Weepsie Registered User

I successfully attempted to completely strip down a bike the first time. It was possible with the most basic of tool sets, but not a chance i'd be able to put it back together just yet. Have a now relatively clean and shiny Ultegra 6600 groupset and clean Wilier frame to maybe try and build back up someday.

Didn't remove the bottom bracket however. I'm not ready for that.

Idleater Registered User

Replaced the chainring on the hacker commuter single speed bike.

Probably about time.

5 people have thanked this post
iwillhtfu Registered User

Idleater said:
Replaced the chainring on the hacker commuter single speed bike.

Probably about time.

Loads of life left in that

That is a circular saw right

1 person has thanked this post
Idleater Registered User

iwillhtfu said:
Loads of life left in that

That is a circular saw right

That's what you end up with running a 1/8 half-link chain.

I replaced it with a 40T narrow-wide ring that I got on the cheap.

Chain still doesn't sit perfect so I expect the same from that ring.

Idleater said:
That's what you end up with running a 1/8 half-link chain.

I replaced it with a 40T narrow-wide ring that I got on the cheap.

Chain still doesn't sit perfect so I expect the same from that ring.

I'm just picturing the chain snapping one day and that weapon opening up your calf

triggermortis Registered User

After the other days disaster with the saddle clamp (which I have since learnt is part of the seat post and not an actual seperate part!) I got a reply from Rose for a replacement.
89 euro + postage is too much for right now, so I joined the broken part with chemical metal (17 euro for a large tub in Halfords) and it's all good to go.
Only rode around the garden so need to test it fully, but seems to be doing the job ok. First use of my shiny new allen key sockets and torque wrench too!

cython Registered User

Replaced cable for rear mech after it snapped on the commute home (luckily <1km from home, and all flat between there and home ). Doubly lucky was that while it broke at the shifter end, once I rolled back the hood, the cable end fell straight out, rather than requiring retrieval from within the shifter. Probably should have done the lotto at that rate of going.....

Unknown Soldier Registered User

It's amazing how 7 days off the bike can leave it in dire ways during winter

Little bit (a lot) of elbow grease

My shed is probably next on the list of things needing fixed.

7 people have thanked this post
f1000 Registered User

Yeah, just cleaned my commuter SS. Badly needed with the weather lately. Luckily I did as I'd only noticed that my brake pads were down to the bone and could have caused some serious problems. Had to rob the pads from my road bike while I wait for some new ones. Also noticed my rear wheel bearings have a bit of give. LBS for that as I don't have the tools to sort. Time to lash on the mudguards again. Looks like we might be in for a wet couple of weeks

Cee-Jay-Cee Registered User

Took my 'good bike' out of the garage for the first time since Oct 16th last, dusted it with a rag, pumped up both tyres which were completely flat (latex tubes) and put it back in the garage again...too wet/dirty and miserable for it yet

Started another build.

I think the BMC frames and in particular this colour scheme are only go hálainn.

The saddle is there more for storage than anything I have an arione in the post along with pretty much everything else required with the exception of 6870 di2 derailleurs and cabling. If anyone out there is looking to move on some spares I'm all ears.

9 people have thanked this post
LollipopJimmy Registered User

Unknown Soldier said:
It's amazing how 7 days off the bike can leave it in dire ways during winter

My shed is probably next on the list of things needing fixed.

Nice work on the cleaning. I'm a bit nuts with the cleaning usually but I'm not commuting and won't be commuting on the bike anymore (new workplace is a 5 minute walk from home ) so I'm not going out in all weathers which means I'm not being as anal as usual.
My plans for tonight are clean the bike thoroughly along with a mini service and then clean my tools, serviced two cars last weekend and didn't clean my tools and it's been bothering me all week that they're dirty.

I finally got around to fitting that 110mm stem that I've had for about 6 months! I am quite the lazy ass sometimes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BR0f-eRhBga/

4 people have thanked this post
CrowdedHouse Registered User

Any problem tightening up the headset? (I presume it's the clamp type)

CrowdedHouse said:
Any problem tightening up the headset? (I presume it's the clamp type)

None and I have never had any issues with them. Once you wind the "clamp" screw so it's half hanging out, and then put the stem on/tighten. It's just a matter of winding the screw on the clamp back in until you feel it getting tight. Just a tad past finger tight! There are actually little markers (3) on it too.

I kept the original spacers on so once they are stiff and don't move, you're good to go.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!