Lostnfound Registered User

I've been thinking about this as a first half marathon, its either this or the Phoenix Park Half on the same day but the flat half in Athlone as a first somewhat appeals.

Anyone have any thoughts? - I don't know the area or the race so any advice appreciated.

http://athlonehalfmarathon.com/joomla16/

Its the races first year, i'm doing it myself as i'm from just outside Athlone. I was emailing the organiser regarding it and he says its pancake flat, which seems to be the case from race profile on the website. Be less of a crowd than Dublin so it should be more comfortable to run. Its well priced to for a half marathon IMO.

ekevosu Registered User

I signed up for this as well, more as a training, enjoy it type run than to get any sort of time. Free non alcoholic beer at the end as well is a nice touch. First year is probably going to be a bit chaotic at times but I think it'll be good, less crowded than the Dublin one but hopefully a good atmosphere.

seeryd Registered User

Hi There,

I'm one of the organisers and we really hope that this race is going to be a great success. It is on quiet country roads, very flat and the 20euro entrance fee includes a t-shirt and race finisher medal and oh yeah, a free non-alcoholic isotonic Erdinger beer after!!

Our original target was for 300 entrants and I think we will achieve this target easily. I wish you all the best with your training and hopefully we get to see you at the startline. Plenty of updates in the coming weeks on the race website and facebook page.

Yours in Sport
The Flatline - Athlone Half Marathon

2 people have thanked this post
iarmhi1975 Registered User

Hi All,

Just to help you make a decision as to what to do. It is the first event for us but we are all coming from a running or Triathlon background and have all been involved in running event s previously. Hopefully it will not be chaotic as we are working hard to cover all the items that we can foresee.

As I said we come from sporting backgrounds and want to put on a event that is enjoyable and offers people who have never completed the distance the opportunity to complete as well as give more serious runners the opportunity to break their Personal Bests. All this with the guiding principal that it is fair value.

We have been fortunate that local sponsors and the likes of Erdinger have come aboard based on the principals of the event and that is fair value and a good event.

We have a Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/athlonehalfmarathon

and a website

http://athlonehalfmarathon.com

• You will find a lot of information on both sites. There is a Garmin map of the course. At the highest point on the course the between kilometres 10-15 there is a rise of 40cms every 100ms. It really is that flat.!!
  • We have 4 entrants to the event who are blogging on the website and they range from those tring to set a PB to those trying to complete the distance. There are some really inspiring stories in the blogs.
  • We will have pacers on the day at 1.20hrs, 1.30hrs, 1.45hrs and 2.0hrs.
  • It will be chip timed
  • The Beer we will give to finishers is NON ALCOHOLIC but not just that, it is ISOTONIC. Might be unbelievable but it is true.
  • Anything that you need to know and can’t find on the website or Facebook page just drop us a note and we will help.

We are looking forward to a great event. At the moment it looks as if we will go over what we hoped for and we almost have 50/50 participation between male and female so that is great.

Hope to see you all on the day and thanks for considering the event.

Yours in Sport,

2 people have thanked this post

Hi All,

Just to help you make a decision as to what to do. It is the first event for us but we are all coming from a running or Triathlon background and have all been involved in running event s previously. Hopefully it will not be chaotic as we are working hard to cover all the items that we can foresee.

As I said we come from sporting backgrounds and want to put on a event that is enjoyable and offers people who have never completed the distance the opportunity to complete as well as give more serious runners the opportunity to break their Personal Bests. All this with the guiding principal that it is fair value.

We have been fortunate that local sponsors and the likes of Erdinger have come aboard based on the principals of the event and that is fair value and a good event.

We have a Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/athlonehalfmarathon

and a website

http://athlonehalfmarathon.com

• You will find a lot of information on both sites. There is a Garmin map of the course. At the highest point on the course the between kilometres 10-15 there is a rise of 40cms every 100ms. It really is that flat.!!
  • We have 4 entrants to the event who are blogging on the website and they range from those tring to set a PB to those trying to complete the distance. There are some really inspiring stories in the blogs.
  • We will have pacers on the day at 1.20hrs, 1.30hrs, 1.45hrs and 2.0hrs.
  • It will be chip timed
  • The Beer we will give to finishers is NON ALCOHOLIC but not just that, it is ISOTONIC. Might be unbelievable but it is true.
  • Anything that you need to know and can’t find on the website or Facebook page just drop us a note and we will help.

We are looking forward to a great event. At the moment it looks as if we will go over what we hoped for and we almost have 50/50 participation between male and female so that is great.

Hope to see you all on the day and thanks for considering the event.

Yours in Sport,

Thanks, looking forward to it, haven't entered yet getting Phoenix Park 10 mile out of the way first but will do.

meouldstock Registered User

Hi seeryd and iarmhi1975,

Will race entry be cut off once you get 300 participants or can people register after you reach that figure?
Do you have a closing date for registration?

I'd been thinking about this race but I won't know if that weekend will be free until the week before.

Cheers.

iarmhi1975 Registered User

The principal of the race is to allow people to run so we would not be in favour of turning people away at all. We can plan for more than 300, the route can easily cater for more, and have contingency with regards to T-shirts, Medals, Water, timing chips and the Beer for more .
We have guarenteed that there will be race entry on the day and we will stick to that. We will announce closer to the day how many will be available on the day.

If you want to run then you will run and we will look after you while you do.

Updates all the time on the Facebook page.

Online entry closes on Thursday September 13th for €20 and entry on the day is €25.

meouldstock Registered User

Cheers iarmhi1975, hopefully will get to see ye down there.

watergal Registered User

Looks good and a nice change to have an alternative to the Dublin half which I've been doing for the last number of years ( I live near enough to the pheonix park), so I think I'll give it a shot. Need to check if I'm working that weekend but should know early next week. As long as there's a place for joggers I'm happy
Did the Longford half a few days ago and it was very warm.. so beer will be welcome at the end..even non-alcoholic and even in the rain !

Also, a flat course is always a winner, especially for us plodders ..

blockic Registered User

Just registered for this due to Kilkenny HM being cancelled. Looking forward to it as based on what ive seen so far it looks like it will be well organised.

dizzymom Registered User

Looking forward to doing this flat half marathon, thrilled that its only 20 euro ! and you get a medal and tshirt and chipped ! more events should take note

1 person has thanked this post

This looks likes a good race and I think I'll do it. I wonder tho could someone confirm if it has been certified/measured course.
Thanks. Looking forward to it.

ManFromAtlantis said:
This looks likes a good race and I think I'll do it. I wonder tho could someone confirm if it has been certified/measured course.

I think it is, remember seeing it on there Facebook page. If your in doubt email the organiser, hes very prompt & accomodating usually.

ManFromAtlantis said:

Thought I saw somewhere that it was Athletics Ireland approved which would suggest the distance is correct. I've entered and am looking forward to it. My best races are over longer distances although I haven't tackled anything over 10 miles.

You could check the event website to confirm the finer details.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!