sterling in denominations from 25 to 500*. They are valid for 12 months from the date of purchase and can only be redeemed on aerlingus.com

*Vouchers can only be redeemed against bookings in the currency of issue.


People should read the information before buying.


Indeed, but for example if they only allow flights from places where those places are the currency then they should clearly point out for example that you cannot book a flight from Poland to Ireland (Which is in Polish Zloty) using a gift voucher.

Yes, its absolutely clear that if you get a voucher in a currency the booking has to be made in the currency of the voucher. What is not clear at all, is that the currency mandates that you book the flight originating from that currencies country of origin.

E.G.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/how-can-i-redeem-my-gift-vouchers

Gift vouchers can be redeemed when you book your flights on http://www.ryanair.com/ by simply inserting your gift voucher reference on the ryanair.com payment page. Please note that vouchers can only be redeemed in the currency of issue. For further information on the Gift Voucher Terms and Conditions click here.

However what this means with Ryanair is that you have to switch the currency to the currency you recieved the voucher in and then pay the remaining balance if any in the same currency. Which is possible.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75741831&postcount=7

IMO the Terms and Conditions do not explain the situation regarding the outgoing flights country of origin and only mentions currency.

I.E.
If I have a Sterling Credit card, I can book a flight from a Euro destination without issues.
If I have a Sterling voucher I cannot book a flight from a Euro Destination.

With vouchers from other Airlines its not the case, so IMO not clearly explaining the situation.

munchkin_utd said:
To be honest, its the same with apple store vouchers too - only redemable in the particular nation they are bought for.
This is why you need to check terms and conditions.
Your friend is at fault not aerlingus.

anyhow, thing laterally not literally.
You want a return to the UK so book it as 2 singles.
You can pay for the outward leg in Euro from your creditcard
The return leg departing UK you can pay for with the STG gift card as it will be automatically priced in STG.


With iTunes its a licensing issue, i.e. some songs are not available due to licensing issues in certain territories. Nothing like a flight at all.
I.E. I buy a Dutch iTunes Voucher, I cannot buy songs on the Irish iTunes store.

Another point is that the T&Cs also say:
What can Aer Lingus gift vouchers be used for?
Vouchers are redeemable toward the purchase of the flight(s) and associated taxes, charges and fees that are collected as part of your flight booking. Bag fees may be paid for with vouchers if bags are pre-booked during the purchase of the flight(s).


It mentions nothing about country of origin.

Cabaal said:
Exact same with Amazon vouchers as well, you can't buy them on .com and use them on .co.uk or visa versa.


True, but you can order stuff from Amazon.co.uk and pay the balance of the voucher with your Euro credit card (which I have done)

Cabaal Ultra Running Mod
#10

keithclancy said:

True, but you can order stuff from Amazon.co.uk and pay the balance of the voucher with your Euro credit card (which I have done)


Just for clarification,
If its a .com voucher you can't use it on .co.uk full stop,

You can use a .co.uk voucher on .co.uk and pay any remaining balance with a card alright, so say item is 20 and you have voucher for 10 you pay balance with your payment card.

But .com voucher still can't be used on .co.uk or visa versa as per my first post

keithclancy Registered User
#11

Cabaal said:
Just for clarification,
If its a .com voucher you can't use it on .co.uk full stop,

You can use a .co.uk voucher on .co.uk and pay any remaining balance with a card alright, so say item is 20 and you have voucher for 10 you pay balance with your payment card.

But .com voucher still can't be used on .co.uk or visa versa as per my first post


Off topic but:

Very true, but with Amazon its nothing to do with the Currency, its to do with the store.

I work in Germany and my colleagues got me a Amazon.de voucher, I couldn't use it on Amazon.fr and both use Euro denominations.

The voucher is restricted to the store, not the currency.

I'm having trouble using my gift certificate. What's happening?


Maybe your gift certificate was issued by another Amazon Site e.g. Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.fr, Amazon.ca, Amazon.co.jp or Amazon.cn. In this case you can not use your gift certificate at Amazon.de but only at the website the gift certificate was issued for.

Nolimits Registered User
#12

Would it be worth your while just using a UK proxy?

keithclancy Registered User
#13

Nolimits said:
Would it be worth your while just using a UK proxy?


Your location makes no difference, the currency on the Aer Lingus website is dictated by the Airport you fly from.

2 people have thanked this post
Newaglish Registered User
#14

Only thing you can do really is book two one-way flights and pay for the UK to Ireland flight with the voucher. Or, next time you're taking a long-haul flight that goes from Heathrow, book the main section (say, Heathrow to Miami) and use the voucher there and then pay for Ireland - Heathrow yourself.

It's not ideal, I'll admit. That's a pretty poor service although it is explained when you buy.

#15

as above - use the voucher for a one way flight from the UK and buy a one way flight from ireland using euro.

one way flights don't have a surcharge (not anytime I've booked)

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!