toby2111 Registered User

Reckon I've a yeast/gluten allergy which is a pain cos I love me beer!!Did a bit of research,saw yeast and gluten free beer like Estrella Daura and Greens.All seem very pricey(and reviews are mixed on how they taste!).
Came across Saxon beer,brewed by Carlsberg-http://www.saxonbeer.com/
Interested to know if anyone has seen this around?Or any other decently priced yeast free beer?

BeerNut Moderator

Pretty much every mass-produced lager will be yeast free.

toby2111 Registered User

BeerNut said:
Pretty much every mass-produced lager will be yeast free.

So is Carlsberg etc yeast free?I thought most lagers here contained yeast,wheat,gluten?

BeerNut Moderator

No wheat. Gluten: yes probably. The yeast will all have been killed and filtered out.

Before you cut out beer etc, go to your GP, they can do a blood test to confirm or deny your suspicions.

mmcn90 said:
Before you cut out beer etc, go to your GP, they can do a blood test to confirm or deny your suspicions.

Good idea. My wife was sure I'd an allergy to wheat as I was having awful sinus problems. Turns out it was a mild infection that had never been treated. Dose of anti biotics & I was fine. Dr confirmed no allergy & I can drink beer again!

toby2111 Registered User

Yeh,I'll go to GP next week,fingers crossed its just an infection!!Don't fancy having to give up the few beers!

toby2111 said:
Yeh,I'll go to GP next week,fingers crossed its just an infection!!Don't fancy having to give up the few beers!

I thought I was Coeliac, turned out to just be a bad virus. Went to the GP, had the results the following day.

hardCopy Registered User

If you're getting checked make sure you get a proper anti-body test done. There are a load of spoofers these days offering all sorts of food intolerance tests that aren't worth a damn. My own dad got fleeced by one of these on referral from his own GP.

http://www.coeliac.ie/coeliac_disease/getting_diagnosed

hardCopy said:
If you're getting checked make sure you get a proper anti-body test done. There are a load of spoofers these days offering all sorts of food intolerance tests that aren't worth a damn. My own dad got fleeced by one of these on referral from his own GP.

http://www.coeliac.ie/coeliac_disease/getting_diagnosed

Good point, my gp actually took the blood tests and sent them to a hospital lab. I wasn't referred to anyone else

1 person has thanked this post
yoyo Moderator

toby2111 said:
So is Carlsberg etc yeast free?I thought most lagers here contained yeast,wheat,gluten?

All alcohol drinks have yeast, particularly beers, ciders and wine. I have a yeast intollerance myself and even small amounts of beer will repeat on me the next day. Only had 5 cans and a chinese last night (msg is full of yeast) and don't feel great today,

Nick

Tube Registered User

yoyo said:
All alcohol drinks have yeast, particularly beers,

Mass produced beers have been filtered to within an inch of their lives. 0.5 micron filters are physically too small for 99.99% of yeast to pass through.

yoyo said:
(msg is full of yeast)

MSG is Mono Sodium Glutamate, a chemical, just like Sodium Chloride. There is no yeast in either.

yoyo Moderator

Tube said:
Mass produced beers have been filtered to within an inch of their lives. 0.5 micron filters are physically too small for 99.99% of yeast to pass through.

MSG is Mono Sodium Glutamate, a chemical, just like Sodium Chloride. There is no yeast in either.

I went to an expert who informed me beer has yeast in it, maybe not a huge amount, but enough to upset people with intollerances. Same as there yeast in msg (I think yeast extract is part of MSG). The fact that I wake up after having a chinese or meal full of msg feeling bloated (no alcohol either) means that it effects me, and I have a yeast intollerance. Fwiw I had 5 cans the following day/no meal with a lot of msg and felt fine,

Nick

Tube Registered User

yoyo said:
The fact that I wake up after having a chinese or meal full of msg feeling bloated (no alcohol either) means that it effects me,

Not really scientific tho, is it? Maybe you have a problem with yeast, and something else, like MSG itself.

blindside88 Registered User

Thought I was caoeliac (prob not correct spelling) a couple of years ago, went on a gluten free diet, had blood and scope tests and came back negative, consultant suggested I change my beer, changed from heineken to carlsberg and not a bother since, try change your beer in the mean time while your waiting for results

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!