Optimus Prime Roll Out...

Quick update, got some work done on this today and thought id post, especially since my website i had the images ive posted before on was hacked two weeks ago and i lost everything so all the image links previously will be broken now.

Anyways..

Finally found a monitor i thought might fit in, decased it today and gave it a go..

And it fits! Barely...

Here is two images comparing the screen with the SLG 3000 off first, then on.. someone asked why i needed one before, and honstly i wasnt sure i did, but it does look a lot better with it on. These pics dont really show what it looks like in the flesh, found it hard to get a decent photo of the screen.

The CRT is a lot better, the viewing angle is great, before looking at it at an angle on a lcd it lost all the brightness. CRT is great from an angle.

Extra pics, original parts cleaned up.

Just need to get the glass top now. im also really considering trying to get the legs re-chromed or dipped or whatever because the silver spray paint on them is useless, its coming off at the slightest knock.

7 people have thanked this post

Looks class Keith, well done on going for the crt...it makes such a difference

eddhorse Registered User

Great job on the monitor, where did you salvage that from?

FixitFelix Registered User

Looks quality mate,love these cocktail cabs,could be my next purchase:-)

Great job

Cheers, picked up the monitor on adverts, just stuck up a wanted ad, barely fits but it will do the job. Much better brightness than a Lcd and you need it to look well at an angle in the cocktail which the Lcd didn't.

1 person has thanked this post
eddhorse Registered User

keithgeo said:
Cheers, picked up the monitor on adverts, just stuck up a wanted ad, barely fits but it will do the job. Much better brightness than a Lcd and you need it to look well at an angle in the cocktail which the Lcd didn't.

Nice, what size monitor do you need for cocktail cabs generally?

eddhorse said:
Nice, what size monitor do you need for cocktail cabs generally?

13 inch, which is why it took me so long to get one that fits. Also if the neck is too long on it, it won't fit in either.

eddhorse Registered User

Ok thanks for the info, rare alright !

andrewsm Registered User

Hey. Just joined this as I too aquired a clapped out old Moonbase cocktail table. Would like to chat to someone in similar position as although I have a load of electronics knowledge and experience repairing old radios etc, Im getting a few conflicting problems with this cabinet.
Thanks
Mark

CathalDublin Registered User

andrewsm said:
Hey. Just joined this as I too aquired a clapped out old Moonbase cocktail table. Would like to chat to someone in similar position as although I have a load of electronics knowledge and experience repairing old radios etc, Im getting a few conflicting problems with this cabinet.
Thanks
Mark

What problems are you having Andrew, once the CRT is working the others should be easily sorted

for sure, the crts, especially the old ones in these are a nightmare. at least mine was, i ended up taking it out and replacing it.

andrewsm Registered User

Hi. The problem lies within the main PCBs. Unit was dead when first bought but ive now repaired the PSU and the monitor. Had a bench one anyhow. After much fault finding the screen now displays a character 1 on the bottom right hand corner. First thought its a software fault as booting so far and stopping. Removed roms and replaced with a 27256 patched in to mimic the address map. Still got same result. I know the processor is fine and the ram too, so now im replacing chips on the IO board or MB3. Is the single character on the screen a error code or something? Its a moonbase zeta model.

andrewsm Registered User

Can any one tell me if the moonbase boards display memory errors? I have this board now running but it only displays a character 1 on the bottom right of screen. This happens with orginal roms as well as my made up single rom.

Using a little guesswork, I can only assume that the character 1 indicates that memory chips in bank 1 may be faulty. I have shorted pin 7 of the ram out and although all the others seem to display some change in the screen, the ones in bank 1 dont. Ordered two new chips but maybe someone knows about this?

Pipasawrus Registered User

We have a Cosmic Monster cocktail table game, its powering up but then nothing...can't see anything lose but any ideas? Used to love playing this with my son when he was small

Mitchomagic Registered User

Pipasawrus said:
We have a Cosmic Monster cocktail table game, its powering up but then nothing...can't see anything lose but any ideas? Used to love playing this with my son when he was small

Can you credit up?,can you hear the game playing ? if you can and no picture monitor issue, if you can't hear the game play then power supply/board faulty etc

Hope that helps

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!