MaudL Registered User
#1

I would love to have your opinion, as I am looking into switching from Ulster Bank.

I have narrowed it down to between BOI and PTSB, but I have no previous experience with either one, so if you could give me some pros and cons that would be great.

I'll be opening a current account with debit card and an online savings account.

Thanks in advance!

faolteam Registered User
#2

hidden charges im closing my account

MaudL Registered User
#3

Thanks for responding. Would you mind explaining what kind of hidden charges?

Sarn Registered User
#4

I've been banking with BOI for years. For my basic banking needs I've never had any problems, and to date I've never been hit with charges. BOI are up front about what you need to do to avail of free fees. There are hoops that you need to jump through to avoid paying them which is mildly annoying, but at least you can get free banking.

I have also banked with nearly all of the others and have found the service to be similar in most cases. The only one that I've had problems with is Ulster Bank and that was before the current fiasco.

#5

PTSB do free day to day banking. Im moving to them once my ulster bank accounts are back in order!

mhge Registered User
#6

Sarn said:
I've been banking with BOI for years. For my basic banking needs I've never had any problems, and to date I've never been hit with charges. BOI are up front about what you need to do to avail of free fees. There are hoops that you need to jump through to avoid paying them which is mildly annoying, but at least you can get free banking.


How do they sort out setting up new transfer recipients? I used to have a BOI account and I closed it because you had to wait for a confirmation letter in the post to set one up, and generally a lot of operations were done that way. Also, they didn't have Visa Debit at the time.

I will be leaving UB I guess, so it's between BOI and PTSB as well...

Sarn Registered User
#7

mhge said:
How do they sort out setting up new transfer recipients? I used to have a BOI account and I closed it because you had to wait for a confirmation letter in the post to set one up, and generally a lot of operations were done that way. Also, they didn't have Visa Debit at the time.

I will be leaving UB I guess, so it's between BOI and PTSB as well...


After registering a mobile number you can then add payees by mobile phone confirmation but the transfer will be limited to €3,000. They also have Visa debit now.

1 person has thanked this post
Kev. Registered User
#8

I am currently a mortgage holder with PTSB,a decision I will regret for the rest of my life...

2 people have thanked this post
2qk4u Registered User
#9

Kev. said:
I am currently a mortgage holder with PTSB,a decision I will regret for the rest of my life...


+1 ....

hairyprincess Registered User
#10

Kev. said:
I am currently a mortgage holder with PTSB,a decision I will regret for the rest of my life...


2qk4u said:
+1 ....


Why?

2 people have thanked this post
John Mason Hosted Moderator
#11

whatever you do stay away from BOI and AIB. horrendous customer service an charges.

this is the reason i will never leave ulster bank

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!