uln Registered User

I have heard that unemployed dog owners can claim up to €19 per week to feed their dogs, up to a maximum of four dogs per person. To claim you have to present your dog licence. Had any one else heard of this?

anto9 Registered User

No .Do they pay the dog licence as well ?

3rdDegree Registered User

No, but as long as the money is genuinely used to feed the digs and not some owner's drug or alcohol habit, it seems fair enough to me.

^^^^ Oh yeah, and if you are African the SW will also give you a new car to bring the dog food home from the shop just in case you get hassle on the bus. In the same league as the 2 free child buggies a week scheme.

6 people have thanked this post
Augmerson Banned

If there isn't, then there should definitely should be Doggy Dole.

I'd like to see them all lined up outside the Social Welfare office on some ****e Tuesday morning when it's drizzling rain, all standing around, shuffling about, smoking and making chit-chat. Daschunds in little suits, Dobermans in Adidas tracksuits, the odd gorgeous looking Labrador.

4 people have thanked this post

Who told you this?
Seems to be an urban legend that made it to Dail Eireann. Twice.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2011/05/12/00064.asp

75. Deputy John O’Mahony asked the Minister for Social Protection if a dog owner in receipt of social welfare allowance may receive extra payment for dog food; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [11094/11]

Minister for Social Protection (Deputy Joan Burton): The position remains as advised in question number 146 which was answered for the Deputy on 1 December 2010. There are no payments made by the Department of Social Protection towards the cost of caring for a dog.

3 people have thanked this post

uln said:
I have heard that unemployed dog owners can claim up to €19 per week to feed their dogs, up to a maximum of four dogs per person. To claim you have to present your dog licence. Had any one else heard of this?

Yes I have also heard of this, dont know if I believe it though. I heard its €7 per week per dog and you just need to produce the licence which costs €20 I think so in three weeks your up €1. Cant imagine its true though as it would be too open to abuse as in someone could register a dog that doesnt exist and then get €7 per week for the non existent fella.

Moved from After Hours

State Benefits charter now applies

1 person has thanked this post
Pawwed Rig Category Moderator

From Later 12's link

Minister for Social Protection (Deputy Joan Burton): The position remains as advised in question number 146 which was answered for the Deputy on 1 December 2010. There are no payments made by the Department of Social Protection towards the cost of caring for a dog.

Unless she is fudging it and it is actually paid by HSE but otherwise I think that is a clear response.

Edit sorry Later your embedded link didn't show up the first time I looked at the thread. It looked like you had just posted a link

uln Registered User

later12 said:
Who told you this?
Seems to be an urban legend that made it to Dail Eireann. Twice.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2011/05/12/00064.asp

Thanks for that - I feared it was an urban legend!

SerialComplaint Registered User

uln said:
Thanks for that - I feared it was an urban legend!

I feared it wasn't.

1 person has thanked this post
MariMel Registered User

Its not true.
If anything it was commented that since I was on jobseekers that I should get rid of my dog!
My dog costs me about a tenner a week between insurance, food, flea and worming tablets. So even the €7 a week would be incredibly generous if that was the case.
As for the original post of it being €19......sure you get €29.50 for a child.
So thatd make it only a tenner more a week for a child that needs, fed, clothes etc etc, than a dog!!!!

Me thinks someone is telling you porkie pies!

mp22 Moderator

It was payed by the CWO some years ago under the supplementary welfare scheme.It is now finished.(dog gone so to speak)

Closed

2 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!