waynegalway Registered User
#16

Just on battery issues (again):

Were there similar issues with the S2 in the early days?

I read somewhere that the "Cell Standby" consuming battery is a fault with the S3 that may be sorted with a firmware update from Samsung at some stage.

It's this standby that's consuming most of my battery, rather than browsing of screen. It's basically on all the time, but can it be switched off, or has it to be left alone?

I've installed Juice Defender on the "balanced" profile, so hopefully that will help.

Zagato Registered User
#17

Only way to switch it off is to switch to airplane mode - then you'd have an android version of iPod Touch!

It may be that it improves with new versions of the baseband(aka radio or modem) as they get rolled out with firmware updates.

god's toy Registered User
#18

waynegalway said:
Just on battery issues (again):

Were there similar issues with the S2 in the early days?



Yep I remember them well! The GS2 lasted longer then the GS but had lag, after a few updates to the Firmware the lag and standby times were much improved.

I'm seeing that Cell standby thing too and have found a quick restart sorts it for me.

Kenny Logins Registered User
#19

waynegalway said:
I'm not overly impressed with the system for getting media onto the phone, but I'll get used to it.


What system?

waynegalway Registered User
#20

Kenny Logins said:
What system?


Kies. But I've learned that I can drag and drop without using Kies. Ripping CDs into kies is very messy compared to itunes IMO

Kenny Logins Registered User
#21

Kenny Logins said:
What system?


Kies. But I've learned that I can drag and drop without using Kies. Ripping CDs into kies is very messy compared to itunes IMO


Kies is ****e. Try Media Monkey, drag and drop.

waynegalway Registered User
#22

Kenny Logins said:
What system?


Kies. But I've learned that I can drag and drop without using Kies. Ripping CDs into kies is very messy compared to itunes IMO


Kies is ****e. Try Media Monkey, drag and drop.


I'll try that, thanks. Does it rip cds okay? My problem with kies was that it made a mess of tracks after ripping, putting them into its own idea of what albums they should be in rather than just ripping a cd to a single folder.

elderlemon Registered User
#23

You running on a windows pc? If so why not use media player. Rip the cd and the phone will show up in the the sync panel and then just drag and drop.

waynegalway said:
I'll try that, thanks. Does it rip cds okay? My problem with kies was that it made a mess of tracks after ripping, putting them into its own idea of what albums they should be in rather than just ripping a cd to a single folder.

#24

Every time I make a phone call the person on the other end says they can barely hear me. It's got the the point of me shouting down the phone. It must be the way we hold it and where the speaker is.

s_carnage Registered User
#25

Anyone notice that every so often (maybe twice a week) when you unlock your screen a few apps start up by themselves. It's always the same ones too. AIB internet banking, phonebook and three more I can't recall now.

waynegalway Registered User
#26

elderlemon said:
You running on a windows pc? If so why not use media player. Rip the cd and the phone will show up in the the sync panel and then just drag and drop.



I use a PC at work and a Mac at home. As it happens, most of my media is on the PC, so thanks for the tip.

I'd also like to be able to rip easily on the Mac, though! iTunes rips really well, and I have found out how to drag and drop media from the iTunes library, but the cover art doesn't make the transition. Not a deal breaker, but it's nice to have the cover art.

waynegalway Registered User
#27

Hi,

Just wondering, is there a way to get a little badge onto the messaging app to highlight if you have any unread messages, like on the iphone?

I know the notifications show up in the central notifications area, but an app badge is what I'm used to!

Meesared Registered User
#28

waynegalway said:
Hi,

Just wondering, is there a way to get a little badge onto the messaging app to highlight if you have any unread messages, like on the iphone?

I know the notifications show up in the central notifications area, but an app badge is what I'm used to!

Handcent SMS has a Widget with an unread messages counter, its waaaay better than the stock messaging app too

LaughingJoker91 Registered User
#29

waynegalway said:
Hi,

Just wondering, is there a way to get a little badge onto the messaging app to highlight if you have any unread messages, like on the iphone?

I know the notifications show up in the central notifications area, but an app badge is what I'm used to!

It does. A little number will appear showing number of unread messages. Well it does on mine at least?

Also it will be in the status bar until you clear it...

waynegalway Registered User
#30

LaughingJoker91 said:
It does. A little number will appear showing number of unread messages. Well it does on mine at least?

Also it will be in the status bar until you clear it...


I see it in the status bar alright, but defintley doesn't show up as a badge in the icon. I have the icon docked on my locke screen and main home screen, so a badge would be handy

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!