BTH Moderator

Just received this text from *****. A google search doesn't throw up anything so I'm going to presume its a little dodgy unless someone can advise otherwise. Website name looks a little off anyway

Congratulations! You are Ireland's WINNER OF THE DAY! Go to http://www-MODEDIT-.apple.ie.totalfreegiveaway.com to claim your prize. Must claim within 24 hrs.

cookie1977 Registered User

It's dodgy. Ignore and delete it

frozenfrozen Registered User

so legit just printed out my ipad 7 thnx OP

2 people have thanked this post
jeano8 Registered User

BetterThanHoyte said:
Just received this text from ***. A google search doesn't throw up anything so I'm going to presume its a little dodgy unless someone can advise otherwise. Website name looks a little off anyway

Congratulations! You are Ireland's WINNER OF THE DAY! Go to http://www.apple.ie.totalfreegiveaway.com to claim your prize. Must claim within 24 hrs.

Me too wth?? How do they get our numbers? Probably a virus

libertyfly Registered User

I received the exact same at 09.21 this morning. Joining the dots: yesterday I was looking for an insurance quote for my car and I filled in a form online with Liberty Insurance and when I googled up the link for the winner of the day I ended up here, and as it happened the first pop up ad was from Liberty Insurance; that part is probably coincidence. Insurance/assurance companies generally have a poor reputation in my book. They probably flog potential [+ real] customers information to anyone who will buy it. Also, about a week ago, If I recall correctly, I entered for some i Pad competition . Bottom line: we've been spammed!

BTH Moderator

I received the exact same at 09.21 this morning. Joining the dots: yesterday I was looking for an insurance quote for my car and I filled in a form online with Liberty Insurance and when I googled up the link for the winner of the day I ended up here, and as it happened the first pop up ad was from Liberty Insurance; that part is probably coincidence. Insurance/assurance companies generally have a poor reputation in my book. They probably flog potential [+ real] customers information to anyone who will buy it. Also, about a week ago, If I recall correctly, I entered for some i Pad competition . Bottom line: we've been spammed!

I haven't been looking for insurance in months and wouldn't have gone near Liberty/Quinn in years.

Needless to say I didn't follow the link anyway, figured it was fairly dodgy alright.

KatyMac Registered User

Me just received one of these texts coupda minutes ago. I've done no web browsing, and certainly don't fill in on line forms so don't know how they got my number. Awful nuisance (and cheek). Are we going to have to buy antivirus for our basic phones now? Aaaaagh!

frozenfrozen Registered User

libertyfly said:
If I recall correctly, I entered for some i Pad competition .

iPad competition as in "YOU'VE WON AN IPAD!!!!!!!!! ENTER YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER BELOW ALONG WITH YOUR PHONE NUMBER TO RECEIVE YOUR PRIZE AND 8 MILLION DOLLARS"

Hobbes Registered User

What happens is they ask for your mobile phone number to confirm you won, then rip off all your credit from SMS spam. Niece got caught out on it.

[edit] Checked the link. It is spam. You should probably do a STOP ALL reply and check your credit before/after.

BTH Moderator

Hobbes said:
What happens is they ask for your mobile phone number to confirm you won, then rip off all your credit from SMS spam. Niece got caught out on it.

[edit] Checked the link. It is spam. You should probably do a STOP ALL reply and check your credit before/after.

BUt they have my mobile number, they sent me a damn text...

kindalen Registered User

Just got this text, where do they get our numbers?

ariidae Registered User

I got it also. I USED to be with Quinn insurance but that was several years ago (same phone number then).

It could be a random number generator ..

pfurey101 Registered User

My text arrived at 14:03 - McAfee site blocker gave a me a "Whoa Dont go there" warning as the URL was forwarded to another dodgy site.

Ba5tards are everywhere!

Stay clear - horrible muckers!

Make sure your kids with mobiles are alerted!

Its the first time I have got a text so blatantly nasty.

Dades Would you like to know more?

BetterThanHoyte said:
BUt they have my mobile number, they sent me a damn text...
Doesn't seem to matter - the system is flawed.

I got a bunch of unsolicited texts from some spammer which I ignored until I found out they were costing me €2 each to receive. I had to text STOP to get rid of them and of course it wasn't Vodafone's problem.

I don't want the money back I want 5 minutes alone in a room with the f*cker who runs that text spam operation.

squidget72 Registered User

Just got it now. Phone number +1 **** is sender. I think that's a US number. State Code 631 is New York State.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!