So I've had UPC this past 6 months after being a Sky TV customer. Below is a list (not in comparison to Sky) of what really get's on my nerves about the UPC Set Top Box.
- Poor Remote-Control Strength - even with new batteries the remote needs to be pointed directly at the box in order to work.
- Cheap remote control - almost all I pick up have things broken inside and rattling about and really does look and feel 'cheap'
- Layout and ergonomics of Remote control - can't tell if it's up or down or what in the dark and always find myself having to 'look' at the remote to see what's going on, also buttons are really uncomfortable to use and reach.
- Slow loading of the TV Guide - three to five seconds is just too long to be waiting around for the guide, when scrolling down the guide the listings are always playing catch-up and leaves for a very slow clunky experience.
- 'Go To Info Channel' Bug - Sometimes when I hit the 'volume up' button on the Remote it will flash up '5', then hiccup and go to the 'UPC Info Channel'...VERY ANNOYING
- 'The OMG You Pressed The Guide Button TWICE!' Bug - press it twice, three seconds later the guide begins to load...two seconds later the box thinks about things and knocks the guide off - two seconds later the box has another think and then as if it just realizes that you might actually want to see the guide it brings the Guide BACK UP and begins to load (a mouth-full sorry, but also VERY ANNOYING!)
Im sure if I sat here longer I could list off a million reason why I hate UPC...anyone else this pissed off with this box of clunky indecisive garbage?
YES!! I am... The remote control is a cheap heap of junk, hense why you have to point it directly in front of the box!
What really pisses me off about UPC is when I'm scrolling through the quick guide, if I scroll say from RTE1 to RTE2 and so on, sometimes the programmes from the 1st channel are then showing for every channel so half the time I don't know what programmes are on!!!
Then there are the times it just freezes for no reason, and then cuts out, and takes about 2 mins for it to reload itself... By the time the guide is loaded you could have ran to the shop, bought the paper and checked the guide in that instead..
Sky is much better, I'm only with UPC for the price!
All valid concerns me thinks. I would say if they charged you for the actual box and didnt take it back after contract is up then they would probably get better equipment.
I used to hate my UPC box tbh.
The remote blows, the struggle to change a channel or get a response is dismal.
I don't even try to use the guide. Takes way too long to load, and scrolling though it is a challenge due to the poor responsiveness of the button presses on the remote.
And the random power cycles that it goes through as well are a pain. This is the one I have
...not sure if it is the equipment tbh, it seems more like whoever designed and coded the firmware on the box was fresh out of tha luney bin or playschool
@Jonny Drama - it's quicker if you unplug the box when it freezes like that...flucking redonkulious I know...
Whats up with mine anyway - I mean...I went on the website there and seen a lovely black sleek lookin machine, when I opened the box during my 'self installation service < LoL' I saw they sent me a silver VCR...that's not right, is it?
I have the HD box and low and behold the remote on this also is
a bag of sh*te.
Non responsive isnt the word, I would say an old 1980's tv remote would work quicker, shocking in this day and age.
I have had to change the box twice already so I am on my 3rd box and we are paying money every month for this.
but as previously suggested its the price and content you get for your money thats the key to staying with them.
4 simple reasons why for us:
- 1 Bill - 1 Direct Debit
- HD Content for only €5 a month
- ESPN/HD and Setanta/HD without having to get sky sports
- Broadband and Calls as well
if they want to corner more of the market, obvioulsy not that bothered about Irish customers even though they are setting up a new call centre here, time will tell.
That'd be a bad move. New customers would be left shouldering the cost of two or three boxes on install (maybe up to €800) and would be left with useless equipment when they cancelled. I'm not sure anyone would really benefit.
I'm not a big fan of the black remote either (though it is better than the small grey remotes NTL were supplying in later days). I don't mind the grey UPC remote. The channel changing bug is extremely annoying, however.
Is this just my hd box - when you are rewinding or forwarding and then press play it jumps forward a few seconds first i.e. never plays exactly from where you stop?
It's not just your box. Ours does the same and it can be very annoying.
I'm a recent convert to UPC after 20 years of Sky. Initially, I just got the broadband, then added the HD box.
Its very slow to choose channels comparted to Sky and I get frequent picture freezes (one just before the 100m Final last night). But its way cheaper than Sky so I'll put up with it.
One thing that REALLY annoys me is the blanket advertising for 'On Demand' TV, the box sets and so on.
NOTE TO UPC....It DOESN'T work in Navan, and no one can tell me when it does. I'm sure its probably Dublin only at the moment and is bordering on false advertising to keep plugging it as they do.
...you think the adverts for 'On Demand TV' annoy you! My stupid bloody box keeps going to that stupid 'Info Channel' (the one where On Demand TV is advertised 24/7) 5 out of 10 times I press the volume up button!
...anywho, a little birdie told me Sky are entering the home BB market here in Ireland later this year - as I've no interest in Setanta I'll more than likely burn and dance on the UPC box when that happens
So far today, (its now 6.20pm), I've had 4 picture freezes, mostly during the Olympic coverage.
The latest one has been there for 5 minutes and even unplugging the power lead has not brought back a picture.
Getting really pissed off now, this rarely, if ever, happened with Sky
Have had to change 3 hd boxes so far with a 4th on the horizon (after 2 yrs) The image starts to pixelate, starts to lose channels one by one. Their boxes are crap. There is a lag on their remote, press it a couple of times and you will move passed the channel you want.