lefthook84 Registered User

Who are the best out of the vast amount of middle and super middle champs to come frm Ireland since 1990?

Steve collins, ray close, brian magee, sam storey, john duddy, andy lee, matthew macklin, jim rock? Anyone else im missing?

barney4001 Registered User

Only one other i see Henry Coyle won at Castlebar the other night, won 18 lost 2,though not in same league that you mentioned

eagle eye Registered User

Terry Christle comes to mind although he might have been a bit earlier than that.

cowzerp Registered User

Steve Collins definitely, was avoided most his career and when he got his shot showed why.

walshb Registered User

When Steve got his shot he was beaten. McCallum beat him fairly widely! He then lost a couple of years later to Reggie Johnson.

cowzerp Registered User

walshb said:
When Steve got his shot he was beaten. McCallum beat him fairly widely! He then lost a couple of years later to Reggie Johnson.

When he fought mike he was a relative novice and gave mike a hell of a fight-mike was avoided by everyone back then too, this fight is a plus on the Collins cv not a minus.

1 person has thanked this post
walshb Registered User

cowzerp said:
When he fought mike he was a relative novice and gave mike a hell of a fight-mike was avoided by everyone back then too, this fight is a plus on the Collins cv not a minus.

I thought Mike beat him fairly well. And he was about 15 or 16 fights into the career. A wee bit green, but far from a begineer or novice. I admire Collins a lot for his toughness and chin and stamina and heart, and at times he could be quite nice to watch; too many times he was not nice to watch!

lefthook84 Registered User

For what its worth on this list I would have
1. Collins
2. Close
3. Magee
4. Macklin
5. Lee

1 person has thanked this post
stagolee Registered User

barney4001 said:
Only one other i see Henry Coyle won at Castlebar the other night, won 18 lost 2,though not in same league that you mentioned

Although I hear Coyle beat Marcelo Rodriguez decisively you would be expecting to knock out a guy who has been knocked out in 2 rounds by a fighter with a 3-12-0 record, and in 2 rounds by a guy with a 4-4-0 record, and in 2 rounds by a guy with a 4-2-0 record...

Im fairly sure Steve Collins had a brother who also boxed maybe in USA

Just looked up boxrec there was a Pascal Collins from dublin middle /light heavy boxed in usa

Big Ears Registered User

barney4001 said:
Just looked up boxrec there was a Pascal Collins from dublin middle /light heavy boxed in usa

There was a Paschal.

Paschal is still around, he trains Stephen Ormond, Gary 'Spike' O'Sullivan and Ian Tims.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!