Patrick2010 Registered User

http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/68-south-dublin/deals/439017-boiler-service?awc=3925_1346419921_f85364e1259c88b7807e432254bddc80&temp_skip_roadblock=1+

Service for 39 euro or service and flush for 68 euro. Seems very cheap, anyone got one of these or have used Dublin plumbing and gas?, I'd be interested in opinions.

Billy Bunting Registered User

It's a joke, a flush of the loo after such a crap job.

7 people have thanked this post
JohnnieK Registered User

Flush me arse. If someone see's this deal then reads all the threads that have been posted on this before and still goes and buys one, you dont care about your boiler or heating system and you would be better keeping your €68 and not bother getting it serviced.

It is a total scam and I have been to 3 jobs in the last while where the customers have had these jokers in and I had to clean up the mess.

You know, I think I'll buy one just so I can pick them up by the scruff and trough them out my door.

2 people have thanked this post
jimf Registered User

for those kind of figures id say you probably would be better
off not reading the opinions of the kind of guys who
post on this forum for that kind of money its just not possible
to have either service or flush done properly let alone both

Robbie.G Registered User

Airtricty pay their subbies €38. Per boiler service I'm sure Bord Gais pay about the same

2 people have thanked this post
K.Flyer Registered User
gary71 "A Gasman"

Robbie.G said:
Airtricty pay their subbies €38. Per boiler service I'm sure Bord Gais pay about the same

€40 including vat

K.Flyer Registered User

Robbie.G said:

I know of a few cases where BG subbies left jobs in a dangerous condition. One to the degree that the boiler became so badly damaged that BG ended up paying out for the repairs to the boiler and refunded the cost of the service.

gary71 "A Gasman"

These large companies are there to make money first, perception of good service second and service third.

There are some good RGI's who work for them and have good customer focused skills ,but these would be personal skills and not corporate as the Bossmen see their customers as a revenue source and give there RGI's traing on maximising profit on every visit €€€ credibility is a word that has got lost with the rusting of all those crisp notes their counting.

DGOBS Hosted Moderator

You know, we spend so much time defending this kind of junk, simple householders, you get what you pay for, the choice is yours

When I see a sign for 'service your van for 45 euro' (usually costs me 300 as the oil is expensive) I would never dream of servicing my van there, as I know what I am going to get for my money.

Rule of thumb for life, if it sounds too good to be true, IT IS!

Some of these guys service 10-20 boilers a day!! (I couldn't do more than 6! properly)

4 people have thanked this post
Traditional Registered User

you aint seen nothing yet , there is a guy advertising it at 32 euro now oil or gas , did we leave a door open , are they mad , its a race to the bottom , having said that i know some one who booked them so i will pop out next week to see whats going on .

1 person has thanked this post
JohnnieK Registered User

Traditional said:
you aint seen nothing yet , there is a guy advertising it at 32 euro now oil or gas , did we leave a door open , are they mad , its a race to the bottom , having said that i know some one who booked them so i will pop out next week to see whats going on .

And bring Eddie Hobs with you

Paul Russell Registered User

"Service for 39 euro or service and flush for 68 euro. Seems very cheap, anyone got one of these or have used Dublin plumbing and gas?, I'd be interested in opinions."

Oh dear oh dear, I wish I had the benefit of hindsight.
I heard about this "service" from a friend and phoned for their gas service. They were with me in a flash on 21st September 2012. The guy "serviced" the boiler and also left with the payment of €39.00.

Two days later it was a bit cold in the evening and we turned on the heat. Low and behold, the boiler began leaking like a sieve and we had to phone the 24 hours emergency number. I told <Snip> that it was a bit of a coincidence that the heating was working fine before the service but was leaking all over the floor once it was turned on after the "service". Dave sent a guy the next day as we were going on holidays for a week. The guy said that the pressure guage was leaking "through wear and tear" and that he would order a new one and someoneone would fit it the day we returned from holiday.

Well, you can guess the rest. Despite numerous calls to this Dave and promises to call, there were "difficulties in getting the part", he would call "in the afternon", or "tomorrow" or the next day as "he was very busy".

So no heating from 21st September to 13th October when I got a proper person registered with the RGI who told me that the boiler was not serviced properly if at all as there were traces of grit in the filter. He said that <Snip> should have provided a Conformamce Certificate as required by law (not done). The system should have been properly tested to ensure the boiler was working in acordance with the instructions contained in the manual. He also told me that there is no way anyone could properly service a gas boiler for €39.00. Furthermore, he told me that he has never had to replace a pressure guage and the stockists said that they have only sold two in the past five years. Enough said.
So the moral of this story is caveat emptor (buyer beware) and never touch these cowboys with a barge pole. Warn your friends. You may even be puting yourr lives at risk by using them.

Mod Edit: Company Name removed

slavetothegrind Registered User

follow it up paul and complain to rgi and take him to the small claims for the 39 euro

people get away with stuff because they are let as victims don't bother complaining or persuing them!

Traditional Registered User

my pal told me when gas boiler man was coming , dropped out to meet him an his apprentice , who was a girl , any way they stripped down boiler , took out the burner brushed it out , removed all the dust with a small hover , checked burner pressure , even told us how much gas it was using per hour ,done a safety check all round the cover and put it all back together , checked the exhaust and put a probe into the flue , and was able to give a read out on the performance of the boiler , explained everything , knew their stuff ,
couldent fault them also said it was a special offer and wrote out the all important RGI cert ,
have to say great value for money , fair play to them

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!