DEVOTION Registered User
#1

Hi,

After many months of my connection intermittently dropping I called Eircom and asked for the Netopia modem I got from them around 7 years ago to be replaced. The staff member explained that the old modems weren't compatible with my current service and that they would send out a new one, briefly mentioning a 12 month contract.

After further research, it seems to me like I'm being forced to tie myself down to a 12 month contract just to receive a modem, that I was never informed I now needed, to fully avail of what I have been paying for.

When did Eircom realise that the Netopia modems weren't sufficient for their service and why didn't Eircom contact people to let them know?

The new modem was delivered today but I would like to know if I can return it as I'm not willing to be forced into committing to another year. After spending 7 years with them I would like to feel I am free to leave if I ever wish to do so.

allen175 Registered User
#2

you would have been given the option to extend the contract to get a free modem, pay 50euro for an eircom branded one or buy your own 3rd party modem.

In regards to sending it back, i think you might have 30days to cancel it, but don't quote me on that, one of the Eircom lads will answer that.

Netopia modems are better then the Zyxel modems, what services do you have that the netopia modems are not compatable with?

DEVOTION Registered User
#3

allen175 said:
you would have been given the option to extend the contract to get a free modem, pay 50euro for an eircom branded one or buy your own 3rd party modem.

In regards to sending it back, i think you might have 30days to cancel it, but don't quote me on that, one of the Eircom lads will answer that.

Netopia modems are better then the Zyxel modems, what services do you have that the netopia modems are not compatable with?


Thanks for the info. I 100% was not given any other options.

#4

DEVOTION said:
Thanks for the info. I 100% was not given any other options.



Hi DEVOTION,

allen175 is correct, there are three options when requesting a new modem,

- Purchase a modem from eircom for €49.99 which will have an new 12 month warranty.

- Customers can agree to enter a new 12 month contract with eircom and get a modem sent out free of charge, with a new 12 month warranty.

- Or customers are free to purchase modems personally.

- Which should have been advised on the call.
------------------------------------

Can you PM me with the eircom account number and name on the account and I will look into the modem replacement request.


Thanks, Mark

Sponge Bob Banned
#5

There is no contrct unless he is offered a modem IN RETURN FOR a 12 month contract extension. If the staffer simply says they will send it out the recording will prove it.

No Recording of contract extension = No contract extension.

DEVOTION Registered User
#6

eircom: Mark said:
Hi DEVOTION,

allen175 is correct, there are three options when requesting a new modem,

- Purchase a modem from eircom for €49.99 which will have an new 12 month warranty.

- Customers can agree to enter a new 12 month contract with eircom and get a modem sent out free of charge, with a new 12 month warranty.

- Or customers are free to purchase modems personally.

- Which should have been advised on the call.
------------------------------------

Can you PM me with the eircom account number and name on the account and I will look into the modem replacement request.


Thanks, Mark


PM sent.

#7

DEVOTION said:
PM sent.


Hi DEVOTION,

I got your PM thanks, it may take a few days to investigate the call made to broadband technical support when the replacement modem was issued.

But I will get back to you early next week.

Thanks, Mark

DEVOTION Registered User
#8

Okay. I only have the new modem at the moment. If I hook up the modem in the meantime does that mean I'm committing to the contract?

The resolution I'd like from this issue is to send the modem back and buy my own one. I'd have chosen that option if given it when I called.

#9

DEVOTION said:
Okay. I only have the new modem at the moment. If I hook up the modem in the meantime does that mean I'm committing to the contract?

The resolution I'd like from this issue is to send the modem back and buy my own one. I'd have chosen that option if given it when I called.



Hi,

No, not to worry setting up the replacement modem will not be automatically committing to the contract.

Thanks, Mark

DEVOTION Registered User
#10

Hi,

Any updates on this?

#11

DEVOTION said:
Hi,

Any updates on this?



Thanks Devotion,

I'll check this and advise you shortly.

Best Wishes,
Ant

DEVOTION Registered User
#12

I guess I better just get on to Eircom and cancel altogether. I assume like most "contracts" that there is a cooling off period and I wouldn't want that period to run out whilst waiting for them to contact me about this would I.

#13

DEVOTION said:
I guess I better just get on to Eircom and cancel altogether. I assume like most "contracts" that there is a cooling off period and I wouldn't want that period to run out whilst waiting for them to contact me about this would I.


Hi DEVOTION,


I am sorry for the wait, I have been trying to see if I could get a recording of the call on 03/08/2012 with broadband support.

However they advised they were unable to locate a recording. So I asked them to check the case log with support and compare them with the order remarks on the modem request.

Both just state "customer agrees to extended contract".

I understand that you are saying you were not advised of any other options. However I was unable to verify that for you.

Mark

DEVOTION Registered User
#14

So........is that the end of this as far as Eircom are concerned? They didn't make a recording so therefore they are right? There is nothing to verify for me. I know what was not said in the phone call.

That's fine anyway, can you tell me if someone agrees to extended contract what is the cooling off period? And if you have a direct number I can contact that would be great too.

Sponge Bob Banned
#15

DEVOTION said:
So........is that the end of this as far as Eircom are concerned?


Probably.

However from your point of view there is no recording and therefore no new contract came into force on the 03/08/12. These are Comreg rules. !

That is not to say you are not in contract...from an earlier date.

If the lads cannot waive this contract renewal ..'note'....on the system you will easily get it waived if you make a "formal complaint" to eircom by email and cc it to consumerline@eircom.ie ...I think the email address is complaints (AT) eircom.ie

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!