• Yes, had gamepass before and will buy it this season regardless (31.91%)
  • Yes, buying gamepass for the first time regardless (23.4%)
  • No, had gamepass before but not buying it with blackouts, wil use sky (2.13%)
  • No, was going to buy gamepass for the first time but not with blackouts, will use sky (6.38%)
  • No, had gamepass before but not buying it with blackouts, wil use streams (12.77%)
  • No, was going to buy gamepass for the first time but not with blackouts, will use streams (23.4%)
human 19 Registered User

Copy of an email senttoday to gamepass.support@nfl.com
-----------------

Hello,
If my Gamepass subscription auto-renewal is still swithched on, please cancel it , because of this:

For Users accessing in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland
A: Weekly blackout restrictions apply to all subscriptions (Season Plus, Season, Monthly, Weekly, and Follow Your Team) for locally televised games during both the 1pm ET and 4pm ET game windows on Sunday. These live game broadcasts will be blacked out in your area while the game is in progress. You will be able to watch them in the NFL Game Pass archives six (6) days after their conclusion

The NFL Playoffs are not available for live streaming within NFL Game Pass in the UK and Republic of Ireland.

Thank you.

2 people have thanked this post
infacteh Registered User

I took the plunge and signed up. It works out at less than a tenner a week.....

Have Sky Sports too, but if Aston Villa had a package like this, I'd cancel the Sky Sports

kevinb99101 Registered User

I just mailed NFL GamePass support to let them know that I was unhappy with the new restrictions that they are imposing and that they should revert to the feature set that was available last year. They sent back a canned response about 15 min later saying that there was nothing they could so and that the restrictions would stay in place this year.

so looks like I'll be stuck trying to find on-line streams when the bears games are shown on sky sports - pain in the a$$..

Do sky sports have the red-zone channel? that was one of my fav features of the GamePass package.....

infacteh Registered User

kevinb99101 said:

Do sky sports have the red-zone channel? that was one of my fav features of the GamePass package.....

Sky Sports from Sky has Red Zone. UPC Sky Sports doesn't have it.

themont85 Registered User

Syferus said:
Why would you stay signed up for twelve months when the season is only five?

Sky is pretty mediocre for the NFL and no way would I have it if it was just for that. It's one of those things that if you're into one or a few of the Premier League, Heineken Cup, Cricket and everything else they have then it's worth it.

If your priority is NFL only it's a complete waste.

matthew8 Registered User

themont85 said:
Sky is pretty mediocre for the NFL and no way would I have it if it was just for that. It's one of those things that if you're into one or a few of the Premier League, Heineken Cup, Cricket and everything else they have then it's worth it.

If your priority is NFL only it's a complete waste.

Not if you like redzone.

themont85 Registered User

matthew8 said:
Not if you like redzone.

If Redzone is blocked on Gamepass that is...

Even still, not worth it if your priority is the NFL.

Bateman Registered User

TBH I don't think using last season's live games per team is much of an indicator of what they'll show this season. Having said that, I obviously don't know what their criteria are.

In fairness though, I remember looking at each weekend's fixtures and each weekend I was thinking there were at least one or two games I'd prefer to watch to the live one they were showing at 6 (I guess they don't have a choice for the 9pm slot as there is/are only one/two game per week scheduled at this time). So for people who are interested in the sport but don't claim to be a "fan" of a team based five thousand miles away, the clincher won't necessarily be whether or not you can watch the Sky games. Although taking this place as a snapshot of NFL's Irish following, I see most people obviously have their favourite teams. I'd say the Colts are my favourite team but when something like Giants v Packers rolls around live on Sky I can't see myself watching Indianapolis @ Jacksonville at the same time…

Vikings Registered User

Has anyone found out/confirmed if you buy your gamepass subscription in Ireland with an Irish credit card but log in using a VPN to say you are in another region will redzone be available and black outs lifted?

Or if I use a VPN to pretend I am in another region to sign up but log in without a VPN will it revert me to the blackouts etc?

Anyone looked into that?

adrian522 Moderator

That's been the case in the past.

On the NFLUK forum there was a veiled threat that any attempt to get around the restrictions would result in your account being suspended without refund.

I'd imagine it will be fine to do that though.

jack presley Moderator

Vikings said:
Has anyone found out/confirmed if you buy your gamepass subscription in Ireland with an Irish credit card but log in using a VPN to say you are in another region will redzone be available and black outs lifted?

Or if I use a VPN to pretend I am in another region to sign up but log in without a VPN will it revert me to the blackouts etc?

Anyone looked into that?

Where you sign up has no bearing on whether you get blacked out or not (and that is determined by your credit card address not your IP address).

It is where you are accessing the service that determines access. So if you are an Irish subscriber but in Sweden for example on your holidays, you won't be blacked out while you are there.

So unless you have a foreign cc, you'll have to sign up as being from Ireland but hopefully the use of a VPN will get us access to blacked out games.

VPNs are fairly secure (well ones bought from reputable suppliers) so there's no way they'll be able to monitor where people are viewing from so I wouldn't worry about threats of getting cut off

what is the deal with a 'blackout?

why do they exist, what do they achieve?

and why do we paddys get blacked out!?

i was going to sign up for the pass but having no RedZone is a massive loss

jack presley Moderator

WilcoOut said:
what is the deal with a 'blackout?

why do they exist, what do they achieve?

and why do we paddys get blacked out!?

i was going to sign up for the pass but having no RedZone is a massive loss

Sky (probably) pay a lot of money for the rights to the NFL games and to make that money back they need to sell subscriptions and advertising. If everyone is watching on Gamepass, their numbers will be down so revenue will be down as well so they make a deal with the NFL to have blackouts so people will still subscribe and watch so advertisers will pay to advertise during the games.

As for Ireland being included, Sky (or it could be ESPN, whoever) have the right s for both the UK and Ireland so that's why we're getting stung with the blackouts too. I'd say it was just an oversight that we got away with it last year.

Paully D Registered User

Lads, not to get anyone's hopes up and I'd urge people who are thinking of signing up if there's no restrictions not to sign up until they have official confirmation, but has anyone seen the new 2012 FAQ on the Gamepass website?

http://gamepassuk.support.nfl.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=363224&SPID=44867&DB_OEM_ID=22900&ATCLID=205459254

Are there any blackouts with NFL Game Pass?

No, all games in NFL Game Pass are available live and without blackout restrictions.

Tough shít Paully, my hopes are now up. This is all on you if it goes tits up!!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!