hickory99 Registered User

I am absolutely horrified at the way this company conducts itself! I entered a draw and won a free photo. Was over the moon, been very rough year financially and baby is one and never had any professional photo's done of him. So all grand we arrange to go down me, him and the kids. Got there and they encourages us to try lots of difference things. I wanted to get one of the kids together, one of the baby alone, one of all of us and one of me, dp and the baby to see what they were like all at the encouragement of the staff.

I asked a couple of times about prices and kept getting told "oh we tailor packages to you on the day". Finished photo's and was given a leaflet with when to view the photo's and on it there was a price of over €900 scratch out and special price of €315, so I assumed ok well that must be if you want all the photo's (they took loads I think she was just holding her finger down at one stage click click click you know).

So went in the following week and she showed me our free one in the biggest size. I was dissapointed that they had pick one in which the baby wasen't smiling when there was another one there that we could buy that had everyone smiling in it. I asked her could we take the smaller one as our free one and was told no, it's the big one you get free which makes one sense cos surely the smaller one is worth less. My partner said when she walked away that he thinks the pick to worse one so you want to buy the other one. Anyway asked her about prices and she said oh they are €35 euro or €55 if you want all the small ones of each photo or 2 for €100 or 3 for €125.

I was disguisted at the prices (ok maybe some of you will think I should of expected that but on top of the original print an extra €20 just for copies in smaller sizes!) Anyway like I said money very tight but I did love two of the other photos. She kept pushing us to make a decision and said she could only hold the photo's until the next day!!! I was not told I would have to make a decision on the spot. I asked about a deposit and was told if I wanted two then I would have to pay €50 deposit, I mean seriously is half normal for a bloody deposit???

I told her I would think about it over night and pop back in tomorrow and see if I could borrow some money. I asked to take the free one now as we were going to visit grandmother and wanted to show her and were told, ah well we will keep it until tomorrow for you. I explained I wanted to show it to family and again "well we do keep them together until you decide which ones you want". I got so angry at the treatment that I decided not to take any off them, despite the fact I really loved two of them. We are barely scraping by and had we of been able to put a smaller deposit and pay it off then I would of been able to go with that.

I really am livid over the whole thing and I will post this on every site and media outlet I can find in case anyone else is as naive as I was going in

5 people have thanked this post
DaireQuinlan Registered User

hickory99 said:

Yeah sadly there do seem to be some studios that engage in this sort of bait and switch to get punters in the door and then try the hard sell to get the markup on the prints. Look at it this way, you got a free 8x10 out of it :-)

Also, for the love of god separate your rant into paragraphs. Otherwise no-one will actually read it.

1 person has thanked this post

lol daire I seperated it just for you Thanks for reply, ye I'm glad of the free one but like I said I wish it was the one of everyone smiling, I think my partner is right and that they don't pick the best one on purpose you know

2 people have thanked this post
DaireQuinlan Registered User

hickory99 said:
lol daire I seperated it just for you Thanks for reply, ye I'm glad of the free one but like I said I wish it was the one of everyone smiling, I think my partner is right and that they don't pick the best one on purpose you know

I'd imagine so, yes. Also this tactic
She kept pushing us to make a decision and said she could only hold the photo's until the next day!!
is pretty reprehensible.

2 people have thanked this post
IrishHomer Registered User

hickory99 said:

You could buy yourself a decent little camera for half that money and take thousands of photos yourself

6 people have thanked this post

Maybe spell the name of the company properly if you are going to rant about them online otherwise your rant will not be found with a google.

Yeah, Ive heard of this loads of times. I honestly dont understand why people dont just hire a recommended professional photographer rather than go to these studio places as its long been known the studio places push the hard sell and indulge in sharp practice.

Personally I wouldnt engage anywhere that didnt have a clear pricelist upfront.

thebaz Registered User

I thought this was going to be a rant against pix.ie - some of these names can be confusing

I changed the names there, I thought the thread would be locked if I put the full name up.

and ye I wouldn't have gone near them if I hadn't of "won" that draw which I now think it also a stunt.

Good point about the price of a camera by comparison to buying those photo's though

muller21 Banned

my sister had a similar experience. She bought a €50 for her god son to get photos taken. She was 18 at the time and only working part time so she thought this was a great gift. Her god son got all the photos and they got one free and had to pay €100's for the rest of the set. Looks like another case of buyer beware.

bullpost Registered User

They are pretty crafty by all accounts.

I was told of a family who went to get some photos taken from one of these.

The dad was wearing a tee-shirt of his favourite band.

When they returned to view the images guess what background music was playing :0

DaireQuinlan said:
Yeah sadly there do seem to be some studios that engage in this sort of bait and switch to get punters in the door and then try the hard sell to get the markup on the prints. Look at it this way, you got a free 8x10 out of it :-)...

I think the hard sell these places smacks of sharp practise. Leaves a bad taste certainly. But at the end of the day getting photos done is expensive. People should realise they are being pumped to spend a lot of money and simply say no.

If you have the money and want them ok. If you don't have the money and poor will power then stay away from these places. For me the free photo isn't worth all the hassle and hard sell you have to sit through.

pixbyjohn Registered User

Joe Duffy had a whole show on this in the past 2 years. Unfortunately they suck people in unwittingly to part with money through emotional blackmail.

tororosso Registered User

Sounds bad alright, had a look at their site and they do offer the one free photo. Will pass this info on to anybody asking about them.

Stephen P Registered User

Companies like these give photographers a bad name IMO. Not all photographers are out to make a quick buck.
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident OP

squareballoon Registered User

Aside from the way the whole thing was handled by Pixifoto what would you expect to pay for your photos bearing in mind that you had a session with different set ups and a gallery of images to choose from?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!